HELP! How to get around? GPS apps?

mglaser

So I just moved here from the US and have used GPS apps like WAZE to get around previously.  People here seem to say Google Maps is the best but I have a hard time looking up places without typing in the Thai names for them (and I speak little Thai).  I even went to a nice restaurant recently and tried to "pin" the location to find it again later but found the pin never saved.  Anyone have good advice on a GPS app that will save me the confusion and time so I can get around this country I know little of? 

Get a Garmin Nuvi GPS for about $150 and be done with it.  Phone aps are inferior to the ease of use and reliability of a car-mounted GPS receiver.  They are available from GPSsociety and the sponsor of the GPS placemarks forum page on TV.  About all you need are the POIs stored in the receiver.

i have a garmin sat nav but have found it really difficult to use, the translation from thai name to english is sometime hard to figure out. example is the 3 different ways i have seen jomtien spelt. luckily pattaya a fairly simple block sub divided by beach second and thrird roads. jomtien even simpler with just beach and second roads.

I think you just need to get more familiar with Google Maps. I've used it all over Thailand with no problems and just using English. To drop a pin somewhere just press and hold your finger on the map and presto done...you can then add a label to it and save the location either to your private save list or the Google Maps community. 

Something interesting with Google Maps compared to Garmin Nuvi, I have used Google maps for car navigation last few trips and the google map always pinpoints exactly where there are traffic jams, even during the recent long weekend where there was jams in locations normally not jammed. Nuvi is not near what google does when it comes to predicting jams, which in Thailand is pretty important.

Dunno how they do it though, anyone have some info on that?

Edited by AlQaholic

Just now, thinkingman said:

Get a Garmin Nuvi GPS for about $150 and be done with it.  Phone aps are inferior to the ease of use and reliability of a car-mounted GPS receiver.  They are available from GPSsociety and the sponsor of the GPS placemarks forum page on TV.  About all you need are the POIs stored in the receiver.

There's a Garmin shop in Tuc-Com also, 3rd or 4th floor I think. Good for updating maps etc.,

I'm not sure I understood the OP correctly but if you knew the English names of where you want to go and entered that it would be fine, nit sure if the Thai language would work on a device set up in English.

Anyway, enjoy your stay and happy hunting.

Edited by dotpoom

I use Life360 to track my wife and daughter so we know where each other are.  It works all over the world.  I realize this isn't what you're asking about.  However, I've noticed that it has a better map, listing of buildings, locations, and buisinesses than anything else that I use.  And it's Free.  Also, it does a great jop of telling me where I am so I know if I'm heading in the right direction when I'm walking around.  Need a date or wife connection though.

1 hour ago, reallybigken said:

I also use Sygic. One thing I like about it is it has offline maps. You don't have to be connected to the internet (Like google). You can can get all the world maps for one price, which is what I did.

Google has offline maps.  I've got several saved for use.

I use Google maps all the time here in Pattaya.  Works just fine.  Some issues with Thai names, but not many.

I have HERE (We Go) on my Android and the quality/readibility of the maps looks superior to me compared to Google maps.

It is free and the Thailand map is downloadable for offline use (without some tricky stuff like with Google Maps).

Offline use is a must on the smartphone/mobile.

For preparing trips at home I still use Google maps to get an idea about the route, distances etc.

The OP didn't write whether he drives a car?

What does "go around" stand for?

Also I bet that none of the navigation systems will ever overcome the hurdle of the chaotic transcription in this country.

They have something like an official transcription system but often ignore it because it does not fit well for the English speakers.

Some names are "burnt in" and you will rarely find "Phatthaya" or "Chom Thian" (following the rules).

I am biased on this topic as I can read Thai script quite well and rarely fail to find a location from name.

But don't ask to find a place from address (house and settlement number, road name).

Impossible with any SW.

Proof me wrong!

To add some more frustration:

Pattaya is even more chaotic as many street/road names are know by "nicknames" or simplified for  foreigners/tourists.

Their official names are hardly known (Chalermprakiat road?).

My current collection of (mis)spellings of Soi Buakhao from this forum and other sources.

