Rio police say US swimmers made up robbery claim

webfact

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

My own concerns as well. 

In this day and age of CCTV, we should not be left relying on strictly he said/she said. 

I would like to see the damage. 

If they were held at gun point until they turned over money that certainly sounds like robbery.

IF the door was damaged then who determined its value? A security guard?

And why was the door allegedly damaged? Perhaps it was not working properly to begin with. What if one of the swimmers closed it behind him and locked it and then it refused to become unlocked? I would break the door to get out. 

So lets see some facts before we start reacting about how these boys are a disgrace. I have spent some time in Rio and honesty is not exactly a priority...as should already be understood by anyone watching the entire selection and construction preparing for these Games.

I would have been a lot more understanding of these young men had been forthright about what happened and sought to clear their names.  Instead, they lied about the misadventure and tried to flee the country.  In light of this, it's hard to cut them any slack.  Are they so immature that the truth has no place?  It has the feel of a coverup.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

I would have been a lot more understanding of these young men had been forthright about what happened and sought to clear their names.  Instead, they lied about the misadventure and tried to flee the country.  In light of this, it's hard to cut them any slack.  Are they so immature that the truth has no place?  It has the feel of a coverup.

I didn't think anyone had fled the country. One guy had returned to US since his swimming events were finished. 

If I just had a cocked gun pointed at my head when I didn't think I had done anything to deserve it and required to hand over my money I would probably leave that country quickly as well...

its not like he was facing jail time if he stayed.

Edited by ClutchClark

Athletes can be great role-models like this Brasilian Judo Champion who grew up in the slums..

What a pity that some drunk bimbos only have their medal and lewd behaviour to show as a role model. 

If they are found guilty apply the rule: If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

12 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I didn't think anyone had fled the country. One guy had returned to US since his swimming events were finished. 

If I just had a cocked gun pointed at my head when I didn't think I had done anything to deserve it and required to hand over my money I would probably leave that country quickly as well...

its not like he was facing jail time if he stayed.

It has been throughly proven there was no cocked gun pointed at his head. The video shows  at one point, one guard with what appears to be a small pistol in his hand.

We cannot say if Lochte  changed his plans to leave Brazil early, as nobody has shown he changed his plane reservations.

I'm unclear why you continue to defend them and post proven incorrect information in the light of their own stories  (now) and the video.

TH 

First of all Ryan Lochte is no kid. He is  in his early 30's. He and the others went out on the town and were drunk.  Had they simply went back to their quarters there would be no issue. Instead, they went to a gas station and decided it would be 'fun' to vandalise it. Then they lied and tried to blame the incident on a robber with a gun and Mr. Lochte embellished it with the news media. He left Rio quickly while his  'friends' were left to face the music. What he did shows a complete lack of character and certainly no Olympic spirit. He isn't much of a friend as he let them 'twist in the wind' while he continued to lie.

The Olympic committee should kick all 4 off the Olympic squad and strip them of any medals. Yes, anyone can make a mistake but mistakes have consequences. All of them need to apologize to the people of Brazil; the American people and all the Olympic athletes who went and competed without incident.

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

First of all Ryan Lochte is no kid. He is  in his early 30's. He and the others went out on the town and were drunk.  Had they simply went back to their quarters there would be no issue. Instead, they went to a gas station and decided it would be 'fun' to vandalise it. Then they lied and tried to blame the incident on a robber with a gun and Mr. Lochte embellished it with the news media. He left Rio quickly while his  'friends' were left to face the music. What he did shows a complete lack of character and certainly no Olympic spirit. He isn't much of a friend as he let them 'twist in the wind' while he continued to lie.

The Olympic committee should kick all 4 off the Olympic squad and strip them of any medals. Yes, anyone can make a mistake but mistakes have consequences. All of them need to apologize to the people of Brazil; the American people and all the Olympic athletes who went and competed without incident.

Incorrect conclusions.

Assumption they wrecked a gas station bathroom. 

And if they did not wreck it then the guard with the gun pointed at his head demandi g money would be a robber.

His lie is starting o fall apart- no one held a cocked gun to his head; and therefore, the rest of the story does not  hold up. If I had to guess -they were all drunk; rowdy and noisy, went into the gas station to relieve themselves and got into a confrontation with the security guards. They paid for damages and left.  They then made up the story to cover what actually happened and it found its way to the Rio police who started an investigation. When the story started to fall apart- the police decided to hold everyone to determine the actual facts. Mr. Lochte had already left- either by prior plan or knowing it was time to get out. In either event- his 'friends' were left holding the bag.  I don't think anyone should go to jail but apologies would be a start.

