Low energy light bulbs and tubes longevity - Not as long as promised

ExpatOilWorker

The newer types of low energy bulbs and tubes often promise 20,000 hours of usage, but mine often burns out after a few months. They either just give off a faint glow or show a black spot toward one end of the light tube.

Anybody else have this problem or found a reliable brand?

I have a stable 240 V at my condo, could this relative high voltage be the problem?

I have had LED lights go out after only a few hours.  I returned and got an exchange.  Most of the ones I have now are on 2 years (?) and running.  I keep waiting for the CFL lights to go out so I can change to the LED but they keep running also.  

So again, if you have bad luck with something, take it back (unfortunately in Thailand you will probably need a receipt of purchase.  But, here's a trick:  if you don't have original receipt, buy the same thing and then return the bad one.)

If you are talking about the CFL type , yes you are 100% right . They are IMHO worthless , reputable brand or not . Probably 10 lives not 3 months , and after that think about replacing 20% of your lightbulbes every 3 months . It is not only the case in Thailand but as far as i know of everywhere in the world .

The LED type is a different story . They last ages , and you can have a occasional failure but it is rare . Not go for the highest wattage since they are more prone to failure but a 5 to 9 watt bulb does a hell of a good job . They are now only slightly more expensive then the CFL type , but also require 1 or 2 watt less then the CFL type .

The quality of these CFLs seems to vary in a wide range to my observation.

20000h for such a thing? Forget it.

As maybe common knowledge: they are specially sensitive on frequent switching.

I used one for a stairway illumination automatically switched by a sensor.

Died after weeks.

Gradually I replace with LED which are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I have also had mixed results with the CFL bulbs. Some start flickering while others down right explode in a little puff.

I just checked and it turns out it is actually florescent tubes I have been using, but not the older types that need a ballast and come on flickering, but the newer very slim ones.

I checked LED tubes today at HomePro, but they sure give off a lot less light. 900 lumens Vs. 2,400 lumens for a similar length florescent tube. 

LED tubes as a replacement for a full size cfl tube is not worth it , because the full size cfl is very good in working properly and in energy/watt .

The 900 vs 2400 is not the same wattage , because otherwise it will be close , with a big margin on price on the cfl type .

The other ones , the cfl compact , like a bulb ( rolled up / U shape / bulb with rolled up inside ) is a different story . Here the LED wins and has higher lumens and very good lifetime . I hear some problems on highest wattage LED like 15watt etc , because of heat issues , but not on the lower wattage ones . They nearly never fail ( there are allways exception to the rule ) .

We have been getting rid of our CFL bulbs, when these were forced upon us the manufacturers decided it was best not to tell us about the dangers!

"CFLs are marketed as “safe” and don’t pose any health risks as long as the glass remains intact. The danger comes if the bulbs are cracked, broken or not disposed of properly. Although it sounds like a miniscule amount – 4 to 5 milligrams – there is enough mercury in just one fluorescent light bulb to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water."

Off course in Thailand they are correctly recycled and disposed off! :thumbsup:

I was over in Nakhon Ratchasima on Sunday spending the evening at the Sima Thani Hotel. In the ballroom of the Korat Sima Thani hotel as a series of displays from the Eve Lighting company of Bangkok. I spoke English to Mr. Joep (Dutch LED designer) and Mr. Komkrit, the managing director of Eve Lighting. Both had worked previously for Philips Lighting. Mr. Komkrit assured me if I saved my store receipt, original box and had any issues with Eve LED lighting he would see that I had a replacement lamp of the same type. I had noted that  the cash register sign at the Buriram Thai Watsadu specifically listed NO refunds on light bulbs.  Testing a light bulb or luminaire in a store seems sensible but did not address the issue of premature failure.  According to Mr. Joep, LED lighting technology changes rapidly and the 2016 LED fixtures and bulbs are better than previous years. I've noted how the price for Eve LED lights can be 260% higher at one store than another store in Buriram. Exact same LED light, just more expensive at one store than another. I've switched out the Osram CFL to Eve LED lights in many luminaires at my home in Buriram province. I was told Sunday that higher end hotels use LED warm lighting in guest rooms, public spaces and garden settings as suggested by lighting designers. The Sima Thani Hotel did not follow that lighting plan in my observation. 

EVE LED lighting fixtures bulbs lamps in Korat Sima Thani Hotel.jpg

LED home lighting fixtures at Sima Thani Hotel Korat exposition seminar.jpg

Isaan Sima Thani Hotel EVE LED lighting fixture bulb display.jpg