Why Do People Drive So Bad In Thailand

Vespa

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how you prefer to change the topic while totally ignoring the question.

Now if you would like to know if I am a troll, or would like to post information backing up that statement, then start a new thread.

The statement remains. Farangs and Thais drive horribly in Pattaya. Let me make this clearer for you as you seem to beg to be spoon fed information.

Pattaya - Bad Drivers

Bangkok - Crazy drivers, but not bad drivers.

Rest of Thailand - quite relaxed.

Now what don't you understand?

From what I have seen the driving is dangerously poor around the whole of the country, I don't think anyone is better or worse in different areas, the road conditions of the area just dictate different kinds of dangerous driving.

There are some Thai's I know who are good drivers, certainly better than some farang I know here although I must say I know more decent farang drivers here than Thai and I know many more Thai's than farang.

One observation I have made is the longer farang stay here the worst their driving seems to become.

From what I have seen the driving is dangerously poor around the whole of the country, I don't think anyone is better or worse in different areas, the road conditions of the area just dictate different kinds of dangerous driving.

There are some Thai's I know who are good drivers, certainly better than some farang I know here although I must say I know more decent farang drivers here than Thai and I know many more Thai's than farang.

One observation I have made is the longer farang stay here the worst their driving seems to become.

I fully agree.

Also, forgetting road rules & regulations, Thais (generally) seem to have rather poor driving technique. For example, they don't seem to have the concept of "assisted braking" (using the gears to help with speed reduction). I've also noticed that many Thais who are driving manual vehicles up steep inclines, will not willingly change back through the gears (to maintain adequate horsepower output) until the engine is well & truly labouring.

Strangely, a Philipino mate of my'n who lives in Thailand, drives in exactly the same way. Every time he lifts his foot off the throttle, he depresses the clutch pedal. I have no idea why he does this...it makes no sense. He will do this about 10 times per kilometre. He also "rides" the clutch at traffic lights etc & then complains about the vibration (clutch shudder) upon taking off.

I think that getting a driving license should be as difficult & expensive as getting a pilots license, complete with the biennial medical checks.

I fully agree.

Also, forgetting road rules & regulations, Thais (generally) seem to have rather poor driving technique. For example, they don't seem to have the concept of "assisted braking" (using the gears to help with speed reduction). I've also noticed that many Thais who are driving manual vehicles up steep inclines, will not willingly change back through the gears (to maintain adequate horsepower output) until the engine is well & truly labouring.

Strangely, a Philipino mate of my'n who lives in Thailand, drives in exactly the same way. Every time he lifts his foot off the throttle, he depresses the clutch pedal. I have no idea why he does this...it makes no sense. He will do this about 10 times per kilometre. He also "rides" the clutch at traffic lights etc & then complains about the vibration (clutch shudder) upon taking off.

I think that getting a driving license should be as difficult & expensive as getting a pilots license, complete with the biennial medical checks.

Interesting. I have a pilot's certificate. In the USA a 16 year old can fly a plane solo with no minimum of hours in the air.

Your mate is cheap, that's why he uses the clutch the way you describe. I thought you like the way the Thais drive. No one showed them how to drive a manual gearbox, I'm sure the replacement of gear components here is high.

That explains why I used to pass so many poofs going up Buddha Hill on my motorbike.

I hope this is not true. I will continue to drive the way I drove in the USA. It's what keeps me from running them over.

We all know that driving involves three aspects of one’s personality, the affective, cognitive and sensorimotor.

Affective is the driver’s feelings, emotions, attitudes, and values. Cognitive is the drivers thoughts, judgment, and knowledge. Sensorimotor is motor reactions, fatigue, stress, pain, and the driver’s vision.

Translated to the road our personality involves basic attitudes of sociality such as obedience, respect and conscience. Reasoning, decision making and problem solving. And not to forget how to maneuver a vehicle on public roads and tolerate both fatigue and stress where both reactions and vision rapidly will be tested.

If the above aspects are not trained and not working together, well trouble ahead.

They always brake on motorbikes whilst holding the clutch in as well. They all have two fingers on the throttle and two fingers on the front brake. Who teaches them this? This was absolutely advised against when I did my bike test in England. ( You do not have full control of the brake.)

Do not get me started on the use of mobiles when riding a motorbike. This latest fad drives me totally crazy.

Do not get me started on the use of mobiles when riding a motorbike.

I was recently following a chap on a m/c taxi jabbering away on his mobile, unfortunately (for him) the taxi took a swerve and he dropped the mobile, I tried to avoid it, (honest, I did) but it still made quite a satisfying crunch!!

Do not get me started on the use of mobiles when riding a motorbike.

I was recently following a chap on a m/c taxi jabbering away on his mobile, unfortunately (for him) the taxi took a swerve and he dropped the mobile, I tried to avoid it, (honest, I did) but it still made quite a satisfying crunch!!

