"what Thaksin Had Done Wrong"

george

Prapan said that on the day the contract with Italian-Thai Development was signed, a court ordered the company to undergo rehabilitation. The law bans the government from signing contracts with companies that are in that position.

What does rehabilitation mean in this context?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Strong evidence of Thaksin's abuse of power'

Compelling evidence had been found to implicate former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in allegations of abuse of power over Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Admiral Bannawit Kengrien, chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's special committee tackling the airport's problems, said the evidence showed Thaksin illegally endorsed a contract to allow Italian-Thai Development Plc to construct the airport even though it had been ordered by a court to undergo rehabilitation.

Bannawit and Prapan Koonmee, chairman of a subcommittee probing the contract to build Suvarnabhumi's passenger terminals, yesterday lodged a complaint with the Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

Prapan said the subcommittee found the Thaksin government had begun to do wrong things right from the start of the bidding process by appointing a committee to alter the construction design, bypassing the airport's board.

Thaksin also instructed the board to sign a contract without having the power to do so in order to favour the company that won the bidding.

They accused Thaksin and others of abusing their power and of collusion by violating the Bidding for State Projects Act 1999, causing Bt10 billion in damage to the state.

Prapan said that on the day the contract with Italian-Thai Development was signed, a court ordered the company to undergo rehabilitation. The law bans the government from signing contracts with companies that are in that position.

"I have documents which show that Thaksin signed his name ordering the board to hire this company," he said.

Prapan accused former transport permanent secretary Srisook Chandrangsu of illegally altering the contract that was checked by public prosecutors to favour contractors such as insurance firms, thus preventing the state from being able to claim compensation from the firms.

Apart from Thaksin and Srisook, former transport minister Wan Muhammad Noor Matha was also accused of being involved in the alleged illegal activities at the airport.

Bannawit said the AEC would investigate accusations involving the government's contract with King Power for the right to operate duty-free shops in the airport.

He said AEC secretary Kaewsan Atibodhi had suggested Airports of Thailand should recommend to the Transport Ministry that it cancel the contract with King Power and demand compensation.

In related news, Theerapat Srichaiya, one of Thaksin's legal representatives, turned up at the AEC yesterday to submit a letter to object to the appointment of members for an investigative committee to probe Krung Thai Bank's loan extension to the Krisada Mahanakorn group.

- The Nation

Lets see I predict:

"No No No I signed that document 5 minutes before the court made its decision and I didnt know there was a court case going on. I didnt do anything wrong"

What does rehabilitation mean in this context?

It's used in the business sense and I believe it means that a business that has gone bankrupt, but is allowed to continue doing business to some degree while all their debts/assets/staff are reorganized in a manner that is acceptable to the bankruptcy court. During that time they are undergoing "rehabilitation."

I don't believe it's used in the medical sense in some sort of reference to Thaksin's son's drug problems.

Edited by sriracha john

Don't blame me for your failings: Thaksin

Thaksin Shinawatra has countered a remark by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, saying the premier should not blame him for his own failure in the country's administration.

Referring to Surayud's remark that he could only work slowly because of the "old power-holders", Thaksin said through his lawyer Noppadon Pattama that the task was difficult and Thaksin had never got in Surayud's way.

According to Noppadon, Thaksin said he was not afraid of being charged and would be happy to come back to Thailand to testify to the court immediately. However, before the court convicts him he should be "treated as an innocent".

Surayud said on Thursday the chances of the ousted premier returning to Thailand after the general election were "very slim" because he would soon be facing criminal charges.

Thaksin does not want to come back to the country at the moment for the "sake of the country's unity," Noppadon said.

However, Noppadon believed Surayud could have been more fair, saying that while cases against Thaksin had been progressing, cases against Surayud for allegedly encroaching on a forest reserve and against Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin for alleged bigamy had moved slowly.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on a radio programme he wanted to see Thaksin return to Thailand "to face the charges".

People will learn the truth as the legal process goes on, he said, though he doubted whether Thaksin would retire from politics.

Source: The Nation - 28 April 2007

If all the energy now beeing used to try to drumm up charges against Takshin, was equally applyed to look at the present top brass of Thailand, I wonder how many would be able to walk away without serius dents in the facade. :o

Nice T-shirt you got:

20070428-094033-_96_1.jpg

Why is it when someone makes a completely reasonable statement, he is automatically accused of being a Thaksin supporter, especially only with a photo lacking any reasonable argument and only leading to aggravation of the discussion?

Anyhow, the point larvidchr made is more than valid, many of the members of the present powers seem to be teflon coated against any corruption accusation, and those are just the ones who were brought up by amateurs without the resources of the state which are now used to blame Thaksin for everything that is wrong in this country.

What about the issue of Surayud's house, his involvement in the '92 May massacre?

What about the accusations of nepotism against Saprang, the coming man in the Army?

Not to speak about the basic illegal action of a military coup.

