One dead as sign on Chiang Mai - Lampang Super Highway comes crashing down

rooster59

One dead as sign on Chiang Mai - Lampang Super Highway comes crashing down

sign.PNG

Image: Daily News

A man was killed this morning when a Toyota crashed into a large sign on the Chiang Mai - Lampang Super Highway.

The accident happened at kilometer marker 472 in the Hang Chat district of Lampang on the road going towards Chiang Mai.

No other details were available at this time.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-27

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

So did the car hit the vertical support which resulted in the sign crashing down? 

The car does not appear to be struck from above?

Of all the sections of road to veer off he smacks the one spot that is not forgiving.

this is what is called an ACCIDENT. pity the poor guy who died was in the wrong place.

19 minutes ago, taotoo said:

You can see damage to the structure where it's presumably landed on top of the car.

the structure integrity might already have been compromised before the accident and this was the final blow to bring the stage down.

Probable what happened, or might have, is that ,well,on second thoughts maby something else caused the accident, or, was it actually an accident. Then again, how do we know it actually happened at all. The only way we will really know is what is written on TV.Maby.

It seems he drove into the pole supporting the sign and it crashed down on him. It looks like a straight road, so why? But then, I have a long straight road outside my house and nine cars or lorries have managed to veer off within 200 metres in just 18 months. I'm glad I don't live on a bend, If they can't navigate a straight road......

Why do you call this an accident? My civil engineering friend (head of a local citty public works dept) made me stop the car as he got out and inspected at how signs' and billboards' structures would not meet city code requirements b/c this and this are missing, no proper welding,  blah blah...

Maybe it was a so-called accident waiting to happen? 

That happens with vague wording:

a Toyota crashed into a large sign

I looked at the Thai text and there it seem to say that this speeding Toyota crashed into the PILLAR of the sign and "ruined" it.

So not "bad Thai engineering" but bad driving from whoever.

And that explains that the photo of the sign still being above street level and the horrible damage does not match at all.

Now wait whether is was an expat at the wheel.

Cynical but true: this pillar must have been quite solid to damage a car like this.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So again:

The accident happened in the night.

Speeding and probably fell asleep.

The driver was a 26 yr old local Thai man.

A bus was damaged slightly by the fallen sign.

And clearly: the sign was brought down by crashing of the car into the pillar.