Retirement Visa Requirements In Jomtien

Hello all. I am retiring to Pattaya in October. I will be coming on a 60 day tourist visa and then will obtain a retirement visa in Jomtien. Can anyone please advise if the doctor and police reports are a requirement in the Jomtien immigration office, or is it just a proof of income that is needed ( I have this). Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Champers.

(thread should be moved to the visa forum where the expertise is)

I assume you want to apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement.

(before others tell you that is not a visa :P)

Coming with tourist visa was not a good idea.

Makes things a bit more complicated.

A single entry Non-O visa is recommended.

Health certificate and police report are NOT required for extension of stay (in Jomtien/Pattaya).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Jomtian are corrupt. I had all my papers in order and the woman officer insisted I must go to Bangkok to get my income letter translated to Thai. Followed quickly by " I can do everything for you right now just 15k baht"

I went to Bangkok the next day and sorted in 30 mins.

Best go to Bangkok IMO

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Jomtian are corrupt. I had all my papers in order and the woman officer insisted I must go to Bangkok to get my income letter translated to Thai. Followed quickly by " I can do everything for you right now just 15k baht"

Best go to Bangkok IMO

Retirement extension?  I've never heard of that happening at Jomtien.  Has anyone else?  Or is this a one time thing?

45 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

(thread should be moved to the visa forum where the expertise is)

I assume you want to apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement.

(before others tell you that is not a visa :P)

Coming with tourist visa was not a good idea.

Makes things a bit more complicated.

A single entry Non-O visa is recommended.

Health certificate and police report are NOT required for extension of stay (in Jomtien/Pattaya).

Just to clarify: It's a 60 day O/A visa, to be purchased from the Thai consulate in Liverpool, UK. This will give me 2 months in Thailand to convert to retirement visa.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

Just to clarify: It's a 60 day O/A visa, to be purchased from the Thai consulate in Liverpool, UK. This will give me 2 months in Thailand to convert to retirement visa.

Why not get a retirement one in the UK it will give you two years?

Scotwright, I can't book an appointment in the embassy in London and it's an expensive trip down there for me to go "on spec" and not be certain I will get things sorted in a day. Thanks for your interest & help.

8 hours ago, champers said:

Well, I am not sure what you are getting from Liverpool. It is surely not an O-A visa which can only be had in London. If it is a 60-day visa, that will be a tourist visa and entry on it must be converted to a Non Imm entry (a considerable hassle) before you can apply for an extension based on retirement. As others have opined, a 90-day Non O single entry would be best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, champers said:

Sorry but you're not really clarifying anything since there is no 60 day O/A visa. There is a long stay visa called a non-imm O-A, but it gives you an entry for one year and if you do a border hop just before it expires you would get a second year's permission to stay in Thailand before needing to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

In order to apply for an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based on retirement at Jomtien, you need to be in the country on a non-imm O entry or a non-imm O-A entry.

Probably easiest for you to get a non-imm O in UK, which gives you a 90 day permission to stay in Thailand and, during the last 30 days of that permission you could go to Jomtien to apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement.

If you come to Thailand using a tourist visa which gives you a 60 day entry, you would first need to change that to a non-imm O entry . That would require two visits to immigrations  before you could even begin the extension of stay process at Jomtien.

To actually apply for the extension of stay at Jomtien, you need the application form, photo, photocopies of relevant pages from your passport & departure card, some proof of local address and financial proof.

The financial proof can be Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank for at least 2 months (it will need to be 3 month for future extensions) OR proof from your embassy in Bangkok that you have a monthly income of at least Baht 65,000 OR you could combine the two methods so that annual income and bank deposit would add up to Baht 800,000.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If he lives in Pattaya, he could not have done his retirement extension in Bangkok.

I assume he meant he wanted to change from a tourist visa entry to a non-imm O entry as a first step in the retirement extension process and the lady was right, that can't be done at Jomtien. It has to be done in Bangkok. Some offices might accept the application, but it still would need to be sent to Bangkok to be processed.

I've been doing extensions at Jomtien for a decade and have never encountered anything but helpful, efficient service.

Jomtien does accept applications for a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. But they are making it hard for people to do if they have a income letter. Money in the bank is not a problem as long as you have a letter from the bank to prove the funds came for abroad.

If going to Bangkok to do one it would be wise to put a Bangkok address on the application form or they might send a person back to Jomtien if they had a Pattaya address on it.

If he lives in Pattaya, he could not have done his retirement extension in Bangkok.

I assume he meant he wanted to change from a tourist visa entry to a non-imm O entry as a first step in the retirement extension process and the lady was right, that can't be done at Jomtien. It has to be done in Bangkok. Some offices might accept the application, but it still would need to be sent to Bangkok to be processed.

