Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DTAC and True SIM cards are registered with my passport. That's all they are getting from me. Any new, mandatory sim cards will be bought through a Thai, on principle only, just so I don't participate in their ludicrous program.

Fight the power!!!!  :-)

8 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

Roaming rates are very very expensive, so most people who stay here would convert, its not a big deal to do, unless you want to think it is?

You think a would be terrorist would bother to save on a couple of thousand baht?

Also, how old are you that you actually still make calls on your phone instead of using apps like Line, Whatsapp etc? And do you realise that even on a foreign sim card, 3G internet access a day is only about 300-400 baht?

So, once again, how would you compel a tourist to purchase a sim card? How would you implement such a poorly thought out plan?

4 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

seems like a difficult concept to police. i currently use a sim card registered to my wife, so does her mother, and one of her sisters...

can't see police stop me to extract my sim and place it in a testing device to see who it is registered to.

me too

44 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

if it eliminates all the forms at immigration I'am all for it, Only those who have something to hide will worry about this one.

Are you trying to bankrupt the paper and photocopying industries in Thailand. :-)

and anytime you barfine or with a woman other than your wife rtc. the phone camera must be turned on.

when leaving the country you must scan your phone at your exit spot.

If you turn off your phone while in Thailand you are considered in violation.

This is gonna get scarry

Give me a free sim card if you want. I won't pay for one. Make me. Go on. Do it. I dare you. 

It will go straight in the bin. 

If you tell me I have to carry a phone with one of these sim cards in it, I won't. What will you do about it, sunshine? Well, what?

Deport me? OK ... do it.

This is clearly a local idea thought up in recent weeks to replace the national security threat that 'Pokemon Go' has become.

Local gamers will be given photos of foreigners they have to track down on their phones and capture, destroy or exterminate. In doing so gamers will be able to continue to have fun whilst ridding the nation of foreigners at the same time.

28 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

It is OK to track us.I do not need to hide anything!!!

Anyway,satellite can do it for a long time already!!!

And when they perform random home checks without notice, looking through your personal belongings as if you are a criminal, like they do to some foreigners in parts of China, that's ok too? How about when they mistakenly accuse you of something you didn't do and have the proof to arrest you, even though their proof is not correct and based on incorrect technical data? 

Erosion of privacy is a very slippery slope, and humans always repeat history. Welcoming such things because you have nothing to hide is naive.

4 hours ago, cmsally said:

Mobile phone "no have". Will I get arrested for that ?

Don't be silly, everybody has a mobile phone and they take it every where they go....

58 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

if it eliminates all the forms at immigration I'am all for it, Only those who have something to hide will worry about this one.

Yeah, perfect justification for taking away everyone's right to privacy - you'll all be fine if you have nothing to hide.

So if you have 2 mobile phones will you be lucky enough to get two of the "special" SIM'S. Strap one to the dog and one to the cat, always wondered where they wandered too. May be a way to find lost pets, now that could be useful. 

sim cards are overrated, everything I do, have done, intend to do with my smartphone very rarely involves a simcard, 99.9% of the time it is not involved in my phone usage activities, I could take it out and be hard pressed to notice it isn't there

Or what do you think about this solution, buy another phone, put in this new "falang"  card, let it at home, switched on or off,  doesn't matter.

Buy again another phone by your GF with sim card, and use this.

And if it is not possible more to use a prepaid card, let again your GF make a new subscription, there are always solutions.

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

sim cards are overrated, everything I do, have done, intend to do with my smartphone very rarely involves a simcard, 99.9% of the time it is not involved in my phone usage activities, I could take it out and be hard pressed to notice it isn't there

Ah. Another AIS customer.

Winnie

Unfortunately I have no immediate  plans to use a sim card from Thailand , so Prayut can go shove it where the sun don't shine brother , count me out, I'd rather go to Canada , yeah I know, did I tell U I am not fussy.....................................:cheesy:

Edited by chainarong

The very fact that governments and I include western governments in this toy with ideas to track people as if everyone is a suspected criminal is a clear violation of human rights. George Orwell in 1984 sure knew what he was talking about. I never believed that it could happen. Of course, the powers that be, say trust us. the problem is that we have trusted a succession of governments in all the countries we re from and look where it has led us.  The majority of people have nothing to hide but as one poster said when we start infringing  on a person's right to privacy how far will it go.

The US has 25 intelligence agencies costing untold billions of dollars trying to track everyone in the World and they still want more ability. We already have CCTV cameras that track our movements; cell phones that are already tracked; cell phone cameras that capture images at will; drones overhead that can look down on us; satellites that can view into your home; programs that can turn on a cell phone  even when it is off so that person can be spied upon; extraordinary rendition; holding people forever without charges and it goes on and on.  Is this the way people should live?

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

If you wanted to avoid being tracked you could easily obtain a Thai card or get the one in the GF's name.

If they were to be serious about this and actually meaningfully implement it, then...

You could pretty well assume that carrying/using a SIM registered to someone else would be made illegal. Police stop you on the street and demand to check the number on the phone you're carrying.

Anyone caught carrying a SIM registered in someone else's name presumably could be arrested, and perhaps also the other person whose name the SIM is actually registered in.

If they're not prepared to take those kinds of steps, then the system they're contemplating isn't really going to go very far.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I think this new idea is meant for prepaid sim cards only. I have been a customer with DTAC on a postpaid subscription for 5 years already. So they can track every move I make If they want to. I am happy with the package , just don't change the rates I'm paying .

What part of ALL FOREIGNERS don't you understand? No need to think another when they say ALL.. 

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The very fact that governments and I include western governments in this toy with ideas to track people as if everyone is a suspected criminal is a clear violation of human rights. George Orwell in 1984 sure knew what he was talking about. I never believed that it could happen. Of course, the powers that be, say trust us. the problem is that we have trusted a succession of governments in all the countries we re from and look where it has led us.  The majority of people have nothing to hide but as one poster said when we start infringing  on a person's right to privacy how far will it go.

The US has 25 intelligence agencies costing untold billions of dollars trying to track everyone in the World and they still want more ability. We already have CCTV cameras that track our movements; cell phones that are already tracked; cell phone cameras that capture images at will; drones overhead that can look down on us; satellites that can view into your home; programs that can turn on a cell phone  even when it is off so that person can be spied upon; extraordinary rendition; holding people forever without charges and it goes on and on.  Is this the way people should live?

Indeed. Thailand has a huge number of CCTV cameras. Most of them are either empty boxes (like their bomb detectors) or not plugged in or are survellied by the Minister's M3 son. On his own. Between som tam on the hour, every hour, and and naps every 2 hours because it's really arduous work being away from his Pokemon Go..

This has been found to not reduce their usefulness in any way.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu