North and Northeast warned to brace for torrential rains from tropical storm

snoop1130

North and Northeast warned to brace for torrential rains from tropical storm

841_TMD-wpcf_728x409.jpg

The Meteorological Department on Thursday issued an announcement warning people in 20 northeastern and northern provinces to brace for torrential rains and possible flash flood as a result of tropical storm Dianmu.

The epic centre of the storm which was developed from depression in the South China Sea was located at 10 am today eastward of Hainan island and was moving westward at a speed of 10 kph. It was forecasted to cover Tonkin Bay this afternoon after which it will move through northern Vietnam tomorrow and then upper Laos.

The department said that the storm will bring heavy and very heavy rains today and tomorrow in northeastern provinces of Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Bung Karn, Udon Thani, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom and Ubon Ratchathani.

On tomorrow and Saturday, the storm will bring torrential rains in the northern provinces of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Lamphun, Lampang, Uttradit, Phitsanuloke, Petchabun and Tak.

Meanwhile, the Weatherman said the southwestern monsoon which was covering the South and the Andaman Sea was gaining strength and warned fishermen to venture out to sea in small vessels from today until August 21 because of the high waves between 2-4 metres.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/north-northeast-warned-brace-torrential-rains-tropical-storm/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-18

This is really good news, because most of the northern locations are north of the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams and should help add even more to their storage capacity. Just hope there's not too much flooding in those  areas.

7 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

About time it p1ssed down, this years rainy season has been mostly dry up to now. I like it when it rains, reminds me of England, and the pitter patter of rain always helps me sleep better at night.

Dry, we have had more rain inchiang mai in the last 2 months than all of last year

"the southwestern monsoon which was covering the South and the Andaman Sea was gaining strength and warned fishermen to venture out to sea in small vessels from today until August 21 because of the high waves between 2-4 metres."

OK, we go out now, OK?

English <ldeleted> can you speak it?

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

Dry, we have had more rain inchiang mai in the last 2 months than all of last year

May was good, but since then it's been overcast & cooler, but the the actual precipitation has not been pisitively possing down, where my friends & I live, we've all been commenting on thee fact, and worrying about what it means for the coming winter !

Perhaps it depends which side of the plain you live on ?

It's going to the places that already got rain. I hope it spreads south and lays some water down in southern Esarn. A lot of Thailand hasn't gotten much rain this year. The Ayuttaya/ Prathumthani  central Thai area is also very dry.

I'm currently in Luang Prabang and it rained all night, mainly drizzle at this stage with the occasional downpour in between ... seems to be more frequent and more heavy as each hour goes by. Ironically I'm here to measure the level of the Mekong for 125 klms once she rises in the next 12 hours or so ...

5 hours ago, Alive said:

It's going to the places that already got rain. I hope it spreads south and lays some water down in southern Esarn. A lot of Thailand hasn't gotten much rain this year. The Ayuttaya/ Prathumthani  central Thai area is also very dry.

I am quite close to Ayuttaya and Prathumthani and its certanly not dry here gotten much more rain than last year. 

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am quite close to Ayuttaya and Prathumthani and its certainly not dry here gotten much more rain than last year. 

Doesn't seem like it to me. The water we have in the canals is green due to lack of rain and movement. It's is strange the way some areas just a kilometer away can get more rain than others. When it rains a lot there's flooding near Future Park on the Lotus side, in front of BKK University, in Navanakorn and in many places along the main road into BKK. Haven't seen any of that really this season. Maybe just once about two months ago near Navanakorn.

19 minutes ago, Alive said:

Doesn't seem like it to me. The water we have in the canals is green due to lack of rain and movement. It's is strange the way some areas just a kilometer away can get more rain than others. When it rains a lot there's flooding near Future Park on the Lotus side, in front of BKK University, in Navanakorn and in many places along the main road into BKK. Haven't seen any of that really this season. Maybe just once about two months ago near Navanakorn.

Yes its real strange how a few kilometers can have such an impact. I live near Bangyai and that is connected to patumtani  and around 40 km from Ayuttaya. I have certainly seen a lot more rain and many dark days (hate the grey days).

All I worry about are the dams (that they will get enough water). But I do have a wadingsuit (bought it after the 2011 flood I would have killed for one at that time). Just in case.

it rained in nakhon phanom all night, the rice fields are all looking good.

but the river has risen some 3m in the last 7 days, due to the rains in the north,  and is now forecast to rise another 1.5m until monday - which will bring it to 11m, just 1.7m below flood level!

i notice the locals are all looking at mother mekong...

http://ffw.mrcmekong.org/stations/nak.htm

time to buy a long ladder?

18 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

About time it p1ssed down, this years rainy season has been mostly dry up to now. I like it when it rains, reminds me of England, and the pitter patter of rain always helps me sleep better at night.

Where??? It hasn't bloody stopped down here on Phuket. If I'd wanted to get drenched to the skin every damn day I'd've stayed in the UK!

On 8/18/2016 at 8:45 PM, moe666 said:

I agree .just north of Chiang Rai it has rained every day for about the last 4 weeks. Thunder storm started at about 7 pm last night and has been raining here for 12 hours now.