5 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Incorrect conclusions.

And if they did not wreck it then the guard with the gun pointed at his head demandi g money would be a robber.

The video shows them tearing a sign down off a wall. They admit to breaking the mirror in the toilet and other damage.  A gun was never pointed at anyone's head.

They gave the money in attempt to pay for damages and left before police arrived dispite being asked to stay by another customer that was translating for them.

They then went back to village and initially claimed nothing happened. Lochte then told his mother a concocted tale about being robbed that was leaked to the press. When asked about it by US Olympic officials and later by the press, Lochte repeated the lie. His teammates had little to publicly say about it but backed up Lochte's story, but when questioned by police admitted the true story. 

Why are so unwilling to admit they screwed up and then tried to cover it up with outright lie? Are your prejudices against developing countries so bad you cannot admit that 4 white, red blooded American men so throughly messed up and the developing country police are correct?

TH 

15 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Incorrect conclusions.

If you actually watch the full video, one gas attendant was in the toilet when the swimmers were inside as well, two more gas attendant came to check out what happen - assuming that the swimmers were causing havoc, they then quickly left the bathroom. So now you are saying the Americans words are more trust worthy than the Brazilian gas attendants. What makes you think so? The gas attendants own eye witness account is enough proof that they wreck the gas station bathroom.

The swimmers already lied about being robbed by police while they were in a car - yet you continue to say the American's story are more credible and its the Brazilians who are the unbelievable one. Amazing that you still find the Americans more credible....

24 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Incorrect conclusions.

What a load of crap. They wrecked it, admitted it, and there was never a gun at their heads.

2 minutes ago, mike324 said:

If you actually watch the full video, one gas attendant was in the toilet when the swimmers were inside as well, two more gas attendant came to check out what happen - assuming that the swimmers were causing havoc, they then quickly left the bathroom. So now you are saying the Americans words are more trust worthy than the Brazilian gas attendants. What makes you think so? The gas attendants own eye witness account is enough proof that they wreck the gas station bathroom.

The swimmers already lied about being robbed by police while they were in a car - yet you continue to say the American's story are more credible and its the Brazilians who are the unbelievable one. Amazing that you still find the Americans more credible....

I did not realize there was a video released.

In the absence of a video would I believe US Olympic swimmers over a Brazilian gas station guard? Yes.

How much total did the swimmers pay the guy pointing the cocked pistol at them? How much damage occured? 

Thanks for info on video.

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

His lie is starting o fall apart- no one held a cocked gun to his head; and therefore, the rest of the story does not  hold up. If I had to guess -they were all drunk; rowdy and noisy, went into the gas station to relieve themselves and got into a confrontation with the security guards. They paid for damages and left.  They then made up the story to cover what actually happened and it found its way to the Rio police who started an investigation. When the story started to fall apart- the police decided to hold everyone to determine the actual facts. Mr. Lochte had already left- either by prior plan or knowing it was time to get out. In either event- his 'friends' were left holding the bag.  I don't think anyone should go to jail but apologies would be a start.

Wait, the guard did not hold a gun to his head? I thought the original police report stated the guard did and that he had a right to since Locht was out of control?

Edited by ClutchClark

It was Lochte who stated he refused to get down on the ground and the the fake police placed a cocked pistol to his head and at that  point went down on the ground.  There was no cocked pistol; no fake police and the only guns were those of the gas station security, none of which put a gun to anyone's head.

I would also like to add that after some 20 years living in Asia that I have seen many times white males, including, but not limited to, this age group, with personality traits like Lochte of rashness and impulsiveness ,  display a certain attitude of entitlement that manifests itself in situations like at the gas station. This is followed by a display of victimization at the hands of developing country nationals when confronted by the reality of their acts.

It's a pretty classic behavior of a certain segment of the TV population. 

TH 

26 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Wait, the guard did not hold a gun to his head? I thought the original police report stated the guard did and that he had a right to since Locht was out of control?

No police report say that the guard pointed a gun to the head. It only said the security guard pull out his gun as the swimmers were not cooperating with their requests, they were drunk and acting in a threatening manner. The swimmers did sit down once the guard pull out his gun. The gas station even had a stranger help translate as the gas attendant and swimmers were not able to communicate.

