One for those that used to live in Pattaya and prefer C M

thaibeachlovers

I have to choose between C  M and Pattaya to live. I know Pattaya well and C M a little.

Just what do you prefer about C M?

Does C M have expat social clubs like Pattaya?

Other than temples and restaurants, how is C M better?

I'm NOT asking about anything outside C M. I am very familiar with the northern areas. I just want to know if there is enough to do IN C M not to be bored. I can only tolerate malls for so long and I am not into restaurants.

PLEASE, leave the entire pay for play stuff out of this thread. I am well aware of what is on offer in C M and I don't need moralists putting personal opinions about it on here.

Thank you for any helpful replies.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say location is a key consideration, depending on your needs. Pattaya being 90 minutes from the airport is a key factor for lots of expats. And two hours from BK is another plus.

Climate could also be a factor. Pattaya usually has a nice sea breeze (and no smoke from burning forests).

Sorry, I don't know enough about CM.

But as to the expat scene, my guess would be that the "general" expat in CM is a bit more into things "cultural".

Conversely, I do think CM does not have the variety in terms of food and perhaps shopping that Pattaya offers.

What I liked about Chiang Mai:

- the 'adult' area is in one location, so in that respect CM is like a 'normal' Thai town, you can avoid it if you wish.

- no one shouts 'massage' at you every 5 minutes.

- people are friendly and the expats tend to be more backpacker and mature professional types, not mongers.

- shopping facilities, cinemas and restaurants are better than Pattaya.

- if you like outdoor pursuits (cycling, nature, zoo, hill walking, zip lining, etc) it has much to offer.

- great little cafes, with excellent coffee and home made cakes, with generally good wi fi.

- feels more genuinely Thai and less in-your-face commercial than Pattaya ... I love wandering around the walled city.

- excellent markets ... night market is large and has great arts and crafts and foods.

- second hand bookshops, great for browsing.

- an airport, so you can go to other places for a few days quite easily.

If you enjoy Pattaya nightlife you will not find it in CM to the same extent. My only complaint is the 'haze' that descends on the place during burning season, and for me that was the deal breaker ... your ideal would be to have a three to four month holiday somewhere else to avoid it. I could easily live there, but not all year long.

This is not easy to answer w/o knowing your specific #1 top favorite, list of things to do... I live a few hours from CM but visit there often and prefer it to Phuket, Pattaya, & Bangkok style places. 

There is an active expat club and you should look into their group activities if you enjoy joining groups. The little bit of that I have done in CM, I have found disappointing - but I imagine they have groups in Pattaya too that would disappoint me as well... 

What CM has that I do enjoy is the old city, particularly the NE area inside the moat, it has a quaint charm that I have seen nowhere else in Thailand. Plenty of "crunchy" restaurants and cafes and I have enjoyed just hanging out in these places and often meet interesting people. 

Though I do have a few friends in Pattaya that I enjoy visiting with, I will guess that I will find a more interesting conversation w/the expats I would meet in CM... 

As "beach" is in your name and I too love beaches, Pattaya is very disappointing for me... 

I guess it might be best said that the atmosphere in CM is friendlier and more conducive to relaxation and making friends, whereas Pattaya is electric with energy... its not the bars that you can walk past and have pretty ladies call out handsome man that bother me, it is more likely the guys who believe it and walk around with their chests puffed out and feathers in full array. And so, I would say a better vibe for me in CM... 

58 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

" expat social clubs "? Can you be a bit more specific?

There is an Expatriate Club in Chiang mai which meets once a month and where you can meet expatriates and make contacts. Apart from that there are a number of smaller "meeting circles" like chess clubs, Money (investments) meeting club and the like. I really believe that any expatriate who wishes to be active can do so in Chiang Mai. It is a very pleasant place to live in for expatriate as well as for Thais

3 hours ago, does said:

I'd say location is a key consideration, depending on your needs. Pattaya being 90 minutes from the airport is a key factor for lots of expats. And two hours from BK is another plus.

I used to think the same but in reality if you fly into BKK and catch a Thai airways, Thai Smile or Bangkok Airways flight to CM you will probably be there in about the same time as it takes the bus to get to Pattaya. You will probably only be about 1200 baht lighter in the pocket as well.

Although there are no beaches in CM there are some nice swimming pools including a couple of Olympic size ones. Despite the increase in traffic i feel relatively safe to cycle in CM, i would not in Pattaya.

After five years living in Pattaya I came to Chiang Mai, there are 2 years.

At Pattaya I loved to spend joyful moments of fun with tourists of all kinds and some alive expatriates. In this city,  I meet many time some people I did not know before and which over time have become good friends.

