Pattaya tunnel behind schedule, more delays expected

Rimmer

Pattaya tunnel behind schedule, more delays expected

PATTAYA:--The Sukhumvit-Central Road bypass tunnel is nearly 60 percent complete, but contractors admit the job is taking longer than hoped.

Project manager Rachan Chan and advisor Somchai Panpao said July 27 that initial plans called for 65.7 percent of the 475-meter-long tunnel to be finished by now. However, the job is only 56.6% done, they said.

Contractors currently are working inside the tunnel, mainly creating walls and metal reinforcements to strengthen the interior.

Read More:http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-tunnel-behind-schedule-delays-expected-144375

PATTAYA MAIL: 2016-08-05

36 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

65.7 percent of the 475-meter-long tunnel to be finished by now. However, the job is only 56.6% done, they said.

Don't you love the exact percentages, it shows they are accountant rather than engineers.

Speaking of engineers, could someone with appropriate qualifications comment on this;

38 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Contractors currently are working inside the tunnel, mainly creating walls and metal reinforcements to strengthen the interior.

15 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well thats better than i would have expected. news seems to be fairly negative about this tunnel but when it is finished it will be great and far less unsightly than an overpass.

Since when did it start to matter that something looks unsightly in Pattaya?:giggle:

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Don't you love the exact percentages, it shows they are accountant rather than engineers.

No. Any excuse for a little bash, eh?

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Speaking of engineers, could someone with appropriate qualifications comment on this;

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Common sense will do as a qualification. It tells many of us that the walls of the tunnel can't be just mud and lack any reinforcement. You can probably work out the reasons for yourself without studying engineering. Try to think of the last unreinforced mud tunnel you drove through with 18-wheelers above you.

Edited by JSixpack

30 minutes ago, Litlos said:

I am just waiting to see how this new drain handles the stormwater.

Cheers

Raised (sloping upward) entrances at both sides, to prevent the water from flowing into the tunning (I guess).

7 minutes ago, i claudius said:

As i hear you will have to pay to use it ,who i wonder will bother?

where did you hear that?

I think a toll makes no sense for such a short tunnel.

I can also only shake my head at the introduction of tolls on highway 7 near Pattaya.

Pattaya should have pushed for the stretch leading to highway 36 to be toll free, what they are doing now will create major traffic problems on the already engorged highway 3, and the traffic of highway 36 from Rayong will also need some way to get to Pattaya.

7 minutes ago, manarak said:

where did you hear that?

I think a toll makes no sense for such a short tunnel.

I can also only shake my head at the introduction of tolls on highway 7 near Pattaya.

Pattaya should have pushed for the stretch leading to highway 36 to be toll free, what they are doing now will create major traffic problems on the already engorged highway 3, and the traffic of highway 36 from Rayong will also need some way to get to Pattaya.

Actually i read it on the boards here on TV , on another note i just cannot imagine what the traffic here in Pattaya is going to be like in the next few years , with the new dept store opening , i remember how beach road became clogged when central opened , and has got worse over the years , in fact we now no longer go out near town at weekends .

1 minute ago, i claudius said:

Actually i read it on the boards here on TV , on another note i just cannot imagine what the traffic here in Pattaya is going to be like in the next few years , with the new dept store opening , i remember how beach road became clogged when central opened , and has got worse over the years , in fact we now no longer go out near town at weekends .

yes, at some point it will be necessary to pierce a passage somewhere at the southern end of beach road.

but the traffic got yucky in most of the city.