One report said they payed around $40-50 and left before the police arrived.

Edited by mike324

Just watched some American news reports. Apparently the swimmers tried to leave after the vandalization without paying- it was then the security  pulled a gun and  said we will wait for the police. No gun was pointed at anyone's head. While sitting down- they apparently came to a payment agreement to which the guards or management of the station agreed. At this point, Ryan Lochte added another $100 as a 'tip' to make all the trouble go away.  They then were allowed to leave the premises.  The police got ahold of the story and it became an issue because Lochte went on TV in Brazil and the Us indicating  that  they were robbed and a cocked gun placed against his head. According to the news reports if Lochte would have just kept quiet- there would have been no story or issue. Now, the Rio police and the Brazilians are pissed off  because thy feel the Americans have made them look bad to cover up the swimmers stupid actions.  The American Olympic Committee has already apologised. Let's see what happens next.

^^^^Geez Thiadream the report I read right off was entirely different from this latest news. 

Sounds like these guys were idiots but no way should they lose the Medals. 

They won those fair & square. 

But they do owe a formal apology to Brazilians and the US.

Edited by ClutchClark

48 minutes ago, mike324 said:

No police report say that the guard pointed a gun to the head. It only said the security guard pull out his gun as the swimmers were not cooperating with their requests, they were drunk and acting in a threatening manner. The swimmers did sit down once the guard pull out his gun. The gas station even had a stranger help translate as the gas attendant and swimmers were not able to communicate.

One report said they payed around $40-50 and left before the police arrived.

The police said that a gun was pulled on Lockt and Lockt said it was pointed at his head cocked.

Since Lockt keeps losing credibility I guess nothing he has said is worth a thing. 

The guys a real embarrasment.

Not sure its been proven to be a lie.  3 swimmers involved.  All the "evidence" against them is the claim by a very embarrassed nation, and one of the world's most corrupt and violent police departments that "they found no evidence to support their claim". Between Brazil and a very weak Obama, they agree to throw Lochte under the bus, to avoid an international scandal. He claimed they were law enforcement. Not security guards. So it would be an international incident with major repercussions. The Brazilian government may have gotten to Obama. And he is turn may have sacrificed Lochte. 

Now it could have happened exactly as it is being reported, but considering that he is worth $6 million plus, and ALL of that money is from endorsements, not sure he could possibly be stupid enough to walk away from that gravy train. It just smells funny. I admit it could be true. But it seems too pat. Too easy a narrative to construct. It would have been a huge amount of egg on Brazil's face, if it had turned out to be true. There could have been tremendous pressure from both the Brazilian govt, which is teetering on the brink of disaster, and the US State Dept too, which does not want to embarrass a close friend in Brazil, and is fabulous incompetent. Plus the additional consideration of Brazil having a huge economy and sphere of influence in S. America. 

Lochte is worth over $6 million. all from endorsements. He has to be have been lectured to a hundred times, by his advisors, accountant, lawyer, agent, and parents, about behaving responsibly, especially at the olympics, to be able to maintain that income stream. Entitlement and a sense of privilege does not answer these questions sufficiently.

Some of it does not make sense. But, that could have been footage from the day before, showing them coming back with their wallets. We all know how powerful the government is. Did we see a date and time stamp, that matched the narrative? Even that can easily be manipulated. I question the media. I do not trust the media nor do I trust the US govt., and least of all do I trust the Brazilian police, and a government that is teetering on collapse. Desperation is the order of the day. 

I am just throwing out a counter narrative, and addressing a situation that just smells strange. Let us see what happens. That footage with the guys coming back after the event with their "stolen" wallets, could have been from the day before. We all may be underestimating the power of the government and the State Dept, and not considering their agendas. Think Vince Flynn. Think Tom Clancy. Think Barry Eisler, not New Yorker magazine, or NY Times, or any other tool of the government's agenda. We just do not know. It would be so easy for the State Dept, and the Brazilian govt, to create this. It happens every single day. National security BS. I have no agenda here. I know little about these guys, and care little too. But, I do not trust the govt one iota, much less the fabulously corrupt and violent Rio police.