A elected PM with many flaws has been replaced by an unelected military junta with many flaws. I am sure that the country will benefit from such massive amounts of virtue...

If all the energy now beeing used to try to drumm up charges against Takshin, was equally applyed to look at the present top brass of Thailand, I wonder how many would be able to walk away without serius dents in the facade. :D

Nice T-shirt you got:

20070428-094033-_96_1.jpg

You are jumping,

To conclusions. :D

But having the historic most corrupt institution in Thailand take power to stop corruption is a bit of a joke :D

It is a bit like having a wolfpack taking over from the fox guarding the chicken. :o

Kind regards :D

Kind regards :o

Always nice to see that some people can maintain a sense of humor in response to a light-hearted joke instead of launching into a diatribe. It's especially encouraging to see that in our members who's native language is not English.

Take care... :D

Edited by sriracha john

One of the most often critisisms of the government is that it is too slow in going after Thaksin.

If I understand larvdchr correctly it should go slower or even drop the subject.

But then what about those other guys who want Thaksin's blood NOW?

You just can't please everyone.

I guess the govt would choose to ignore Larvdhcr's request.

One of the most often critisisms of the government is that it is too slow in going after Thaksin.

If I understand larvdchr correctly it should go slower or even drop the subject.

But then what about those other guys who want Thaksin's blood NOW?

You just can't please everyone.

I guess the govt would choose to ignore Larvdhcr's request.

No I think I wrote they should use the same energy "Equally applied" looking at the present top brass, that hardly means a slowdown or a total stop.

But I wrote that to the TV forum.

I would not presume to request anything from the Generals, and no doubt it would be choosen to be ignored(with a bit of luck :o ) if I did, and quite rigthly so, I am after all just a visiting guest. :D

Edited by larvidchr

Just a quick aside - I've been doing research into the New World Order, illuminati for a long time and today stumbled on this pic! That weird hand signal is a dead giveaway.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/janua...05devilhand.htm http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Rel...ns_of_satan.htm

imageBK10302240606.jpg

It tends to add a little substance to the phrase “dance with the devil” I commonly use about people who have been involved with Thaksin and got burned.

Look around, there`s a sticker you`ll see on many cars, a green hand with also the Thai flag`s colours around it. Carabao used to do that gesture also, I believe there was a publicity campaign about love.

Carabao and Thaksin have probably never even heard or read the word Illuminati. :o

yo, yo, yo.... it's straight out of Compton.... South Central L.A. ..... It's a gang-banger's hand gesture from the Crips gang.... and Thakky's a life-time member cuz he be baaad... now hush up, 'fore he bust a cap in your assz...

Edited by sriracha john

There are certain signs and symbolisms that transcend cultures such as the sign of the cross. I as a child was clearly instructed by a catholic nun not to make the sign that Thaksin is showing off in the photos above. I had forgotten about that until just a few minutes ago.

WIN MARK PROBE

Thaksin accused over 'hot money'

DSI uncovers links to laundering and other irregularities, Surayud charges

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has found evidence linking former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to money laundering, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said yesterday.

The alleged money laundering involved SC Asset, a property company owned by the Shinawatra family, Surayud said, citing a DSI report presented to him.

The premier refused to discuss further details, saying the DSI had not given him a full report on its investigation because it remained confidential.

"I am not allowed to access the full report," Surayud told reporters at Government House.

Earlier this year, the Democrat Party accused Thaksin of having set up a personal trust fund to hide profits from the baht's devaluation in 1997 and facilitate his family's share transactions.

The trust fund, Win Mark Co Ltd, bought shares in five property companies owned by the Shinawatras, including SC Asset, which was formerly known as OAI Property, Democrat Party deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij said.

Korn noted that while Thaksin admitted ownership of Ample Rich Co Ltd, he denied any connection to Win Mark. Ample Rich and Win Mark share the same address in the British Virgin Islands and have conducted similar transactions.

In January last year, Ample Rich sold Shin Corp shares to Thaksin's children Panthongtae and Pinthongta. In October 2004, Win Mark sold shares in four Thai property companies to Pinthongta.

Korn based his allegations on a speech by Snoh Thienthong, formerly a senior member of Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai Party, in which Snoh said that during the 1997 financial crisis Thaksin had nominated one of his men to oversee the currency's devaluation.

The Democrat said Win Mark could have been hiding profits from speculation on the baht. "In 2000, Thaksin said he did not know of the company, but the company shared the same address as Thaksin's Ample Rich," Korn said.

"Moreover, Win Mark invested in such a way that the potential gains went to the Shinawatra family. Nobody in investment circles could in any way believe that any fund would be glad to do such a thing."

In 2000, Thaksin said he had sold shares in three property companies - OAI Property, PT Corp and SCK Asset - to Win Mark for Bt906 million in total. However, the Democrats found that Win Mark also held shares in two other companies - SC Office Park and Worth Supplies. Total investment in the five firms was Bt1.5 billion.

