Surprise-New Retirement Ext. Requirement in Phuket

18 hours ago, Aussie69 said:

Im sure I read of this requirement before in this forum. Someone had to take photo of the house, the number, the street, plus had to hand draw a basic street map pinpointing the location.

But that was for a marriage extension 

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Incorrect, the photo of the residence was only ever a requirement for an extension of stay based on marriage, never for retirement.

That's correct. Other posters here are getting confused with the marriage extension requirement, which for a long time has required photos. Retirement extensions have not.

And, I'd dispute what the OP was probably told by his local Immigration staff. Most certainly, the photo requirement was NOT issued by Immigration HQ in BKK, but rather, is some kind of local whim there at his office.

I renewed my retirement extension just yesterday at Chaengwattana BKK, and there was no such home photo requirement, and never has been at BKK.

Whenever local offices come up with oddball, add-on requirements, they seem to often like to blame them on BKK HQ Immigration. But usually, BKK HQ Immigration doesn't have and isn't enforcing the add-on requirement the locals are doing in the local office.

• Like 2

BTW, it would be interesting to hear if any other customers at Phuket Immigration are now being hit by the same photos requirement for the retirement extension as the OP here.

That would be an indication of whether the Phuket office has in fact implemented a new local requirement -- or, conversely -- if the officer handling the OP's application just was deciding to make life difficult for him, for who knows what possible reason.

It is pointless complaining to the immigration police. As police, everything seems to be run by police here, they simply follow the rules from their boss. Who knoss who the boss is but you can also be sure every change will result in new requirements so the new boss can show his superiors what a great job he is doing. As for you, just follow the rules of the petty bureaucrats because fighting them is a pointless exercise.

The moral of the story is live near immigration so hou can make the pointless return journeys at each whimsical change without wasting youd life and travel costs.

9 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Been in effect in Bangkok for a while for visa based on Marriage

Everywhere for an extension (it is not a visa)  based upon marriage but the topic is about retirement extensions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuartsmithson said:

Been to Immigration this morning, I can confirm the photo requirement of the house number, but as my wife is my dependent on my visa, she has to be in the photo as well. In addition they asked for a photo of us inside the house as well. Have to go back tomorrow.

What kind of permission were you applying for?  Retirement extension, marriage extension or something else?

In BKK they have long required photos for marriage extension.  Three pix in the house with me and my wife.  One outside in front of our gate with both of us and the house number clearly showing.  Plus a map showing our residence.  Etc. Etc.

Here, we have to sign all documents including the back of the photos.  In Thailand, your signature certifies the document was submitted by you and that it is accurate.

Why do they need all those items?  Why do they need the 90 day report?

How else can they keep all those people working at Immigration busy??

4 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

In BKK they have long required photos for marriage extension.  Three pix in the house with me and my wife.  One outside in front of our gate with both of us and the house number clearly showing.  Plus a map showing our residence.  Etc. Etc.

Here, we have to sign all documents including the back of the photos.  In Thailand, your signature certifies the document was submitted by you and that it is accurate.

Why do they need all those items?  Why do they need the 90 day report?

How else can they keep all those people working at Immigration busy??

As has been posted already above, the OP in this thread is about a photo requirement for retirement extensions -- not marriage extensions.

21 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Good guys in, Bad guys out.

Clearly good guys have house numbers, the implication is that bad guys don't.

21 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

my place, my section, my road........ all don't have numbers or id's.

my electricity bill is delivered into a little box attached to my hammock...

this will be interesting next year when i do my first extension.

Put a number on your hammock and take a picture. I am now fully understand another poster saying he has sold his 2 homes and half his business and now his pick up is for sale. He has no desire to own anything here and only rent. Been my feeling for a long time. Then there is the copper (he should have known better being a trained policeman) that built a new house on the basis of a head mans reassurances that no road will be built through his property and the government says file an appeal!! What a joke he would not live long enough to hear the answer which would in the end go against him anyways. The headman is laughing all the way to the bank. Who said farangs were smart. H.C. Fields famous saying. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe they only do this to people without some sort of rental contract to show them , if you own a condo a proof of ownership should be enough.  

You can't do the annual extension without proof of residence - which includes a copy of the rental contract.