I've been doing extensions at Jomtien for a decade and have never encountered anything but helpful, efficient service.

Wrong!

I own a condo in Bangkok. It was just a matter taking in my deeds and presto!

I started a thread in the visa section about the hassle I got at Pattaya immigration, you can search for it, I can't be bothered.

However because your service there has been outstanding it doesn't mean it's the case for everyone nor do I expect everyone to see the corruption I did

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Jomtien does accept applications for a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. But they are making it hard for people to do if they have a income letter. Money in the bank is not a problem as long as you have a letter from the bank to prove the funds came for abroad.

If going to Bangkok to do one it would be wise to put a Bangkok address on the application form or they might send a person back to Jomtien if they had a Pattaya address on it.

OK. I stand corrected. I thought the conversion still needed to be done in Bangkok. I assume if Jomtien accepts the application it would still need to be sent to Bangkok to be processed??

In any case, it would still be simpler if the O/P started out with a non-imm O entry.

Edited by Suradit69

Just now, Suradit69 said:

OK. I stand corrected. I thought the conversion still needed to be done in Bangkok. 

In any case, it would still be simpler if the O/P started out with a non-imm O entry.

Jomtien accepts the applications and sends them to Bangkok for a approval. In Bangkok or at offices that accept the applications it takes 2 trips to immigration about 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamp after the application is approved.

It it would be good to have the non-o but in the UK he will not be able to get one unless he is 65 or over and getting a old age pension.

Getting a non-o visa in many countries is also not possible because there is only an embassy or official consulate that will only do the OA visa.

18 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Wrong!

I own a condo in Bangkok. It was just a matter taking in my deeds and presto!

I started a thread in the visa section about the hassle I got at Pattaya immigration, you can search for it, I can't be bothered.

However because your service there has been outstanding it doesn't mean it's the case for everyone nor do I expect everyone to see the corruption I did

" Wrong! 
I own a condo in Bangkok. It was just a matter taking in my deeds and presto! "

Well then you live (have a residence) in Bangkok. Since you got the extension in Bangkok you would have to do 90 day reports in Bangkok or change your address with immigrations to Pattaya if you want to do them at Jomtien.

There have been many, many positive reports about the service at Jomtien, not just mine. As Scotwight said, the difficulty you experienced (caused?) is rare, verging on the non-existent, at Jomtien.

• Like 1

" Wrong! 

Well then you live (have a residence) in Bangkok. Since you got the extension in Bangkok you would have to do 90 day reports in Bangkok or change your address with immigrations to Pattaya if you want to do them at Jomtien.

There have been many, many positive reports about the service at Jomtien, not just mine. As Scotwight said, the difficulty you experienced (caused?) is rare, verging on the non-existent, at Jomtien.

You are right. I visit jomtian several times a year and just so happens I decided to to the 90 day here with a t28 yesterday as advised by Udonjoe in another thread. Took exactly 5 mins, now that's what I call outstanding service!

unless you know the hundreds of people lining up for a non o or retirement visa you can't possibly know if it's rare. Certainly the casual and relaxed manner in which she tried to extort 15k from me tells me she has done that trick many times..

18 minutes ago, mcfish said:

You are right. I visit jomtian several times a year and just so happens I decided to to the 90 day here with a t28 yesterday as advised by Udonjoe in another thread. Took exactly 5 mins, now that's what I call outstanding service!

unless you know the hundreds of people lining up for a non o or retirement visa you can't possibly know if it's rare. Certainly the casual and relaxed manner in which she tried to extort 15k from me tells me she has done that trick many times..

" unless you know the hundreds of people lining up for a non o or retirement visa you can't possibly know if it's rare.  "

I said "reports," meaning reports on Thai Visa and I do read most of those that have to do with Jomtien immigrations and so yes, I can say reports regarding Jomtien posted on TV are overwhelmingly positive. Reports regarding problems or claims of corruption are very rare and the few that have been made seem to involve an applicant trying to do something by bending the rules.

Your comment that " Jomtian [sic] are corrupt" is a gross exaggeration and based on a single incident, about which we have to depend on your interpretation of the event. If your official residence at the time you applied for the extension was in Bangkok, then your application couldn't be processed at Jomtien. If someone offered to do it anyway with an extra payment, that is wrong, but essentially you wanted the rules bent to do the extension in Pattaya when it should have been done in Bangkok.

Edited by Suradit69

15 hours ago, champers said:

Scotwright, I can't book an appointment in the embassy in London and it's an expensive trip down there for me to go "on spec" and not be certain I will get things sorted in a day. Thanks for your interest & help.

