Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

You might not welcome fine chocolates, food, and shopping but others do...what's wrong with having it all? Isn't that why people visit and retire to Pattaya...to have it all  :thumbsup:

All? Do you mean water too unclean for swimming? Unbridled speculation simply for the purpose of making a profit, at the expense of the environment? Is that the all that people want?

What the point of having a seaside resort if they don't take care of it's greatest asset?

The hidden gems of Pattaya are all but disappearing.  

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

All? Do you mean water too unclean for swimming? Unbridled speculation simply for the purpose of making a profit, at the expense of the environment? Is that the all that people want?

What the point of having a seaside resort if they don't take care of it's greatest asset?

The hidden gems of Pattaya are all but disappearing.  

If you say so.

25 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

^^

This is the perfect example of back pedalling.

"The location and ambience at the seaside location of the Chocolate Factory would be preferred by many, except the dedicated 30 baht khow soy and Leo beer crowd."

"It may be hard for some to imagine but there is a world away from soi Bua Khow and a 10 minute "traipse" is hardly likely to do one in."

I could trawl through your posts and pick out similar barbs throughout, but I have better things to do with my time. Even your rather pathetic suggestion that I have an anti development agenda...when it's more to do with ridiculous individuals thinking that they have discovered something wonderful, when the "wonderful location and ambience" was there before someone decided to monetise it.

Just like Bali Hai was far more pleasant before they 'developed' it....and a lot of the development has simply made things worse. you know this as well as I.

So how about you at least try to cut down on the disingenuous nonsense? It's not convincing anyone other than a couple of hangers on, who have had their fingers burned in earlier discussions and have no credibility at all.

Some may like spending their time around Bua khao area and others, perhaps like yourself, prefer the side streets around Tukcom....not really that far from each other, eh? ;) 

But to suggest that people who like the Bua Khao area never go elsewhere,  is patently ridiculous.

It see

3 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

If you say so.

I'm not the only one saying so. The evidence is there for all to see. But as long as you can 'impress' your 'friends' by taking them to the Chocolate Factory, all is well in OMG world. 

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

38 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

I'm not the only one saying so. The evidence is there for all to see. But as long as you can 'impress' your 'friends' by taking them to the Chocolate Factory, all is well in OMG world. 

No...that was my trip report on flying Emirates round-trip in First Class to Germany. Thank goodness you didn't see that post  :D

8 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

No...that was my trip report on flying Emirates round-trip in First Class to Germany. Thank goodness you didn't see that post  :D

Nothing wrong with flying First and Business class. far more comfortable than Economy. Many utilise their frequent flyer points to gain an upgrade. Few pay full price.

I used my Brazilian FF miles for just that......but what has any of that to do with the topic of this thread??

You appear to be losing it.

4 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Nothing wrong with flying First and Business class. far more comfortable than Economy. Many utilise their frequent flyer points to gain an upgrade. Few pay full price.

I used my Brazilian FF miles for just that......but what has any of that to do with the topic of this thread??

You appear to be losing it.

I don't look at posting as a gladitorial battle...just a place where people can have a discussion and make the points they want to make. On this topic, I think I've made my points already and, if it makes you feel better, I'll say that you "won." Does that make you happy?

10 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I don't look at posting as a gladitorial battle...just a place where people can have a discussion and make the points they want to make. On this topic, I think I've made my points already and, if it makes you feel better, I'll say that you "won." Does that make you happy?

"Losing it"....meaning "losing your mind".

That still didn't answer my question as to what you flying Emirates First Class has to do with Pattaya.

I guess nothing at all. Sometimes you need to take responsibility for what you write. 

I don't disagree with you on all points. I just disagree with your denigration  of the type prefer who prefer a certain area. 

On the other hand, you are allowed to express your opinion and as such you cannot be surprised if others express their own in return. 

No hard feelings whatsoever.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What happened to that post?

To answer JSS, there is no next best place. Pattaya is unique in the world.

Some might say Angeles, but I believe it is more dangerous than Pattaya. Correct me if that is wrong.

If the 'next best' place to Pattaya is AC, then all you are talking about is the very limited appeal of the rapidly diminishing, global mongering market and pretty much bugger all else.  Keeping that in mind, I can see why you don't like Pattaya anymore.