Edited by spidermike007

50 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Just watched some American news reports. Apparently the swimmers tried to leave after the vandalization without paying- it was then the security  pulled a gun and  said we will wait for the police. No gun was pointed at anyone's head. While sitting down- they apparently came to a payment agreement to which the guards or management of the station agreed. At this point, Ryan Lochte added another $100 as a 'tip' to make all the trouble go away.  They then were allowed to leave the premises.  The police got ahold of the story and it became an issue because Lochte went on TV in Brazil and the Us indicating  that  they were robbed and a cocked gun placed against his head. According to the news reports if Lochte would have just kept quiet- there would have been no story or issue. Now, the Rio police and the Brazilians are pissed off  because thy feel the Americans have made them look bad to cover up the swimmers stupid actions.  The American Olympic Committee has already apologised. Let's see what happens next.

Ah sounds just like Thailand, where the HiSo try to buy their way out of the trouble they cause and telling lies 

Latest : US swimmer 'settles Brazil robbery row'

A US Olympic swimmer has agreed to pay $11,000 to a Brazilian charity over his involvement in a false story about an armed robbery at the Rio games.

Jimmy Feigen was one of four gold medallists, along with star Ryan Lochte, who hit the headlines after Mr Lochte said the group had been robbed.

But CCTV footage later showed the story had been invented after the swimmers vandalised a petrol station.

Mr Lochte left Brazil on Tuesday but Mr Feigen stayed behind and was detained.

9 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Latest : US swimmer 'settles Brazil robbery row'

A US Olympic swimmer has agreed to pay $11,000 to a Brazilian charity over his involvement in a false story about an armed robbery at the Rio games.

Jimmy Feigen was one of four gold medallists, along with star Ryan Lochte, who hit the headlines after Mr Lochte said the group had been robbed.

But CCTV footage later showed the story had been invented after the swimmers vandalised a petrol station.

Mr Lochte left Brazil on Tuesday but Mr Feigen stayed behind and was detained.

They should lose their medals as well and a banning for bringing the "sport" into disrepute 

Edited by Witblitz

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Ryan Lochte :

Washington Post:

"There is a special category of obnoxious American 'bro' that Lochte represents, in his T-shirt and jeans and expensive suede footwear, which he showed off on Instagram that night at the party along with the price tag. 'We're 6k deep here,' he captioned it. Is there anything worse, in any country, than a bunch of entitled young drunks who break the furniture and pee on a wall?"

San Francisco Chronicle:

"It doesn't matter what else Lochte has done in his Olympic career. This cemented his legacy: most embarrassing Olympic athlete."

New York Post:

"He cried wolf and was called on it, and that will be his burden to bear for a good long while - but not his alone. The Ugly American is alive and well in 2016 thanks to this dope."

" Inherent in all of Lochte’s statements in this controversy is a lack of respect. "

A lack of respect while openly disparaging the locals is far too common among those like Lochte and the many farang visiting/residing in Thailand and much of SE Asia.

Such behavior in a foreign country often invites retaliation -- usually against farang.

Edited by nemrut
grammar

1 hour ago, Witblitz said:

They should lose their medals as well and a banning for bringing the "sport" into disrepute 

Why should they lose their medals? They won them fairly, and their behaviour after has nothing to do with that.

Dumb and stupid yes but there are many stupid young people out there.  The difference is that they are there representing their country and other Olympians  That takes dumb and stupid to a whole new level.  Strip them of their medals and ban them from competing in the next Olympics if  you wish but they should be made to publicly apologise to Rio and the other Olympians.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Dumb and stupid yes but there are many stupid young people out there.  The difference is that they are there representing their country and other Olympians  That takes dumb and stupid to a whole new level.  Strip them of their medals and ban them from competing in the next Olympics if  you wish but they should be made to publicly apologise to Rio and the other Olympians.

They were just forced to pay $11,000 USD to get their passports back. 

That was one expensive bathroom door.

I watched the video. What kind of country thinks its OK for a private security guard to pull his pistol on someone who allegedly damaged a bathroom door? 

These US citizens were robbed at gunpoint...just not exactly as they claimed.

BTW, the video does not show them damaging the bathroom door. 

6 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I watched the video. What kind of country thinks its OK for a private security guard to pull his pistol on someone who allegedly damaged a bathroom door? 

I really don't get how you can still defend this.

31 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I really don't get how you can still defend this.

It's very difficult, once you've made your mind up and "chosen sides", to admit you are wrong.  default_whistling.gif