JJ's game changer solution for GRUMPY EXPATS! Adopt a soi dog

JJGreen

JJ has come up with a solution to the problem of Grumpy Thai Expatitis. 

For all the cranky, curmudgeonly and ill tempered expats here this is a gamechanger

International Studies have shown that pet ownership greatly increases well being and happiness for the pet owner.

Across ten of thousands of Thailand's streets temples and vacant Lots there is an assortment of cats and dogs just waiting to be adopted. 

My scheme would see a network of pop-up soi dog and cat offices across the country. Each expat gets a lovable during ball and a signed certificate of authentication from JJ himself.

Thoughts on how the scheme would work? 

52 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

I hardly think a flea bitten, disease ridden soi dog is going to help much. Whatever the OP is smoking, I want some.

He's smoking good intentions...it wouldn't agree with you

57 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

I hardly think a flea bitten, disease ridden soi dog is going to help much. Whatever the OP is smoking, I want some.

Two possible participants right here!

Dogs and cats are superb companions.  Loyal, unjudging, always happy to see you.

Vent all your problems to your new furry friend,they are always happy to listen and help you de stress.

You can have your dog vaccinated and treated for fleas or worms very cheaply 

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Are the dogs ok with this?

Many of these bingo players cant look after themselves….why condemn a poor dog to a life of cynicism and negativity as well?

There can be Train the Trainer sessions

I have a dog that I brought with me from the US about 18 months ago...he makes every day more enjoyable...I also take care of a couple of soi dogs who hang out at the local 7-11, and it really does brighten my day when I see them...dogs are unabashed in their happiness when they meet a friend...and I like to think I make their life a bit more pleasant and tolerable...the times I've tried to help a Thai has alway turned ugly, with feelings of resentment from them as to why I only helped them to the extent I did...but soi dogs always seem to appreciate the effort, once you get to know them...

also, some of them can be quite beautiful...I've always wondered why more people here don't breed the Thai dogs...they are highly desired in the USA, fetching more than 45000 for a good specimen... 

I love dogs and we usually have 2-3 around... but they are definitely not for everyone. They do require care and not everyone is capable of offering that... good idea, but surely not something for everyone.... a dog is a great companion but also requires a commitment of taking care. It is a dependent relationship. 

32 minutes ago, hdkane said:

I have a dog that I brought with me from the US about 18 months ago...he makes every day more enjoyable...I also take care of a couple of soi dogs who hang out at the local 7-11, and it really does brighten my day when I see them...dogs are unabashed in their happiness when they meet a friend...and I like to think I make their life a bit more pleasant and tolerable...the times I've tried to help a Thai has alway turned ugly, with feelings of resentment from them as to why I only helped them to the extent I did...but soi dogs always seem to appreciate the effort, once you get to know them...

also, some of them can be quite beautiful...I've always wondered why more people here don't breed the Thai dogs...they are highly desired in the USA, fetching more than 45000 for a good specimen... 

a cheap sausage or piece of chicken is all you need to make friends 

12 minutes ago, fatyank said:

I would've thought a soi dog and then handing them a baseball bat would be more theraputic

Come on old dude...No need for those comments

I'd have my doubts soi dogs could wield the bat

Edited by JJGreen

What a great idea!

This " cranky, curmudgeonly and ill tempered expat" would certainly feel a lot better if I adopted a soi dog and promptly throttled the bloody thing! Nothing but dangerous vermin!

12 REASON'S WHY SOME MEN HAVE A DOG BUT NO WIFE --------------

1/  The later you come home the DOG is more excited to see you

2/  Dogs don’t notice if you call them by another name

3/  Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor

4/  A Dogs parents never visit

5/  Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across

6/  Dogs find you amusing when your drunk

7/  Dogs like hunting and fishing

8/  A Dog will not wake you up and ask, "If I died --- would you get another Dog

9/  If a Dog has babies you can put an add in the paper and give them away

10/  A Dog will let you put a studded collar on it --- without calling you a pervert

11/  If a Dog smells another dog on you -- they don’t get mad -- they just think it’s interesting

12/  If a Dog leaves they don’t take half your stuff

TO TEST THIS THEORY ---- JUST LOCK YOUR DOG AND YOUR WIFE IN THE GARAGE FOR AN HOUR --- THEN OPEN IT AND SEE WHO'S HAPPY TO SEE YOU