If the 'next best' place to Pattaya is AC, then all you are talking about is the very limited appeal of the rapidly diminishing, global mongering market and pretty much bugger all else.  Keeping that in mind, I can see why you don't like Pattaya anymore.

You have stats for global numbering? Now that's impressive or you doing a daily headcount at soi 6..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

You might not welcome fine chocolates, food, and shopping but others do...what's wrong with having it all? Isn't that why people visit and retire to Pattaya...to have it all  :thumbsup:

Probably not. If they wanted fine chocolates, food, and shopping there are many, many places in LOS that cater to such. No need to go anywhere near Pattaya then moan because the scene is in their face.

To repeat what I said before, I don't get why anyone that doesn't like the scene would want to live in Pattaya and complain about it/ try to change it when there are places with better beaches, better infrastructure and not a barbeer in sight.

No matter how many fancy choc shops there are, it isn't going to give Pattaya a better beach or fix the infrastructure.

If I misunderstood your reply and you want P4P as well as choc shops, that's fine, but please don't tell us a new choc shop is a compelling reason to live in Pattaya, especially when there have been similar in Pattaya for donkey's years.

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

the very limited appeal of the rapidly diminishing, global mongering market and pretty much bugger all else. 

LOL. The sex industry is probably the largest non industrial business in the world. Everybody likes sex, don't they? Just because a lot of it is hidden, don't think it's diminishing.

Remember what happened to Makati. Same would happen to Pattaya if they tried to shut it down. It would probably become the crime capital of LOS with thousands of workers thrown onto the streets without a job.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

You have stats for global numbering? Now that's impressive or you doing a daily headcount at soi 6..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

No I don't, sorry.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the very limited appeal of the rapidly diminishing, global mongering market and pretty much bugger all else. 

LOL. The sex industry is probably the largest non industrial business in the world. Everybody likes sex, don't they? Just because a lot of it is hidden, don't think it's diminishing.

Remember what happened to Makati. Same would happen to Pattaya if they tried to shut it down. It would probably become the crime capital of LOS with thousands of workers thrown onto the streets without a job.

....but maybe this member can help you in that regard.

Something about being legend in one's own lunchtime with a good handle on the PI sexpat attractions. As I said, no wonder he's miffed at the inexorable changes to Pattaya.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What happened to Makati...it's of the 2 or 3 areas of Manila that isn't an out and out slum and a very pleasant place to stay in the Philippines. 

Thanks for all the interesting comments so far. I've learned that despite of the obvious reduction in Western tourist numbers here in Pattaya, other tourist sectors like Asian tourists increasingly seem to make up for it.

Not sure about occupancy rates in the 'condominium projects' though, most if not all if all of the units in those large buildings seem to be empty if you look at them at any time between 8 and 12pm. So the 'rent condo' market indeed seems to be low and I'm not sure whether the 'income model' for many can work out.

I fully agree with the concerns about the direction Pattaya took since a while. For me as a European, it feels horrible watching more and more of the few remaining trees in the city fall for even more concrete. To me, quality of living is strongly connected to at least feel in touch with nature ... living on Pratumnak and watching Buddha Hill getting slowly destroyed (to make space for more parking lots and tennis courts, and closely surrounded by high-rises) and trees being replaced by constructions of which some failed and may stay that way here forever is horrible. Even if they'd put a 'chocolate factory' there (for me as a chocolate lover) would not keep me from moving away from here if Pattaya turns into yet another faceless concrete Asian city congested by cars and stinking busses and heating up because there is no remaining vegetation anymore.

This is what I really despise in Thailand: that there seems to be no planning whatsoever.When there is money to be made, trees fall and make place for the 100th copy of some other mall, franchise food stall or 'condo project'. Parks or open spaces for recovery and relaxation don't seem to be part of City planning at all ... pretty much nowhere in Thailand. Without the king's properties (many of which are parks or untouched land), some cities would just be horrible. So if there would be a Green group in Pattaya demonstrating for public parks and to keep the remaining Pratumnak as it is (a place where joggers, although already under heavy breathing, still can do something good for their bodies), I would definitely join.

