Police commander denies Bangkok "targets" identified in wake of bombs

webfact

Police commander denies Bangkok "targets" identified in wake of bombs

p2.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Region 1 police commander has moved to deny claims that Bangkok targets were identified by police in the wake of the bombs that hit Hua Hin and further south last week,

Suggestions has appeared online that top brass had had urgent meetings and named ten places in Bangkok that should be particularly protected, reported Daily News.

Noppasit Sittipongsophon said that the ten sites mentioned were in fact those that were considered worth of high level of security after the Erawan Shrine bombings of August last year.

The ten places are:

1 Ratchprasong area

2 Pathumwan intersection

3 Silom Road

4 Khao San Road

5 Narathiwat intersection

6 The Victory Monument

7 Tuk Chai intersection

8 Benjasiri Park

9 Soi Thong Lor (Sukhumvit 55)

10 Sukhumvit Road

Noppasit said that no special measures were in place and that all the mentioned areas were under the usual care and protection of the security services. He did not know who had instigated the online rumors.

Many of the areas mentioned are places where large numbers of people congregate and where tourists would be seen in huge numbers.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-15

" no special measures were in place and that all the mentioned areas were under the usual care and protection of the security services"

Well, that's not entirely correct. Anyone that has been moving around central BKK last days can spot the difference.

-Shopping malls: tightened security, they are actually checking bags and have scouts with radios all over the place

-BTS/MRT: bag checking and increased staffing

-Benjasiri: additional security staff seemingly checking for abandoned objects

and Suvarnambhumi last night. Military patrolling with heavy hand guns + presumably bomb dogs operating all over the place

1 hour ago, bark said:

Don't be afraid, go out and live your lives as before. Fear is their weapon.

For sure, and if that were their only weapons, there would be nothing to fear but fear itself (and hysteria of the educated masses here).

32 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well you guys complain about the nanny states  and so on I have lived in Australia 

for 42 years I have never ever had a security alert were I live, yes not mentioned in the post 

but some body will come along shortly to prove me wrong 

53 for me and the same. The Aus intelligence services are excellent and on the ball. They certainly dont sit on their <deleted> until somthing happens and then fabricate evidence and theories.

15 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

saw 2 K9 units today at BTS Asok around 3pm, also security checker asked to look in my backpack for the first time ever, my Thai wife was waved through without having to open her big handbag...

The same happens to me frequently on the BTS and Airport Link and I don't mind them having a look in my bag.

I regularly open my empty bag to have them peer inside while at the same time they are allowing the Thai people to pass though without inspection and with a smile and a wave.

The message they are giving to observers by this racist selection is that it is farang they don't trust. Why would Thai's harm their own country and people? Fair enough I suppose to those who don't know any better.

18 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

"all the mentioned areas were under the usual care and protection of the security services."

Feel so much safer knowing that, NOT!

Yes, I was in BKK yesterday, and got the usual thorough screening at the BTS and MRT stations...

I'm  not sure...do you think the Thai govt conducts these checks as an effort to inspire confidence that "something" is being done regarding security? The security checks do not seem thorough, but I'm not trained as a security screener, so perhaps they know what to look for exactly...