Thai girls warned - beware of being forced into sex trade abroad

webfact

I was dating a girl here once and 'her friend' told her she could get her work abroad. It was all too good to be true. Good money for an unskilled job. She was actually being pressured to go abroad. I told the girl I was dating to ask more questions. Ask for guarantees about stuff. 

Eventually, slowly but surely, the truth started to come out. And in the end, it would have meant selling her body. 

Who needs enemies, hey. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the women that are trafficked have gone there for prostitution.

It's not the sex trade that bothers them, it's that when they get there, they find out they are being used and are not going to get paid.

It might be easier to deal with the problem if they call it what it is.

The same thing happens to labourers, carpenters, electricians, etc.

They land, their passports are taken off them and they are forced into work without pay.

Oh, and screw the "official channels" rubbish, most of the "legal" agencies take fat payments off them up front knowing they are going to get screwed (in more ways than one) when they get there.

I know a few women who went overseas, specifically to make alot of money in the sex trade. One went to Singapore, which has a very mature attitude towards this, and licenses brothels. She got a work permit, specifically for this purpose. She made about 2.8 million baht, in about 16 months. Granted, she was a very busy bee. But, she came back with nearly all of that money, built a beautiful home, bought a car for cash, and started a business. I know another who went to Dubai for the same reason. She is also making big money. So, many go with the express intention to do just what this silly labor office is warning against. Of course there are cases where a gullible woman will get fleeced, or drawn into the trade, without intending that. But, many know what they are getting into, and are prepared for it.

2 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Most of the women that are trafficked have gone there for prostitution.

It's not the sex trade that bothers them, it's that when they get there, they find out they are being used and are not going to get paid.

It might be easier to deal with the problem if they call it what it is.

The same thing happens to labourers, carpenters, electricians, etc.

They land, their passports are taken off them and they are forced into work without pay.

Oh, and screw the "official channels" rubbish, most of the "legal" agencies take fat payments off them up front knowing they are going to get screwed when they get there.

Your quite right Chicog its the ebb and flow of the slave trade. Whenever it becomes an issue there is a lot of hoopla targeted arrests photo ops and then it slips under the radar again till its turn comes up to be an issue again. Its one of the horses on the issue merry go round

2 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Problem is greed, they love money too much, got a load of thai hookers in singapore chasing the $ but they all look voluntary to me !

They are voluntary in Singapore. There's probably a long waiting list to be trafficked out there.

A former neighbour of mine used to go out there every few months to fill the coffers before returning to Bangkok for a few months of eating, sleeping and watching soaps.

I know' I keep on repeating myself, but it's all down to a lack of education. The kids here do not get good schooling, they are not taught what is right and wrong by their parents either.There are good jobs open to women in Thailand, look at the banks and secretarial offers, hotel industry ( restaurant/ cooks/ silver service ) and all the jobs that women could study and train for if they had the chance . The Thai government should get the girls into higher studies and financial help given to get them into uni.You just have to look at all the sorry looking salesgirls in the nice shopping malls, sleeping in corners, staring in their mirrors, to see that most of these girls will end up in bars or worse. The best they read is a Thai comic paper book, have you ever seen a Thai girl reading ? When you don't read, you don't learn either. For me, it's solve the lack in education that will put an end to a lot of the horrors these girls will go through otherwise. Everyone knows that the most poverty struck areas of Thailand produce the most prostitutes, so the government should open its eyes and get off its lazy backside ! 

57 minutes ago, adhd said:

the lure of easy money

drugs, prostitution, human trafficking, weapons trade, corruption, protection money, loan sharks

in what is thailand not nr 1 ?

Let's see. Thailand is the educational hub of SEA, the medical hub, the prostitutional hub, the worst driver hub, and so on. Oh, and the military hub.