Regarding the red-light scene:  I admit this is one of Pattaya's major attractions to me. Basically I can deal with much of the b.s., the traffic congestion, the dangers of driving a bike here, the dust & dirt, the smell in Central Pattaya, the floodings, the various exploits etc. because the smiles of the girls and the fun in some bars make up for it. And this is where both sides of 'development' may eventually clash: I was disturbed to see a new shiny mall has popped up right next to Soi 6. Eventually, the 'shopping fun' side of Pattaya will eat up Central Pattaya's remaining night entertainment spots, and I doubt that Soi 6 as a whole will simply move somewhere else... My nightmare would be if 5 or 6 b.s. tourist gogo bars would remain on a shopping/McDonald'ized Walking Street and everywhere else just a Thai copy of 'wasteland'.

It would be great if the people in charge would at some point come up with a concept of how they want the city to look and feel like in, let's say, 20 years from now. If I had a say in it, I would be happy if there would be a few parks that are protected from the construction lobbies, a few corridors for viewpoints to the beach and Koh Larn that would be protected from being blocked by further high-rise construction, and a few true entertainment zones where the naughty side of Pattaya could proliferate (also without interferance by the construction lobbies). It would be a pity if Pattaya's famous (and till today, well-working) tourist slogan 'the city that never sleeps' would one day have to be replaced by 'the city with millions of condo beds to sleep in'.

2 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

Thanks for all the interesting comments so far. I've learned that despite of the obvious reduction in Western tourist numbers here in Pattaya, other tourist sectors like Asian tourists increasingly seem to make up for it.

Not sure about occupancy rates in the 'condominium projects' though, most if not all if all of the units in those large buildings seem to be empty if you look at them at any time between 8 and 12pm. So the 'rent condo' market indeed seems to be low and I'm not sure whether the 'income model' for many can work out.

I fully agree with the concerns about the direction Pattaya took since a while. For me as a European, it feels horrible watching more and more of the few remaining trees in the city fall for even more concrete. To me, quality of living is strongly connected to at least feel in touch with nature ... living on Pratumnak and watching Buddha Hill getting slowly destroyed (to make space for more parking lots and tennis courts, and closely surrounded by high-rises) and trees being replaced by constructions of which some failed and may stay that way here forever is horrible. Even if they'd put a 'chocolate factory' there (for me as a chocolate lover) would not keep me from moving away from here if Pattaya turns into yet another faceless concrete Asian city congested by cars and stinking busses and heating up because there is no remaining vegetation anymore.

This is what I really despise in Thailand: that there seems to be no planning whatsoever.When there is money to be made, trees fall and make place for the 100th copy of some other mall, franchise food stall or 'condo project'. Parks or open spaces for recovery and relaxation don't seem to be part of City planning at all ... pretty much nowhere in Thailand. Without the king's properties (many of which are parks or untouched land), some cities would just be horrible. So if there would be a Green group in Pattaya demonstrating for public parks and to keep the remaining Pratumnak as it is (a place where joggers, although already under heavy breathing, still can do something good for their bodies), I would definitely join.

Regarding the red-light scene:  I admit this is one of Pattaya's major attractions to me. Basically I can deal with much of the b.s., the traffic congestion, the dangers of driving a bike here, the dust & dirt, the smell in Central Pattaya, the floodings, the various exploits etc. because the smiles of the girls and the fun in some bars make up for it. And this is where both sides of 'development' may eventually clash: I was disturbed to see a new shiny mall has popped up right next to Soi 6. Eventually, the 'shopping fun' side of Pattaya will eat up Central Pattaya's remaining night entertainment spots, and I doubt that Soi 6 as a whole will simply move somewhere else... My nightmare would be if 5 or 6 b.s. tourist gogo bars would remain on a shopping/McDonald'ized Walking Street and everywhere else just a Thai copy of 'wasteland'.

It would be great if the people in charge would at some point come up with a concept of how they want the city to look and feel like in, let's say, 20 years from now. If I had a say in it, I would be happy if there would be a few parks that are protected from the construction lobbies, a few corridors for viewpoints to the beach and Koh Larn that would be protected from being blocked by further high-rise construction, and a few true entertainment zones where the naughty side of Pattaya could proliferate (also without interferance by the construction lobbies). It would be a pity if Pattaya's famous (and till today, well-working) tourist slogan 'the city that never sleeps' would one day have to be replaced by 'the city with millions of condo beds to sleep in'.