12 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Put a number on your hammock and take a picture. I am now fully understand another poster saying he has sold his 2 homes and half his business and now his pick up is for sale. He has no desire to own anything here and only rent. Been my feeling for a long time. Then there is the copper (he should have known better being a trained policeman) that built a new house on the basis of a head mans reassurances that no road will be built through his property and the government says file an appeal!! What a joke he would not live long enough to hear the answer which would in the end go against him anyways. The headman is laughing all the way to the bank. Who said farangs were smart. H.C. Fields famous saying. 

YES! 100% captured!

i read all those posts, too. just as my life on this planet, my presence in thailand is purely temporary. and everything i do here reflects that.

• Like 1

A while ago on some thread, I mentioned that the lawyer that sorted out retirement extensions and 90 day reports on my behalf told me that a copy of my ATM card was required (along with the normal copy of bank book).

Numerous posters said this is not required etc. etc., but since then I've seen others posting that they also have had to provide a copy of ATM cards.

It also took me by suprise when copies of rental contract/landlord's ID card etc. were required.

Times have been changing for a while to make it ever more difficult/complicated for foreigners here.

Edit - So would I be suprised if they now require a pointless 'photo - no I wouldn't :(.

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, it would be interesting to hear if any other customers at Phuket Immigration are now being hit by the same photos requirement for the retirement extension as the OP here.

That would be an indication of whether the Phuket office has in fact implemented a new local requirement -- or, conversely -- if the officer handling the OP's application just was deciding to make life difficult for him, for who knows what possible reason.

I was there this afternoon to pick up my passport and there were several retirement extension applicants in the office and each had their picture.  Both told me that they had been there yesterday and were told about this new requirement and came back today to finish off that application process.  I cannot say with certainty that this requirement came form HQ or not but I was definitely told that was the case. But who knows.

Interestingly, the Phuket Immigration Office does not have a address number anywhere I could see on the outside walls or buildings. Go figure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

A while ago on some thread, I mentioned that the lawyer that sorted out retirement extensions and 90 day reports on my behalf told me that a copy of my ATM card was required (along with the normal copy of bank book).

Numerous posters said this is not required etc. etc., but since then I've seen others posting that they also have had to provide a copy of ATM cards.

It also took me by suprise when copies of rental contract/landlord's ID card etc. were required.

Times have been changing for a while to make it ever more difficult/complicated for foreigners here.

I am not of the opinion it is being done solely to make it more difficult. There are far more effective ways to do that if they really wanted too. They could make life hell here or make the system so it was pretty impossible to stay for any length of time. I think they just want to make people more accountable, and know exactly who is who and where they are. Money, Tax, Thailand derived income etc is what they are attempting in keeping an eye on. I know sometimes it's hard but you just have to go with it because otherwise it will drive you mad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

I am not of the opinion it is being done solely to make it more difficult. There are far more effective ways to do that if they really wanted too. They could make life hell here or make the system so it was pretty impossible to stay for any length of time. I think they just want to make people more accountable, and know exactly who is who and where they are. Money, Tax, Thailand derived income etc is what they are attempting in keeping an eye on. I know sometimes it's hard but you just have to go with it because otherwise it will drive you mad.

How is requiring ever more documentation not an exercise in going out of their way to make life more difficult for foreigners (to no good effect, I'd add)?

Let's face it, criminals will hide their tracks - so the ever increasing demands aren't going to bother them at all.

Not that it matters I suppose, as many posters insist that requirements aren't changing - its all in the mind of 'Thai haters' :lol:.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balo said:

OP never mentioned he was married , this rule is only for marriage extension and has been there for years.

Maybe you missed the point. This picture requirement is for the retirement extension. BTW, I'm not married but that is really not relevant to the retirement extension. It is true that the requirement of a picture for the marriage extension has been a requirement for some time.

18 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For many of us, your opinions on the always changing retirement extension procedures, at the Phuket Immigration Office, are of little value knowing you sail through the country on an Elite card. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Immigration paperwork and reporting is handled for you. You don't actually front Immigration yourself.

A bit of background:  Phuket Immigration Offices generally used to charge for the "free" proof of residence documents, keep the 100 baht change from the retirement application, and they set up a little money earner at the airport by charging for a fast processing lane. (something you get with your Elite card!)  Extensions then were always processed with little fuss.