Some are really ugly :D

Bouakao Buakhaw Buakaow  Boycow Buakhow Bukhao Bukow Bukaew Bokhao Bokhow Bhoakow Baukhoa

A street name in Bangkok that is known by the English translation of the original name,:

Wireless road => transcription would be: Thanon Witthayu.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Something interesting with Google Maps compared to Garmin Nuvi, I have used Google maps for car navigation last few trips and the google map always pinpoints exactly where there are traffic jams, even during the recent long weekend where there was jams in locations normally not jammed. Nuvi is not near what google does when it comes to predicting jams, which in Thailand is pretty important.

Speed/location data is collected from all android phones, and iPhones too (when the app is open) to provide the traffic data. 

http://www.techinsider.io/how-google-maps-knows-about-traffic-2015-11

my car has a built in gps, 9 inch screen, great graphics for junctions etc, its a shame its useless as it has no traffic data and the routing logic is crap - an option to avoid toll roads, but no option to prefer them, so it always wants me to drive on normal roads. Google maps is far better

If you have an iPad...

we installed an APP, called  [maps.me]

onto a 32Gb iPad series 2 ( or maybe it's a 3 but I cannot tell the difference between)

We've used it as GPS, for the US, UK, all western Europe, and then through Thailand and Singapore

All we did was spend all an evening downloading ALL the world's Free Maps of all countries that we ever expected to vist on our world trip 12 months ago

when you zoom right in, there's also plenty of Thai script alongside the English

The APP and all it's download maps are Free

Edited by tifino

3 hours ago, oMega69 said:

Best option hand down is : http://maps.me/en/home :

FREEE to Use also.

Enjoy.

I have used this for ages now, find it good.

If you have a Garmin GPS (which will take and SD card) then save yourself $150 and get the maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I have used them for my Thailand Laos Trip and all over Europe/UK.

Great free mapping

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

That's because everyone and their cousin in Thailand has a fairly new Google Android phone that's connected to the internet. Unless they have opted out in the settings, their phone is sending lots of anonymized date to Google...one of which is the location and speed/direction the phone is moving/traveling. It's amazing but Google aggregates all this real-time date FROM AROUND THE WORLD and can give its phone users FOR FREE real-time road traffic information conditions in their area.

The reason the Garmin and other paid mapping products are not as accurate with this information is their user base is much less hence they are getting much less raw data to work with.

One other thing I recently discovered about Google Maps is that by default, it keeps a record on one's phone (and at Google) of the routes one travels and stops made on a daily basis. In the app settings look under "Your Timeline" and you will see both a listing and a plotted route map of your travels by day since the day you started using the app. At first I was kinda creeped out but they I said what the heck...I'm safe from the NSA in Thailand even if they know where I've been  :P

On 8/24/2016 at 9:21 AM, AlQaholic said:

sed Google maps for car navigation last few trips and the google map always pinpoints exactly where there are traffic jams, even during the recent long weekend where there was jams in locations normally not jammed. Nuvi is not near what google does when it comes to predicting jams, which in Thailand is pretty important.

When I was driving up to Chiang Mai , I used Google maps on my phone all the way .  And yes I was warned about traffic jams in several places , and every time google maps were correct , it showed a 5 minute delay and it was spot on most of the time.  

I think Google collect all the data from the other cars in the area , so it can predict the traffic pattern. 

Edited by balo

On 8/26/2016 at 3:47 PM, balo said:

When I was driving up to Chiang Mai , I used Google maps on my phone all the way .  And yes I was warned about traffic jams in several places , and every time google maps were correct , it showed a 5 minute delay and it was spot on most of the time.  

I think Google collect all the data from the other cars in the area , so it can predict the traffic pattern. 

Yep, you can't do any better than Google Maps, especially for the price. Plus since it's one your phone, you can plan routes and other routing tasks when not in the car on any Google device...can this be done with in-car units like Garmin and if so, is it as seamless as using Google Maps?

Agree also Google is great at showing delays ahead...and suggesting detours around them. Once when I was on the elevated Chonburi Expressway returning to Pattaya, it said there was a long delay at the final tollgate and suggested I take the next to last exit instead and then continue on the surface street for that final stretch until the merge with the main highway again. I took the advice and remember seeing at the final exit what looked to be quite a backup.