Korn also remarked that the transaction had coincidentally occurred after the baht's flotation.

In his 2000 statement, Thaksin said Win Mark had bought the shares on expectation of reaping profits when the firms were listed.

However, the Democrats said Win Mark had sold shares in OAI Property to Value Asset Fund Ltd of Malaysia (VAF) in 2003, and three weeks later VAF had sold the shares to Overseas Globe Fund (OGF) and Offshore Dynamic Fund Inc (ODF).

"What's weird is that the three funds share the same address [in Malaysia]. Moreover, why did Win Mark, which owned the shares for three years, sell the shares of OAI Property when the latter was about to seek a listing?" Korn added.

Additionally, in 2003, VAF transferred the right to buy 70 million new shares of OAI at their Bt10 par value to Thaksin's daughters, Pinthongta and Paethongtarn. Based on the initial public offering price of Bt15 per share, the two children automatically netted Bt355 million in profits.

The Democrats also pointed out that despite the transaction with VAF, Win Mark maintained ownership in the other four companies for another year, although none of them could seek a market listing.

"Thaksin said in 2000 that the share sale was not meant for money laundering because his money is clean," Korn said.

The allegations of gross misdeeds by Thaksin just continue to grow and grow and grow and grow. This time from a Thaksin and TRT Party insider:

'Thaksin insisted on loan for Burma'

Former minister tells AEC he tried to stop deal to lease satellite feed

Former foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai, a key member of Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai Party, told the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) yesterday the former premier gave an order to lend Bt4 billion to the Burmese junta in spite of his objections, according to a source.

Surakiart told the AEC he voiced objection to the plan because the money was going to the Burmese for the lease of satellite transmission signals from the iPSTAR satellite, which was owned by the Shinawatra family, the source said.

Moreover, Surakiart said the now ousted PM further instructed the Export-Import Bank of Thailand not only to approve the loan, but to raise the amount by Bt1 billion, so the Burmese could purchase extra telecommunications equipment and services from Thailand, the source said.

The decision for the approval came after a Bangladesh-India-Myanmar-Sri Lanka-Thailand Economic Cooperation meeting in Phuket in February 2004.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

The allegations of gross misdeeds by Thaksin just continue to grow and grow and grow and grow. This time from a Thaksin and TRT Party insider:

Former foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai, a key member of Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai Party, told the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) yesterday the former premier gave an order to lend Bt4 billion to the Burmese junta in spite of his objections, according to a source.

Surakiart told the AEC he voiced objection to the plan because the money was going to the Burmese for the lease of satellite transmission signals from the iPSTAR satellite, which was owned by the Shinawatra family, the source said.

Moreover, Surakiart said the now ousted PM further instructed the Export-Import Bank of Thailand not only to approve the loan, but to raise the amount by Bt1 billion, so the Burmese could purchase extra telecommunications equipment and services from Thailand, the source said.

The decision for the approval came after a Bangladesh-India-Myanmar-Sri Lanka-Thailand Economic Cooperation meeting in Phuket in February 2004.

- The Nation

If Surakiart's report to the AEC is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, why on earth didn't he resign and go public on Thaksin's blatant abuse of office.I don't suppose it had anything to do with his inept and ludicrous bid for the UN Secretary-General job.He was of course a Thaksin lickspittle and didn't want to ruffle his sponsor's feathers.I wonder if this fat faced fool realises how ridiculous and hypocritical he is, trying to create a good impression at this late stage.

- The Nation

If Surakiart's report to the AEC is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, why on earth didn't he resign and go public on Thaksin's blatant abuse of office.I don't suppose it had anything to do with his inept and ludicrous bid for the UN Secretary-General job.He was of course a Thaksin lickspittle and didn't want to ruffle his sponsor's feathers.I wonder if this fat faced fool realises how ridiculous and hypocritical he is, trying to create a good impression at this late stage.

I still remember that it was Surakiat at the side of Thaksin in New York when the coup took place. He was looking and sounding ever so loyal then.

Surakiart testifies he opposed Burma loan

Surakiart Sathirathai, who was foreign minister in the Thaksin Shinawatra government, had opposed the multi-billion-baht loans granted to Burma for its telecommunication infrastructure, according to a highly-placed source in the Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC). In his testimony given to the ASC, Mr Surakiart said he was against the plan after learning that the four-billion-baht Exim Bank loan would be given to Burma to buy the iPSTAR satellites from Shin Satellite, a firm then operated by the Shinawatra family.

According to the source, Mr Surakiart suggested that Burma's military junta should take out a loan from China instead. However, Mr Thaksin instructed Mr Surakiart to approve an increase in the amount of the loan, the source said. Earlier, other witnesses appearing before the committee said the loan was originally set at three billion baht. However, it was later increased to four billion baht.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01May2007_news16.php