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

12 REASON'S WHY SOME MEN HAVE A DOG BUT NO WIFE --------------

1/  The later you come home the DOG is more excited to see you

2/  Dogs don’t notice if you call them by another name

3/  Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor

4/  A Dogs parents never visit

5/  Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across

6/  Dogs find you amusing when your drunk

7/  Dogs like hunting and fishing

8/  A Dog will not wake you up and ask, "If I died --- would you get another Dog

9/  If a Dog has babies you can put an add in the paper and give them away

10/  A Dog will let you put a studded collar on it --- without calling you a pervert

11/  If a Dog smells another dog on you -- they don’t get mad -- they just think it’s interesting

12/  If a Dog leaves they don’t take half your stuff

TO TEST THIS THEORY ---- JUST LOCK YOUR DOG AND YOUR WIFE IN THE GARAGE FOR AN HOUR --- THEN OPEN IT AND SEE WHO'S HAPPY TO SEE YOU

13.  I've never had a Dog who complains about needing a more functional vehicle than a pick-up truck.
14.  Not one of my Dogs has ever complained about the Football season.

4 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Two possible participants right here!

Dogs and cats are superb companions.  Loyal, unjudging, always happy to see you.

Vent all your problems to your new furry friend,they are always happy to listen and help you de stress.

You can have your dog vaccinated and treated for fleas or worms very cheaply 

I agree. I used to let every dog or cat that came into my shop stay if they wanted to. They are full of love and gratitude.  The customers loved them too. 

the only people i can communicate with on a regular basis in the village in northern Myanmar are the old Boss dog...one son dog and the the cleaning ladies..and then its only mingalabar.

Dogs are easier

When I was a young whipper snapper at work I thought the 30 year olds were old grumpy people. No pet will make me happier. I have to put up with everyone else's animals buggering the garden up. Then again, perhaps I am just old and grumpy.

One of the few joys about getting old is not caring much about 'what other people think' - and so feeling secure enough to become a bit grumpy :).

I 'sort of' agree with the OP insofar as those who love animals will be less grumpy if they have a pet - but some people are unable to put others (especially animals) before themselves, and so should NEVER be encouraged to take on a pet.

18 hours ago, hdkane said:

I so agree. I have 4 beautiful black Thai dogs. I would not part with any of them for any amount.

Either you like dogs or you do not.

I have a cat, it doesn't bark or shit all over the place. My neighbours have dogs and seem not to care if they bark any time day or night. I find this disturbing and would not want this in my own yard.

Pets can restrict your lifestyle as well as adding to it.

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have a cat, it doesn't bark or shit all over the place. My neighbours have dogs and seem not to care if they bark any time day or night. I find this disturbing and would not want this in my own yard.

My neighbours cat sure shits all over my garden, rips open my bin bags, kills and eats my chicken chicks, and kills my parakeets through the aviary mesh.  They also scream and fight late and night.

My 2 dogs are quiet, don't kill anything, and stay in their own garden.

My point is, Its not about what animal it is, but it's about how the owners take care of them.

For the Soi dogs, our village is very rural and we have problems with large packs of them killing livestock, noise, and also biting people, causing people to crash their motorbikes, etc.

I like dogs, but I don't have any time for half wild street dogs.  I would gladly throw a few in the back of a truck and give them free to any grumpy expat who wants one. 

And, I don't advise giving the dogs around here a sausage to make friends with them... they would surround you and take you arm off with the sausage.

Edited by jak2002003
add

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And, I don't advise giving the dogs around here a sausage to make friends with them... they would surround you and take you arm off with the sausage.

They would probably just ignore you. Thai dogs want meat ground up and mixed with rice. That is what they are used to.

Dogs?????

Who the hell needs dogs - they slobber - they're messy - dumb & generally uncouth.....

And »»»----------> We have NO IDEA who knocked the laudry basket off the shelf......

This is the anti dog post.....

We had a litter of 5 kittens born in our yard.....Eventually we ended up with these 2 clowns & their sister......

They now have a 3 tier high kitty condo that they sleep in at night - - - they usually tuck themselves in after dark & we shut the door.....

When it's hot the wife turns on a fan for them....When the biters are out she uses mosquito coils for them......If raining we roll it into the carport .....They're a pretty happy & 100% spoiled lot.....

They voted against adding a dog - they've got standards......

IMG20160523163007.jpg

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

100% right on emboldened part - and something that needs to be taken into consideration before taking on any pet.