Cant get money from my SCB account from overseas ATM

Im in the UK

Last week i withdrew about 300,000 baht in cash from an ATM in the UK. My daily limit is supposed to be 500,000 baht

Today I tried to withdraw and it says in one atm my daily limit is reached. And i tried another bank it told me to contact issuing bank

Im just wondering if Thailand had some policy to freeze accounts if you take a lot of money from overseas ATM?  Seems a bit strange. 

Has anyone else had problems with it? 

Normally you would pre-advise your local Bank that overseas travel/ and transactions, especially large International transactions are planned.

The Mother bank in LOS may have enacted a security limitation, upon notification from the one in the UK.

did you contact your Bank prior?

I made a similar mistake, doing a biggie in Thailand, from an Australian bank.

It took a couple of phonecalls, as they really didn't appreciate my not having pre-informed them

My SCB account got shut down after I used it in Malaysia, not a large amount, about 10k baht but they did after a lot of skimming was going on.

When I contacted the bank to reset my card, we agreed that they will call my wife when they see an overseas withdrawal as she knows my whereabouts. 

At least they seems to be taking care of my money which is sort of the purpose with a bank.

Yes I saw that they are changing the cards to chip cards, I better do that soon.

14 hours ago, tifino said:

Normally you would pre-advise your local Bank that overseas travel/ and transactions, especially large International transactions are planned.

The Mother bank in LOS may have enacted a security limitation, upon notification from the one in the UK.

did you contact your Bank prior?

I made a similar mistake, doing a biggie in Thailand, from an Australian bank.

It took a couple of phonecalls, as they really didn't appreciate my not having pre-informed them

Yes banks try to "protect" your money when large withdrawals are made abroad. Sometimes I think their real reason is to discourage withdrawals. With Forex they now ask what your using YOUR money for. Nosy buggars. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes banks try to "protect" your money when large withdrawals are made abroad. Sometimes I think their real reason is to discourage withdrawals. With Forex they now ask what your using YOUR money for. Nosy buggars. 

They're not trying to discourage withdrawals.  Just acting sensibly as they are ultimately liable for fraudulent withdrawals.  Protecting your money and theirs.

15 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

SCB is transferring all cards to chip card, contact your bank.

Did that myself (Krungsri Bank) BUT then discovered that quite a lot of ATMs are not yet set up for Chip and Pin - especially units up country and next to filling stations and 7/11s out of central BKK. So do not rely on finding a machine that will accept your card - get cash out before you travel.

Some years back there was a big scandal in Thailand.  The discovery of a racket of false credit cards worth millions.  Banks are always suspicious of S.E.Asia.  Up until then I never thought to tell my bank about my doings or travels.  I withdrew money from the ATM, but was cut off at the second.  I have a Mastercard and an Amex.  For the former, I inform the bank of all travel dates and any country I may be likely be in.  For the latter I contact Amex with the same details.  For once the banks are protecting the client,  and of course themselves too.

Call them and say it's you....I don't know how you will verify that. Normally SCB call me when they see transactions going on overseas just to check it's me. I've never had a problem using the cards. Maybe they tried to call you, couldn't get through (or your Thai SIM is off when you're in the UK?), decided then to protect the account when they couldn't reach you

Edited by BKKBrit

14 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

But you will once you leave Thailand.

No, I will not.  The money I have in Thailand stays in the bank, till I come back.  I never had an atm card before I came to Thailand.  In the states,  I use  credit cards for purchases that are set up on monthly auto-pay.