A few years ago a small, but very vocal, group of westerners started to complain about these little perks. Their complaints to media, the ombudsman, and others had the effect of getting a number of Officers transferred off the Island, and a crackdown on processing and money collection procedures which made it impossible for them to benefit from their rorts. 

It seems they have reacted by making life difficult for their clients. Every time you go there it seems a different piece of paper or requirement is asked for. I've seen elderly retirees, who have lived here for 30+ years nearly in tears after being sent for more and more paperwork, from their banks and others, resulting in four trips to Immigration before being granted their extension..

It's generally believed the officers want as many as possible to use agents who pay commissions.

This not about a brave group of front line officers fighting to rid the country of "Bad Guys" and tax cheats. It's about a group of office workers behind a desk wearing uniforms and boasting titles and powers that are totally inappropriate for the tasks they are supposed to be doing, who are pissed off at losing their little piece of the corrupt system.

I just wish the whingers, who thought it was their job to fight greed and corruption wherever they find it, had a look around at all the good things here, and left their PC values back where they came from! 

Do you think I haven't been dealing with immigration over the last 30+ years? As I keep saying but it never sinks in. There is another option if you don't like the rules in the country you chose to live in. Nobody forces anybody to stay and put up with it or change the way you do things. Do you really think it is going to get easier? I will tell you now, it isn't. Thailand is what it is. Live with it or live without it because 100% they will change you before you change them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Farang99 said:

I am on a retirement visa, have been for many years, but last year, for the first time, we were visited at home by immigration officers who wanted exactly that, a photo of my wife and I standing by the house number. I wonder if they will want the same pic again this year - I had better be prepared with one.

Why bother,my visitor just took a picture with his phone.

24 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Do you think I haven't been dealing with immigration over the last 30+ years? As I keep saying but it never sinks in. There is another option if you don't like the rules in the country you chose to live in. Nobody forces anybody to stay and put up with it or change the way you do things. Do you really think it is going to get easier? I will tell you now, it isn't. Thailand is what it is. Live with it or live without it because 100% they will change you before you change them.

Oh good, another 'if you don't like it - leave' comment. :rolleyes:

Such originality always impresses those of us who have lived here for a few years.  Apart (of course) from those who have no options.....

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For many of us, your opinions on the always changing retirement extension procedures, at the Phuket Immigration Office, are of little value knowing you sail through the country on an Elite card. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Immigration paperwork and reporting is handled for you. You don't actually front Immigration yourself.

A bit of background:  Phuket Immigration Offices generally used to charge for the "free" proof of residence documents, keep the 100 baht change from the retirement application, and they set up a little money earner at the airport by charging for a fast processing lane. (something you get with your Elite card!)  Extensions then were always processed with little fuss.

A few years ago a small, but very vocal, group of westerners started to complain about these little perks. Their complaints to media, the ombudsman, and others had the effect of getting a number of Officers transferred off the Island, and a crackdown on processing and money collection procedures which made it impossible for them to benefit from their rorts. 

It seems they have reacted by making life difficult for their clients. Every time you go there it seems a different piece of paper or requirement is asked for. I've seen elderly retirees, who have lived here for 30+ years nearly in tears after being sent for more and more paperwork, from their banks and others, resulting in four trips to Immigration before being granted their extension..

It's generally believed the officers want as many as possible to use agents who pay commissions.

This not about a brave group of front line officers fighting to rid the country of "Bad Guys" and tax cheats. It's about a group of office workers behind a desk wearing uniforms and boasting titles and powers that are totally inappropriate for the tasks they are supposed to be doing, who are pissed off at losing their little piece of the corrupt system.

I just wish the whingers, who thought it was their job to fight greed and corruption wherever they find it, had a look around at all the good things here, and left their PC values back where they came from! 

I went to Phuket immigration a week past last Thursday and as I have done for the last couple of times for my

90 day report and fronted up with only my passport which was all that I needed recently.

I arrived at the wanabees desk passport in hand and was promptly informed that from now on I would need

a copy of my passport ID page and a completed Foreign national information form every visit for whatever

reason. The rational behind this I was informed, by the wanabee, was that the new Phuket immigration boss

is coincidentally the big immigration boss for all of Thailand. I, of course, have no idea of the validity of this

info but it could possibly account for the changes being voiced on this thread????

I did my last retirement extension last Feb and never encountered any such request.

Edited by phuketjock