In Chiang Mai this is clearly impossible. The average western age must exceed 70 and discussion almost always turns to an overall criticism of the country and people.

After a few months here so I decided to have relationships only with Thais.

Sea miss.

Winter is nice but from March to September we suffocate.

Imho the only advantage is the beautiful mountain scenery around. But we quickly made the rounds.

In summary I regret much this choice, and I am leaving soon.

28 minutes ago, happy Joe said:

After five years living in Pattaya I came to Chiang Mai, there are 2 years.

At Pattaya I loved to spend joyful moments of fun with tourists of all kinds and some alive expatriates. In this city,  I meet many time some people I did not know before and which over time have become good friends.

In Chiang Mai this is clearly impossible. The average western age must exceed 70 and discussion almost always turns to an overall criticism of the country and people.

After a few months here so I decided to have relationships only with Thais.

Sea miss.

Winter is nice but from March to September we suffocate.

Imho the only advantage is the beautiful mountain scenery around. But we quickly made the rounds.

In summary I regret much this choice, and I am leaving soon.

This is bullshit...there are thousands of us here in CM below 70 years old, but what difference does that make anyway? You think that once you ate over 70 you have nothing to offer.

If you are leaving soon ,good riddance, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out

19 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

This is bullshit...there are thousands of us here in CM below 70 years old, but what difference does that make anyway? You think that once you ate over 70 you have nothing to offer.

If you are leaving soon ,good riddance, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out

Here is exactly the kind of person that I met in Chiang Mai.

They imagine themselves to be the navel of the world pretext that they live in the largest home for the aged in the country.

For your information grandpa know that I'm probably older than you. This does not prevent me from loving to live in the company of a variety of people:
Men but also women.
Old, but also young.
Expatriates but also tourists spree.
Rich and poor, lights and wrecks, princes of virtue but also alcoholic in the end, the saints and whores ...

Too difficult to understand for your binary mind ?

You're right, stay in Chiang mai, Pattaya is not for you.

I'm actually thinking in reverse. While I enjoy CM most of the time, mid-February through March in the smoky season is fairly ordinary.

So next year, I will be spending that time in Pattaya/Jomtien. I understand condos are easy to rent short-term at that time.

Perhaps the OP could be more specific about what he enjoys. He wants to know if there is enough to do IN CM not to be bored.  What doesn't bore him?

Each to his own. I avoid social/expat clubs, because that would be where most bores are camped.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

What I liked about Chiang Mai:

- the 'adult' area is in one location, so in that respect CM is like a 'normal' Thai town, you can avoid it if you wish.

- no one shouts 'massage' at you every 5 minutes.

- people are friendly and the expats tend to be more backpacker and mature professional types, not mongers.

- shopping facilities, cinemas and restaurants are better than Pattaya.

- if you like outdoor pursuits (cycling, nature, zoo, hill walking, zip lining, etc) it has much to offer.

- great little cafes, with excellent coffee and home made cakes, with generally good wi fi.

- feels more genuinely Thai and less in-your-face commercial than Pattaya ... I love wandering around the walled city.

- excellent markets ... night market is large and has great arts and crafts and foods.

- second hand bookshops, great for browsing.

- an airport, so you can go to other places for a few days quite easily.

If you enjoy Pattaya nightlife you will not find it in CM to the same extent. My only complaint is the 'haze' that descends on the place during burning season, and for me that was the deal breaker ... your ideal would be to have a three to four month holiday somewhere else to avoid it. I could easily live there, but not all year long.

Pretty accurate.  I would add that the Thais in Chiang Mai are pretty genuine and decent.  Most are from CM or the north in general.  Most do not work in the tourist trade and don't have a negative view of farangs.   Contrast that with Pattaya, where it seems most of the Thais there are more mercenary.  It's not their hometown and they're there to make money.  They've seen the worst sides of foreigners and don't think twice about fleecing a farang. 

I don't know Pattya, so can't make any comment.  I like CM very much and you can make friends of all sorts there.  Beware of The Expat's Club.  Nancy will probably be too busy selling her Christmas dinner to the other expats to bother about someone who would like to become a member.  You will sit with your coffee all alone, surrounded by the members, not one of whom will show any signs of being friendly.  The Aus lady at the reception was pleasant, but once you had passed out of her orbit............

Went to CM once, never again. Took me 30 mins to look around old town. Diced with death every time I tried to cross a road. Boring and expensive girly bars with ugly and unfriendly girlies. Same sort of markets you get anywhere in Thailand. Expensive second hand book shops. Expensive everything else. Expensive/dodgy taxis and no baht buses. No cooling breeze. Smog bound. Too far from Suvarnabhumi. No beaches. Horrendous immigration office according to reports. Unfriendly expats. Kissed the ground when I arrived back in Pattaya.