Yup, I called up a thai friend of mine a furious whoosh whoosh- whooshing sound could be heard! <deleted> is that I thought...

'Where are you?' I asked

'On my way to Lamphun!' She replied.

'Who you with?'

'I alone.'

'Are you on the train?'

'No I ride on Motorsai!'

Thai Style! :o

Do not get me started on the use of mobiles when riding a motorbike. This latest fad drives me totally crazy.

It isn't that relevant now that the rainy season is over... but could I get you started on using an umbrella while riding a motorcy.

Now that the rain has stopped, the habit of smoking a cigarette whilst in control of the vehicle has resurfaced .... about the most pointless activity ever.

:D Probaly not to relevant to this thread but my wife phoned me this morning to say she was going to be late as some thai bloke smashed into the back of the pick up and calmly reversed and sped off without even looking at her or the car, What the f##k !! :D The police came and told her to tell the insuarance company that she did not see the license plate as it would only delay her claim, and that did she really want them to look for this car :o What happened to leaving the scene of an accident!!

I have a Fortuner and I drive it like I have a Tank, anything smaller better get out the way, especially motorcycles and Mitsubishi pick ups. :o

A Fortuner with red plates killed two Thais on a motorbike. The accident happened on Thepprasit Road the other night.

Yours?

Hi

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned a common practice that makes my blood run cold every time I see it.

Thats a young mum riding a motorcycle with one hand on the throttle and the other clutching a young child.

This is not a case of breaking a law it is just downright irresponsible, have they no maternal instincts

or are they just plain unaware of the stupidity of what they are doing? Unfortunately they are often accompanied by another child or more on the pillion who are also at risk.

As with all the undesirable driving habits this is not going to change overnight but a start has to be made somewhere and education that protects young children who are in no position to protect themselves is a good place to start.

Perhaps this might discourage them from subjecting their own offspring later on, should they be fortunate enough to live that long!

TBWG :o

Hi

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned a common practice that makes my blood run cold every time I see it.

Thats a young mum riding a motorcycle with one hand on the throttle and the other clutching a young child.

This is not a case of breaking a law it is just downright irresponsible, have they no maternal instincts

or are they just plain unaware of the stupidity of what they are doing? Unfortunately they are often accompanied by another child or more on the pillion who are also at risk.

As with all the undesirable driving habits this is not going to change overnight but a start has to be made somewhere and education that protects young children who are in no position to protect themselves is a good place to start.

Perhaps this might discourage them from subjecting their own offspring later on, should they be fortunate enough to live that long!

TBWG :D

Yes, this sort of behaviour is extremely stupid and I have seen it many times.

What is just as stupid is the fact that the police seem to turn a blind eye to children, obviously well under the legal driving age, riding mc/s in traffic. It seems to be the norm for the eldest child in the family to do the 'school run'. I'm not joking when I say that I've seen six children on a m/c, coming home from school, the eldest of whom may have been as old as ten years. Possibly younger as he could barely touch the ground with his tip-toes! :D

I can't imagine what on earth the parents are thinking when they condone, or possibly encourage, this behaviour. When I point out the stupidity of it all to the GF - danger to life and limb, no training, no insurance, no licence - she just takes the mai pen rai attitude and says 'up to him'. This is fairly typical as, after two years, she will only very reluctantly wear a crash helmet or a seat belt. These are, apparently, only relevant where there are police about - no thoughts about safety whatsoever. :o

DM

Hi

TBWG :D

Yes, this sort of behaviour is extremely stupid and I have seen it many times.

What is just as stupid is the fact that the police seem to turn a blind eye to children, obviously well under the legal driving age, riding mc/s in traffic. It seems to be the norm for the eldest child in the family to do the 'school run'. I'm not joking when I say that I've seen six children on a m/c, coming home from school, the eldest of whom may have been as old as ten years. Possibly younger as he could barely touch the ground with his tip-toes! :D

I can't imagine what on earth the parents are thinking when they condone, or possibly encourage, this behaviour. When I point out the stupidity of it all to the GF - danger to life and limb, no training, no insurance, no licence - she just takes the mai pen rai attitude and says 'up to him'. This is fairly typical as, after two years, she will only very reluctantly wear a crash helmet or a seat belt. These are, apparently, only relevant where there are police about - no thoughts about safety whatsoever. :o

DM

You cannot turn a blind eye when you are not looking in the first place.

How many times have you looked into the policebox only to see the "protector" with a newspaper or watching the TV.

Why are there TV's in police boxes?

As with all the undesirable driving habits this is not going to change overnight but a start has to be made somewhere.

Myself and a few of the other expats were talking about this situation last night and we thought of a possible starting point.

We are all prepared to give up a few hours of our time to try and teach some safer driving skills. Loong Dang (the expat bar owner) is well connected with the local police and he will be approaching them with our offer.

I have no idea how this suggestion will be received by the locals and the police, but you have to try something. I'll keep you posted.