autanic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Now when I walk down Beach Road most of the hookers have their noses in their smartphones ignoring all the guys walking past.

The standards have really bottomed out for the world's most revered (or is it "oldest?") profession.   I feel your pain.  :whistling:

Edited by Fookhaht

Im guessing facebook is the main culprit, also games of course. For me personally when I have checked my email, some forum content on Tapatalk and finally one or two news sites I have no problem putting the phone down and observing the world instead of a 5 inch screen. I also think Thais have it worse than many westerners when it comes to smart phone addiction. When you talk to some one and they start playing with their phone I have to suppress an urge to slap them. This goes for both westerners and thais though.   

10 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I must be getting old because I can actually remember a time when those of us lucky enough to afford a camera used it to take pictures of other people.

Those were the days. . . 

Didn't your camera have a timer then?

4 hours ago, transam said:

I was doing an 'English' seminar last week, about forty folk, all in there twenties. A few were farting around with phones, the boss said nothing. Me on the microphone, went up to this bird fooling with her phone...

" Are you trying to phone me" ?...........It did cause a laugh......:lol:

You say English ? ............it is in their twenties not there twenties. Don't believe me , then phone a friend.

BTS - Skytrain

MRT - Underground

Cafes, Bars, Restaurants

Walking down the street

Driving car, riding scooters

Doing the shopping in the store

At the markets.

At home, at work, doing nothing particular at all

I am so sick and tired of seeing every single Thai Person, with their noses in their mobile phones.  Their eyes bulging, completely transfixed to the latest comings and goings on Facebook or Line.

The only time they take their eyes off their screens is to post yet another stupid lucking narcissistic photo of themselves doing a "selfie".

It gets right up my nose.  

From their perspective, the advantage of keeping their nose in their mobile phones is that they will not notice people like you...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Who the hell cares if someone else is on there phone. Not my problem not my buisness. Why you get so wound up about it eludes me. Keep your snouts out of others buisness.

I half agree with you for sure its not my business but it does cause problems for myself and obviously quite a number of others.

HK is acknowledged as being one of the most densely  populated cities in the world, even in the quieter parts of the day it's impossible to walk a straight line from A to B due to the crowds. But now it's 100% worse as the hordes tiptoe along like zombies creating almost total gridlock. As in every hot city, the Malls are used more for temperature comfort than for shopping, and it's impossible to navigate due to the same zombies. In fact the situation has created another hazard, that is it is not unknown for a person pretending to shuffle along engrossed in their phone hoping to be walked into which would then result in that person dropping their phone on the floor or even staging a fall down situation, then accosting the innocent who walked into them saying that that fall had broken their phone. In reality the phone was never working in the first place it was a scam.

Just a phase, a trend. You were young once, and you were doing things that prompted the oldies to say; "I can't stand all this x,y,z. When I was young....blah, blah". 

I'm not a fan, but I just let it go. As long as they are not harming anyone. It would be great if we could all get this passionate about corrupt politicians, poverty, global warming, human trafficking, child abuse, war for oil and land, the list goes on....

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

I half agree with you for sure its not my business but it does cause problems for myself and obviously quite a number of others.

HK is acknowledged as being one of the most densely  populated cities in the world, even in the quieter parts of the day it's impossible to walk a straight line from A to B due to the crowds. But now it's 100% worse as the hordes tiptoe along like zombies creating almost total gridlock. As in every hot city, the Malls are used more for temperature comfort than for shopping, and it's impossible to navigate due to the same zombies. In fact the situation has created another hazard, that is it is not unknown for a person pretending to shuffle along engrossed in their phone hoping to be walked into which would then result in that person dropping their phone on the floor or even staging a fall down situation, then accosting the innocent who walked into them saying that that fall had broken their phone. In reality the phone was never working in the first place it was a scam.

Firstly we are in thailand not HK,  so really your post is totaly irrelevant isn't it.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Chummy, I do not have any rules........But if I am at the dinner table and birds would rather talk to folk or play games on their phone....Weeeell, either their company is crap or they are buffalo-ish as to how to behave at a dinner table.... :)

Oh, and ol' Trans does not wear a Chang thingy at the dinner table, nor white socks and trainers......:giggle:

Or matey boy there so bored with the company they find better things to elevate the boredom ?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Well when the birds are engrossed with their phone stuff on sitting down l cannot think l or their men folk are the problem...Tell all, you seem to know the answers...:thumbsup:...

When myself and good lady wife go out with friends for a meal and a social the ladies invariably get together for a wee chat whilst the same applies to the men folk. If in the course of there conversation they get onto there mobiles which they usualy do so be it. I nor the other men get an oyed or wound up with this as we are having our own conversations. Surley that's what dinner with friends is all about. Not sat watching your women and getting all hot and bothered about what there doing.

If it annoys you that much don't tale her simple solution.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

So you put your ladies on one table and you and chums on another....:rolleyes:...How very Thai.........?

Really no point is there, god gave you eyes to see then you was sent to school to learn to read, seems you missed the second part. Do enjoy your next evening out with your "bird". 