Apart from that it was ok.

3 hours ago, bazza40 said:

I'm actually thinking in reverse. While I enjoy CM most of the time, mid-February through March in the smoky season is fairly ordinary.

So next year, I will be spending that time in Pattaya/Jomtien. I understand condos are easy to rent short-term at that time.

Condos are easy to rent pretty much all of the time.  I do like Pattaya, in small doses. Too long wears me down.

Other than temples and restaurants, how is C M better?

I quoted this because what is about to follow will indeed be why Chiang Mai is better, which inevitably are the things that make Pattaya worse. So yes this constitutes Pattaya bashing, a pastime that's as popular in expat circles as it is futile.  I'll try to write it as a positive for Chiang Mai more than a negative for Pattaya, which may then seem like I have rose tinted lenses fitted.  However, the OP specifically asked for it so here we go.

Chiang Mai is better because of the people and history.  Wherever you go around town, it is obvious that there is a 700+ year history to the place, and that a Chiang Mai person's great-grandparents also lived in Chiang Mai. Inevitably when a place artificially 'booms' with development, a lot of people migrate to that area for the sole reason of making money.  People are there to make a living, which means they take less pride in the place, it means they're away from family and social structures that instill morals and values.  "Morals".. "values".. don't dismiss these as empty words, they are what causes people to care, make an effort, make their city better, and help others. It's a stronger weave of the fabric of society. 

The very nature of Pattaya is exploitative in nature.  Exploiting the environment, exploiting the walking ATMs that arrive by the busload, and those Busloadians in turn exploiting the Thais in various ways.  That quickly turns into a really negative, distrustful and disrespectful vibe.  Some people are successful in dealing with that in various ways, but for many it takes effort, or it wears you down.

What does Chiang Mai offer specifically that's so special?  Nothing.  Well, some historical sights and easily accessible nature.  The main thing however, for those people who have an actual love for typical Thailand things, is that Chiang Mai is a great place that brings these together in a bit of a 'Goldilocks' package.  It's not too big, it's not too small, there's enough tourism and international influence to have your Western comforts, but not so much that it crowds out the Thainess like it does in Pattaya, Patong, etc. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

^^

Thank you for your reply.

While I appreciate every reply, I'd really like to know what C M has to offer, rather than the bad points about it.

I already know the good stuff about Pattaya, but I need to know if it's worth forgoing them to live in C M.

I think the problem is that CM has little or nothing to offer except a nascent gay scene. So, given your parameters, answering you is very difficult. You are asking for positive views of a place that has little to offer.

Popped up to Chiang Mai to buy furniture at Ban Tawai. Great village. Went to Lokroy road to a nice bar owned by a Belguim. An old man can in struggling to walk due to age and walking stick. I tried to help him with his chair and was abused by this horrible piece of sh£te. Told him to fall over then and sat back down. Next to come into the bar was a tall English fellow with a "prawn peeler" (bar girl) in tow. Out of friendliness and just a casual greeting I said "Hi how are you". The answer from this pr£ck  was "whats it got to do with you". Needless to say I was getting a bit hot after this and proceeded to berate the jerk. Fortunately for him my wife came back into there from being at the markets. She told me not to worry as it is good to see some one like him unhappy. The Belgium owner came over and sat with us and had a drink and told me there is quite a lot of miserable sods up there. Needless to say this was only a couple I seen but did leave a sour taste in my mouth for Chiang Mai. I must admit though the Belgium owner was a top bloke. Friendly, courteous and very welcoming. 

8 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

I don't know Pattya, so can't make any comment.  I like CM very much and you can make friends of all sorts there.  Beware of The Expat's Club.  Nancy will probably be too busy selling her Christmas dinner to the other expats to bother about someone who would like to become a member.  You will sit with your coffee all alone, surrounded by the members, not one of whom will show any signs of being friendly.  The Aus lady at the reception was pleasant, but once you had passed out of her orbit............

My goodness, clearly you haven't been to a CEC Breakfast Club in a while.  We've now got a Welcome Committee and several tables set aside for newcomers to sit with members who are very welcoming and want to talk to new folks.  It's a different vibe.  

I've often considered CM, but the burning season throws me off.  It's bad enough here near Pattaya.  I know a few who live there and have to leave every year due to health issues.  Though I try to leave at that time of the year anyway as it's too hot!!!!

As for the temp, I think it's a bit hotter in spring and quite a bit cooler in the winter.  The cooler part sounds great.