Monthly rental availability during high season

SenorOveja

Howdy,

I'm planning on visiting CM for the first time from Oct-Dec.  My original plan was to book a hostel for 5 nights and use that time to go around and look for a reasonably priced (5,000-10,000 baht) monthly rental.  Doing research though it turns out I'll be in CM approaching the peak season.  Does anyone know if it becomes very difficult to find accommodation during this period?  Would it make more sense to try and book something ahead of time?  If so, any recommendations?  Thanks for any advice.

you are in luck cobber

caught E/S before beddy byes:D

abundance of accomodation in your price range,  just lob , sure their will be enuff hangers on  to meet you on arriving,and take it from there

perhaps Gods Waiting  Room  Famous  Brekky at the  lovely River Market  Restaruant,on the Ping  River banks,would be a great place to snuff out  further  deals

best of luck cobber, and sweet dreams to all my readers:)

17 hours ago, evenstevens said:

you are in luck cobber

caught E/S before beddy byes:D

abundance of accomodation in your price range,  just lob , sure their will be enuff hangers on  to meet you on arriving,and take it from there

perhaps Gods Waiting  Room  Famous  Brekky at the  lovely River Market  Restaruant,on the Ping  River banks,would be a great place to snuff out  further  deals

best of luck cobber, and sweet dreams to all my readers:)

Could you let me know what you are on?

I think I need a supply.

Have you thought of using the internet?   

There's plenty of small guest houses, and a new hotel  has opened next to me called the "HOP INN"   The sign out the front says it less than 700baht a night.

Lookup "Elegant Lanna" for a pleasant guest house near Thae Pae gate.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

There's plenty of small guest houses, and a new hotel  has opened next to me called the "HOP INN"   The sign out the front says it less than 700baht a night.

The poster requires accommodation  between 5 and 10000 baht per month not 21000 baht a month

Look at the Wiangbua Mansion by the Market Tanin and close to the Rajabath University...... Last year the monthly rental was THB 8000 for a very nice room. Great location.

Edited by umbanda

There is a tremendous glut on the market right now... which does not mean that people will be willing to compromise as they always have expectations for high season... 

I think it is a good idea to come and take an inexpensive guesthouse for a week and look around, get familiar with the city... I think as a first time visitor w/o a car, you might enjoy staying near all of the restaurants and other travellers at least near the old city.

Many like Smith Residence. Yes, there will be plenty on the internet but I bet your best deals might be found in some of the condominiums, on the bulletin boards or asking at the front desk... 

good luck - enjoy CM. 

Buawarong Residence on ChangKhlan Road is 6000 baht a month, rooms are clean. Coffee shop on the other side. You may be able to get something at Riverside,which has a pool, on Lamphun Road for 10,000 baht a month, if you get in early.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!  Very much appreciated.  I have done a good bit of research and have identified a number of potential guesthouses/hotels, but of course many don't have websites.  Also I would prefer to see a room in person before committing to a long-term rental.  My main concern was that things get too booked up during this time, but it seems that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again to everyone.  This forum has been a super helpful resource for me.

17 hours ago, masuk said:

I used to stay at Elegant Lanna. It was a good place. Then they got in w Trip Advisor and starting raising their rates. And kept raising them until it was cheaper to stay at a real hotel. A bit greedy.

They've had new management for a couple of years, and nowhere near as friendly.  I hadn't realised they'd jacked the prices up.   The "Hop Inn" outside my kitchen window seems popular and the car park is full most nights.  Rates are 650  baht or thereabouts  per night.

Far from peaceful in this area, with tuk-tuks, motorbikes, sirens thru the night.  Chiang Mai is losing its charm.

Ad

I lived at The Bow Chiang Mai House for over a year. Monthly rate is 6000 plus 100 for water and 6baht per unit of electric. Low (cool) season electric not expensive. They have big rooms with good AC, small fridge(make sure to ask for one), TV with 2 english movie channels and 3 other english channels, big bathrooms with recessed floor in shower(hot water of course), small balcony, closet, free coffee/tea/bread-butter-jam for toasting by hot water pot. It's located near the N/E corner of old town (soi 9, moonmuang road). Fun area and easy walking distance to Night Bazaar area as well as 2 malls to the west. I doubt if they post monthly rate on bookings but email direct for reservation or just show up. Nice place. Taxi 150 from airport.