If it is too good to be true it usually is , but a lot get conned into going to work at restaurant or whatever and bang next thing passport is gone and you do as I say or you ain't going home anytime soon , you are  in another country for most people that would be scary , especially when the communications are cut off. Best shot is don't go ................................................:coffee1:

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know a few women who went overseas, specifically to make alot of money in the sex trade. One went to Singapore, which has a very mature attitude towards this, and licenses brothels. She got a work permit, specifically for this purpose. She made about 2.8 million baht, in about 16 months. Granted, she was a very busy bee. But, she came back with nearly all of that money, built a beautiful home, bought a car for cash, and started a business. I know another who went to Dubai for the same reason. She is also making big money. So, many go with the express intention to do just what this silly labor office is warning against. Of course there are cases where a gullible woman will get fleeced, or drawn into the trade, without intending that. But, many know what they are getting into, and are prepared for it.

Busy bee?   More a "workhorse."  

3 hours ago, petermik said:

I think the warning should read....beware of being forced into the sex trade.......not JUST abroad   ;)

I was going to write the same thing and I would venture to say that the problem is worse at home. 

Another instance of the Thais thinking their people can do no wrong and that this place is some sort of eden. 

boils down to risk vs reward....

if you live a decent life.... and someone came along and offered you a chance to work abroad for good money but you know there is a chance you won't be coming back and forced into prostitution... 9 out of 10 sorry not interested... if your current situation is degraded chances of you taking the chance is increased... working fields no future... chances you take the risk probably jump to  9 out of 10 yeah lets go!

bottom line improve the overall quality of life in thailand to make this stop.

12 minutes ago, speckio said:

boils down to risk vs reward....

if you live a decent life.... and someone came along and offered you a chance to work abroad for good money but you know there is a chance you won't be coming back and forced into prostitution... 9 out of 10 sorry not interested... if your current situation is degraded chances of you taking the chance is increased... working fields no future... chances you take the risk probably jump to  9 out of 10 yeah lets go!

bottom line improve the overall quality of life in thailand to make this stop.

the agents also lace their conversation with glowing reports of big rewards and comfortable life that people victims to this deception.

59 minutes ago, geisha said:

I know' I keep on repeating myself, but it's all down to a lack of education. The kids here do not get good schooling, they are not taught what is right and wrong by their parents either.There are good jobs open to women in Thailand, look at the banks and secretarial offers, hotel industry ( restaurant/ cooks/ silver service ) and all the jobs that women could study and train for if they had the chance . The Thai government should get the girls into higher studies and financial help given to get them into uni.You just have to look at all the sorry looking salesgirls in the nice shopping malls, sleeping in corners, staring in their mirrors, to see that most of these girls will end up in bars or worse. The best they read is a Thai comic paper book, have you ever seen a Thai girl reading ? When you don't read, you don't learn either. For me, it's solve the lack in education that will put an end to a lot of the horrors these girls will go through otherwise. Everyone knows that the most poverty struck areas of Thailand produce the most prostitutes, so the government should open its eyes and get off its lazy backside ! 

geisha

poverty, especially in the  rural communities has one major role to play in this game.

1 hour ago, Scottish Gary said:

What are the chances of Issan girls from poor families ever going to university and becoming hi-so?

Your flag is the Nova Scotia state flag. 

The Scottish flag is the Saltire, on its own.

The rampant lion is the Scottish Royal Standard, on its own. 

Bonnie Nova Scotia!

4 hours ago, petermik said:

I think the warning should read....beware of being forced into the sex trade.......not JUST abroad   ;)

I think, and it's only an opinion, that the vast majority of sex trade workers in Thailand, I mean the actual Thais, 

are not forced into the sex trade. There are all sorts of reasons for this, and they are well documented.

18 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Why worry about Europe,. Mama say "go Pattaya

find Farang with money, send money to Mama"

... but be wary of latching onto a Russian, as they play for keeps, and girls disappear (i.e dead) soon after arriving there

At the risk of sounding cold hearted, I'd lay bet many Thai girls line up at the opportunity to work in places like Japan or Korea.  I've witnessed first hand, girls paying to work in the sex trade in Japan.  Also... it's no secret that Thai girls work in KL and Singapore, voluntarily until they get busted,  then they cry foul.  The sex trade is alive and flourishing.  Even Filipinos make monthly trips to BKK, KL and Singapore. Now having said all that, I am also certain there are some, especially young ones who get tricked or coerced into the trade.   Just check Craigslist. 

Archived