Skinny calf ?

Cashboy

9 hours ago, jvs said:

We did this to keep cows from chasing away other cows,each has her on spot and we lock them for a few hours twice a day.

Also is good when you give them extra feed,again no problem for slower eaters.

Using the same system to give injections or for AI.

muisjes 038.JPG

Seen the same system used with dairy cows ,works well as  you say  good for slow eaters ,and no  bulling ,like the simple  wood and  bamboo .

Nice looking  Charolais   crosses, a  This is  Thailand, cut the tips of the horns  help to  prevent  bulling ,we did to one of our cows ,it dose help prevent  some  bulling.     

18 hours ago, Amsterdam said:

Hi Kickstart,

I was thinking more of going the Hydroponic route.. there are some interesting videos on Youtube. My understanding is that 1 kilo of seeds can become 5 kilo of fresh green fodder in 7 day's. If you plan to make a new batch every day you can feed your cows. I will probably start this next year when I am going to spend a lot more time in Thailand. I don't think that I would leave this process of growing fodder to the in laws. for now I will let them cut grass by hand to feed the cows 15-20 kind of lost count. 

Cheers

Amsterdam

Have a look at  TV's   "Growing  grass  for hay"  thread , a bit there about   growing  fodder, not quite  the hydroponic  root ,rice  can not be used .

One  link  from that  thread  about  DMI  (dry matter  intake ),was  enough to put me  off ,some  good video  links.

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

Have a look at  TV's   "Growing  grass  for hay"  thread , a bit there about   growing  fodder, not quite  the hydroponic  root ,rice  can not be used .

One  link  from that  thread  about  DMI  (dry matter  intake ),was  enough to put me  off ,some  good video  links.

Interesting thread. I am not sure if i understand why Rice can not be used. It mentioned that there is some broken rice that might not grow. If I grow a tray what dos it matter if let's say 10% dos not germinate.

• 2 months later...

Just to keep you updated.

Here are a couple of pictures taken a week ago of the calfs.

The brown female is one month older than the white male.

I did notice that the mother of the brown female isn't that interested in her calf compared to the mother of the white male.

In fact what surprised me is that the other cow seemed to care and groom this brown female more than its own mother did.

The vet said that this brown female calf will not be so big because it is the first calf of the cow.014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2559 at 9:02 PM, Issangeorge said:

My wife is just going into raising beef cattle. She has collected a large amount of rice straw, I was wondering if any of you guys have tried fortifying rice straw with urea, and if so how do you do it? Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Hi George

Making urea treated straw ,is not that difficult ,but can be time consuming ,I have made it  ,but I used bales ,I take it your straw is lose ,from out the back of the  combine .

The "recipe" is ,100kg of straw, 100kg of water and about 7 kg of urea, mix the urea with the water ,and spread it on top of the straw ,I used a  watering  can ,seal the  hole lot  for 21 days ,with a plastic sheet , open and feed  to the cattle ......enjoy.

As   I said I used bales ,you can stack them  ,doing it at  one course/layer  at a time ,using lose straw ,you could do with a clamp ,or something solid to stack the straw against ,ie.  a  block wall ,not easy a lot of lose bulk , and trying to get the weight  right, if you can get the straw baled all the better , for sealing the clamp we used a plastic  sheet ,from the side of a chicken  shed ,one of the large broiler sheds ,with a few old car tyres on top ,keep the weight down ,stops the sheet from flapping in the wind , I have herd  of molasses  being added   ,makes it  sweeter  and smells nice ,cattle like  that .

21 days  is about the minimum time ,have seen some dairy farms  use  3 clamps, feeding one ,one made and fermenting ,and one clamp being  prepared .

The idea of treating  straw is that the urea  pushes up the protein  of the straw ,from about 4% to about 7% , also the fermentation  process  ,helps brake down the cellulose  in the  straw ,making it  more digestible  for cattle, so they should get more  out of the straw .  

This come up on  TV  a few years ago ,I made a  comment , TV's Khonwan , and I think it was  IA, Issan  Aussie said something   about  fermenting  rice straw ,even further   back.    

9 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Just to keep you updated.

Here are a couple of pictures taken a week ago of the calfs.

The brown female is one month older than the white male.

I did notice that the mother of the brown female isn't that interested in her calf compared to the mother of the white male.

In fact what surprised me is that the other cow seemed to care and groom this brown female more than its own mother did.

The vet said that this brown female calf will not be so big because it is the first calf of the cow.014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg

Remember a lot is to do with the breeding ,that  brown Indo  Brazil  cross ,will never be fat ,all to do with the breed ,that white  calf  looks well ,a Thai  Native X Brahman ,will do ok ,a lot more adapted to the local conditions .

As for your vet  talking  BS, a first calving cows calf ,will grow like any other calf ,from a   2ed, 3ed, 4th ,calving cow  all it wants  is  feeding ,along  with the calf .

Archived