Careful, you'll have the real estate brigade on, making everyone aware, that just because there are no lights on, it doesn't mean condos are empty:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, yaagjon said:

Careful, you'll have the real estate brigade on, making everyone aware, that just because there are no lights on, it doesn't mean condos are empty:thumbsup:

You mean, you understand the silliness but are scared of being called a member of the real estate brigade? Well, you just ain't gonna be able to say anything good about Pattaya.

4 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

Points you've already made with added air. Your delicate aesthetic sensibilities and deep concern for building owners have touched our hearts several times already. How much mileage you gonna try to get out of them? Have you gotten over your discomfiture with the potholes yet?

amnesia.jpg

Edited by JSixpack

17 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Points you've already made with added air. Your delicate aesthetic sensibilities and deep concern for building owners have touched our hearts several times already. How much mileage you gonna try to get out of them? Have you gotten over your discomfiture with the potholes yet?

amnesia.jpg

Extreme insecurity is not something most people consider a positive human trait.  It does not surprise me that you refused to let the OP close out this thread with his valid opinion.

1 hour ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Extreme insecurity is not something most people consider a positive human trait.  It does not surprise me that you refused to let the OP close out this thread with his valid opinion.

Close out the thread? Huh? That repetition--how many times we gotta whinge about buses?--merely calls for a new round of clucks and nods and repetitions ad infinitum.

That said, there's nothing so satisfying here than knockin' back a few Changs, maybe puff some good weed, and then hittin' the ol' keyboard to pound out one's own grand Pattaya Redevelopment Plan. Yeah. What's a gift for Urban Planning if never employed where's it's needed most? And as you see The Authorities and The Developers have taken great note of these plans over the decades. ;) Me, I've tried suggesting our Planners add in chamber music at selected stations on the Promenade but have been ignored. I think it's a great idea, though. And the discomfiture wreaked on delicate bottoms could I think be solved by adding opera cushions to the baht bus seating. We gotta bring back all the used bookstores too. I'll keep lobbyin' for these to be included into the Plan. And finally I suggest we have a sticky at the top of the forum, The TVF Grand Plan For Pattaya Redevelopment, to collect all these brilliant and carefully considered plans (with Thai jobs in mind every step of the way, provided courtesy of our Golden Egg Layers, who've provided all those jobs in the malls).

Edited by JSixpack

I don't know how widely it's been reported but Pattaya will be getting it's own Asiatique Mall (like the riverfront one in Bangkok) when the Montien Hotel lease is up soon. I'd say this is another up-hill move; and I expect additional artisanal chocolate shops.

This, and the new Terminal 21 will really put the bee in some bonnets around here  :D:D

30 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I don't know how widely it's been reported but Pattaya will be getting it's own Asiatique Mall (like the riverfront one in Bangkok) when the Montien Hotel lease is up soon. I'd say this is another up-hill move; and I expect additional artisanal chocolate shops.

This, and the new Terminal 21 will really put the bee in some bonnets around here  :D:D

don't forget the new Opera house. can't wait till it's finished. imagine a couple of hours of Verdi's Nabucco or Puccini's Madame Buttafry, then sending the Mrs. home and enjoying some relaxing time in Soi hok. wonder in what condition my tailcoat is :whistling:

27 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Given that we have all been indoctrinated since childhood to embrace the "cancer cell concept" that "all growth is good" (the mainstream media constantly promotes this view) it is not surprising that so many posters are apparently unable to understand that growth does not always have a positive impact on quality of life.  If growth has a negative impact on quality of life, it is not "uphill."   Nobody is totally against growth, especially if it improves quality of life.  At present, we have too many condos, hotels, massage parlours, restaurants and bars.   I doubt that we need another mall.  Central Festival Mall is great. 

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If one is looking for incontrovertible evidence that Pattaya really has gone downhill it has to be the closure of Super Baby.

That is certainly a shock. It definitely had the best totty in town. Going downhill indeed!

However, the last time I visited, there were some "plump" ones and I wondered if that was a good idea. Obviously not.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I still have to wonder just why people that like such just don't go to where they are, in Bkk, and leave Pattaya for the mongers. Not all change is progress, or indeed "good".