Water Filter low flow

jack2964

Got myself a brand new no frills (under 2k baht) water filter yesterday.

I am rather disappointed by the flow rate through the filter.

This came with 2 filter cartridge elements one of which claims to be 2 in 1 thus making a total of 3 filters in 2 housings.

I have decent pressure straight off the tap.

I timed it took 2 min 20 sec to fill a 1.5 liter bottle. At this rate it is obvious this isn't a filter one can call on demand; I'll need to turn the 

thing on and then attend to other chores while it slowly fills a large container and I'll decant from said vessel as required.

Is this how this no frills filter is meant to be used or did I get a dud one?

pic1=flow from filter pic2=flow straight off the tap

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

Was it sold as RO? I ask because the word "membrane" is on the housing. If so then without a high-pressure pump and storage tank you are always going to get low flow, but nice clean water.

What are you trying to clean from your water?

Of late they've been working on the village water supply and every time they restore supply the water is a dirty brown and I was at the mall yesterday and bought this without doing any research. I don't think it is an RO filter but it sure took out all the brown sediment and other suspended filth in it. I'd say it is filtering well just the poor flow makes it impractical. To fill a 1.5l kettle takes over 2 minutes!   Owner's manual is all in Thai unfortunately.  Guess I'll just have to pre-fill my required daily needs.

that was of course the flippant reply.

We have a similar one, with 3 filters and I agree the way to go is to fill jugs every day and put them in the fridge.

That tap connector is the weak part of the whole filter. you start turning that knob 50 times and it puts strain on the small thread and sometimes rubber connector that is attached to the tap.

I have repaired ours a few times, as you cannot get a replacement. so the less frequently you turn it the better.

On the flow rate; I just wondered if you had done your timing test on your first or 2nd draw.

logic tells me that when the 3 filters are saturated, only then will the water flow out of the other end at the same rate as it goes into the filter.

If the filter chambers are designed to fill up one at a time then despite a few litres per minute going in, a trickle may only come out.

Incidently the one we have, and several others i have seen the tap outlet on the filter is a smaller diameter, maybe a 10mm not 15mm like the tap. that may hint at the fact they should be slow? 

I forgot to mention and wonder if others find the same,  When the filter hasn't been used for say a week or so l let mine run for about 5 mins before storing because it has a bit of a twang taste at first.

Today being 2nd day of operation and flow remains weak and I have collected and stored about 20 liters worth. I foresee flow to weaken even more as filters start to clog.

I'd probably toss this when filter change is due and get one that has good flow rate. 

Anyone has any reocmmendations? Budget up to 10k baht?

You are absolutely right that flow rate out must equal flow in and the low flow is simply because the filters can only allow that volume of water to pass for the given pressure.  The output tube diameter should affect flow rate but in this scenario I doubt a fatter tube would make any significant difference. I'd say the various filter elements are restricting flow doing their jobs.

Kwasaki....I have no idea if leaving it unused  for many days would result in foul tasting water. I'll leave that to others.

Archived