OP - are you in receipt of the UK State Pension? If so, you are eligible to apply for a single-entry non-O visa from the London Embassy on production of your latest DWP letter, as stated by ubonjoe in post #17. Further details on their website at http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

You can save an expensive trip to London by mailing your application to them. Alternatively it might be possible for you to apply for this visa at the Liverpool Consulate, although they will then need to refer your application to the London Embassy for approval - see http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/

Hi everyone. I'm 57 and not in receipt of a UK state pension. I have 2 occupational pensions plus savings well over what is required. No worries on the financial score. Many thanks for everyone's help. Regards, Champers.

I successfully went through the conversion process from tourist visa to non immigrant O to 1 year extension of stay based on retirement at Jomtien from Feb to May this year. I did it on the basis of the lump sum in bank rather than monthly pension.  The only minor issue I had was going in the afternoon for the 1 year extension and one of the staff took me to the side office to confirm all my paperwork was in order, which it was , and on completion he said that will be 4,000 baht. I replied that I didn't need a fast track special service and would like to pay the standard 1,900 baht fee. " very busy cannot do ", so I thanked him and said no problem I'll come back tomorrow morning then. Went through fine the next morning and I made a point of blanking him as he hovered around the area while the other staff properly did their job.

Got a residence letter for driving licence in 20 minutes this week, ( driving licence took 45 minutes which is another big improvement at the Driving Centre ),  and about to walk down and do my first 90 day report.

I find their service excellent and helpful on the whole.

• Like 1

I successfully went through the conversion process from tourist visa to non immigrant O to 1 year extension of stay based on retirement at Jomtien from Feb to May this year. I did it on the basis of the lump sum in bank rather than monthly pension.  The only minor issue I had was going in the afternoon for the 1 year extension and one of the staff took me to the side office to confirm all my paperwork was in order, which it was , and on completion he said that will be 4,000 baht. I replied that I didn't need a fast track special service and would like to pay the standard 1,900 baht fee. " very busy cannot do ", so I thanked him and said no problem I'll come back tomorrow morning then. Went through fine the next morning and I made a point of blanking him as he hovered around the area while the other staff properly did their job.

Got a residence letter for driving licence in 20 minutes this week, ( driving licence took 45 minutes which is another big improvement at the Driving Centre ),  and about to walk down and do my first 90 day report.

That's 2 of us that have encountered corrupt officials on this thread alone. I to was taken into a side room as well

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" unless you know the hundreds of people lining up for a non o or retirement visa you can't possibly know if it's rare.  "

I said "reports," meaning reports on Thai Visa and I do read most of those that have to do with Jomtien immigrations and so yes, I can say reports regarding Jomtien posted on TV are overwhelmingly positive. Reports regarding problems or claims of corruption are very rare and the few that have been made seem to involve an applicant trying to do something by bending the rules.

Your comment that " Jomtian [sic] are corrupt" is a gross exaggeration and based on a single incident, about which we have to depend on your interpretation of the event. If your official residence at the time you applied for the extension was in Bangkok, then your application couldn't be processed at Jomtien. If someone offered to do it anyway with an extra payment, that is wrong, but essentially you wanted the rules bent to do the extension in Pattaya when it should have been done in Bangkok.

Well they were corrupt. You probably weren't affected when they were charging 5,000 Baht for the new 30 day extension a couple of years ago, even though it was widely announced that the fee was 1,900.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kinyara said:

A few months ago you wrote, " Yesterday I applied to convert my multi entry tourist visa, ( last entry ), to a non immigrant O for retirement purpose at Jomtien. I provided the following ....... This was then accepted, paid the 2,000 baht and was given my receipt and a ticket to come back on March 3rd to see if approved by Bangkok. This is the bit I didn't expect. The date they have given me is the date my current visa expires, which is hardly reassuring in the event of a problem. Obviously I will have to prepare the documents for an extension to my existing visa and take that with me on the day as a back up plan."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891802-converting-a-visa-exempt-or-tourist-visa-entry-into-a-retirement-extension/#comment-10380591

If you came back the next day your visa would have been expired.  How did that work out?

Edited by Scotwight

18 hours ago, mcfish said:

Best go to Bangkok IMO

I've had six extensions of stay done at Jomtien and can only praise the staff - polite and efficient. Of course it goes without saying that I am polite with them, dress properly and treat them with respect. Maybe you did something to upset them first?

• Like 1

I've had six extensions of stay done at Jomtien and can only praise the staff - polite and efficient. Of course it goes without saying that I am polite with them, dress properly and treat them with respect. Maybe you did something to upset them first?

Errrr how did you figure you need to be upset to be corrupt?

No offense but that's just ridiculous..

You think they would try and extort a hippy backpacker in dreadlocks for 15k? Or you think they will select a target that dresses well and looks like they have money?

It's not a trick question lol

7 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" Wrong!