Fee for visa on arrival doubled to 2,000 baht as of Sept 27

Fee for visa on arrival doubled to 2,000 baht as of Sept 27

843_Visa-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Starting as of September 27, foreign tourists from 18 countries and one economic zone will be charged 2,000 baht instead of 1,000 baht if they apply for visas on arrival (VoA) at any of the 42 designated immigration checkpoints.

Tourists from the following countries are entitled to apply for VoA which will allow them to stay in the country up to 15 days. They include Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

The 42 designated immigration checkpoints are: Suvarnabhumi airport, Don Mueang airport, Chiang Mai airport, Phuket airport, Hat Yai airport, U Tapao airport, Mae Sai immigration checkpoint, Chiang Saen checkpoint, Chiang Khong checkpoint, Betong checkpoint, Sadao checkpoint, Samui airport, Sukhothai airport, Bangkok harbor, Si Racha checkpoint, Mab Ta Put checkpoint, Nong Khai checkpoint, Samui checkpoint, Phuket checkpoint, Satun checkpoint, Krabi checkpoint, Songkhla harbor, Chiang Rai airport, Surat Thani airport, Sattahip harbor, Klong Yai checkpoint, Pong Nam Ron checkpoint, Aranyaprathet checkpoint, Muk Dahan checkpoint, Tak checkpoint, Padang Besar, Su-ngai Kolok, Nong Khai, Bueng Karn, Phibun Mangsaharn, Tha Li, Nakhon Phanom, Nan, Ban Prakob, Tak Bai and Bukit Tal.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fee-visa-arrival-doubled-2000-baht-sept-27/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-18

20 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

This adds $35us to their fare price......not too much, but some will balk.

about that yes, but if you read the post, the U.S. is not one of the countries with the increased fee,

1 hour ago, ezflip said:

Is it me or am I getting the impression that they simply don't want tourists anymore...

Fine with me.

I have no use for tourists.

Most are rude and disrespectful,

and I  find most from my home country very embarrassing.

But I do not depend on tourists for my income, so I am biased.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

It's very simple to understand.

Last time, they said an increase to 2,000 baht would be done to encourage people to apply for a visa at the embassy.

The friendly Thai Embassy in Beijing requires copy of return/exit ticket, bank statement, and guarantee letter from the applicant's local guarantor. The letter must include official letterhead of the company/school and affix with official seal, or residence permit for people without regular work they say. For a tourist visa. So it does sound very encouraging for the Chinese.

Now, it seems that in 2015, there were 7.9 million Chinese tourists, or 27% of all international tourist arrivals, and 8.8 million are expected in 2016.

Let's conservatively assume 90% of them entered Thailand on a VOA. Call it 7 million.

7 million x 1,000 = 7 billion baht

7 million (or more this year) x 2,000 = 14 billion baht

Increase in profit 7 billion baht.

Just more milking, that's all.

Edited by lkv

Double the price and it is still cheap and easy to get into Thailand.

It cost me a few thousand dollars ( not baht ) to get my Thai wife into the U.S.

and we had to wait almost three years for approval.

Again, Thailand is cheap and easy!

• Like 2

Thailand has so many tourists that Government really don't care, number of tourists (or at least the total amount of money they are making from) won't go down. They're actually going to make more money.

Same with visa restrictions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willyumiii said:

about that yes, but if you read the post, the U.S. is not one of the countries with the increased fee,

yes, the fee increase is for the people that at the airport actually have to apply for the visa on arrival, which is different than the visa exemption on arrival that USA and dozens of other countries can get.

While this information is correct, and it has ben posted on this forum before, it is about visas on arrival.

Most European tourists and Americans or Canaduans do not enter on a visa on arrival.

Those who are G-7 nationals enter on a visa exempt entry (non visa entries) or they  have tourist visas from Thai consulates or Thai embassies when they enter.

The majority of what yoi call the cheap-charkie back packers  from the EU do nor enter on visa on arrival visas.

Visa exempt entries, tourist visas, and visas on entry are 3 different things.

7 hours ago, willyumiii said:

This may reduce the cheap charlie and penniless backpackers who visit.

That would improve the tourist experience for those who can afford it and do spend money here.

Maybe not a bad idea.

So you want to get the backpackers and budget tourists out,     is it so the   '  quality  '   ones can have Kao San Road and the likes to to themselves   ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Oh yes a wonderful idea so we don't have to see and heaven forbid walk on the same streets as the lower classes.  It always spoils my day when I see someone who isn't of the same social standing as my good self.

how dare you? blasphemy. thou shalt not walk on or share the same hallowed ground that the select few tv forum elites walk on.  :blink:

• Like 1