A lot of the younger people (smartphone / social media addicted) complain about us older guys being "Coffin Dodgers" and not keeping up with trends, well over the years we have learnt that one way to dodge a coffin is to stay alert. This includes NOT having your head in your phone (arse) while driving, walking on streets, working, the list goes on. The current smartphone / social media addiction will and has put people in coffins.

Good luck out there.

My real hate with all this is the walkway bridge from the aircraft to the terminal (particularly after a long flight) people can't walk and look at their phone at the same time. Get out of my way you Bast..........

1 hour ago, transam said:

I think you totally miss what the topic is about....

And no, it is YOUR bird and acquaintances who get on the phone at the dinner table and YOU think it is OK...:rolleyes:

I don't have a bird matey I have a wife. Try sucking on an egg . No you turned the topic to suit your macho bird loving self.go figure eh

My Thai GF wants photos of food, her at temples, etc. etc. which all then get shared on Facebook.

I don't get annoyed, why would I? A fair proportion of the time I'm reading my Kindle or typing on my laptop.

7 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Who the hell cares if someone else is on there phone. Not my problem not my buisness. Why you get so wound up about it eludes me. Keep your snouts out of others buisness.

I am sat in a restaurant last week, I am about to tuck into a nice steak, with my good lady and realise there is no knife. Now I am not talking about a fancy steak knife here but just a knife, because trying to cut a steak with a spoon or a fork is hard work.  I ask the waitress, she said oh sorry Mr, I will get one for you.  5 mins. . .  10 mins . . .  15 bloody minutes, sorry Mr, I was on INSTAGRAM, heres your spoon. Love, I said, I need a knife, now I have 2 spoons and a fork.  So off she pops again, finally nose in her phone she gives me a knife.

Taxi driver to the airport, texting his next job with his mate, instead of eyes on the road.

Some clown walked into me, stupid son of a -------- , hey I said, hey what he replied.

This might be going on in OZ or Israel or UK, but the fact is I am not there I am here and I am saying it is affecting me and my business here.

I couldnt give a rats backside, what there doing as long as it does not affect me. 

I do remember coming to Thailand and flirting with the Waitresses and having a joke with the Waiters and staff everywhere. I would tip handsomely too.

A lot of the youngster, just do not even notice me or care, so I think I am duly entitled to vent.  I am not particularly Thaibashing, I have no problem with a single Thai person, nice people.  Just what there doing is so annoying. Leave the phone in your jacket, read it on your own time.  

Want to check the weather, fine. But can you give me 100% attention.

Want to chat on LINE hey no problem, but would you mind not blocking the door as I am trying to get off at Surasak. Excuse me, kapp kapp.  The I am in a bad mood because of your browsing habits.

Thailand is probably worse than the UK, because it has a much better 4G service, making these apps work better and faster.

4 minutes ago, autanic said:

I am sat in a restaurant last week, I am about to tuck into a nice steak, with my good lady and realise there is no knife. Now I am not talking about a fancy steak knife here but just a knife, because trying to cut a steak with a spoon or a fork is hard work.  I ask the waitress, she said oh sorry Mr, I will get one for you.  5 mins. . .  10 mins . . .  15 bloody minutes, sorry Mr, I was on INSTAGRAM, heres your spoon. Love, I said, I need a knife, now I have 2 spoons and a fork.  So off she pops again, finally nose in her phone she gives me a knife.

Taxi driver to the airport, texting his next job with his mate, instead of eyes on the road.

Some clown walked into me, stupid son of a -------- , hey I said, hey what he replied.

This might be going on in OZ or Israel or UK, but the fact is I am not there I am here and I am saying it is affecting me and my business here.

I couldnt give a rats backside, what there doing as long as it does not affect me. 

I do remember coming to Thailand and flirting with the Waitresses and having a joke with the Waiters and staff everywhere. I would tip handsomely too.

A lot of the youngster, just do not even notice me or care, so I think I am duly entitled to vent.  I am not particularly Thaibashing, I have no problem with a single Thai person, nice people.  Just what there doing is so annoying. Leave the phone in your jacket, read it on your own time.  

Want to chat on LINE hey no problem, but would you mind not blocking the door as I am trying to get off at Surasak. Excuse me, kapp kapp.  The I am in a bad mood because of your browsing habits.

Thailand is probably worse than the UK, because it has a much better 4G service, making these apps work better and faster.

I've lived in Thailand for a long time and have solved the knife problem.   I carry the below ceramic knife in my pocket when I go out to dine.  I also get the email address of the president of any company who gives me less than adequate service and I email him and copy all the executives I can locate.  

cermic knife.jpg

18 minutes ago, autanic said:

You go into great detail over a knife I would have asked once when she returned with a spoon I would have asked for the manager that's your right. However I have to say I have used many restaurants here in Thailand and hand on heart have never seen or been served by any waiter/waitress who is using a mobile phone. You also say it's affecting your buisness how exactly???. If you are saying people who work for you are on there mobiles whilst working. It's your (well your wife's or thai partners buisness) you are entitled to ban phones in the workplace whilst your staff are working. As for being walked into happens all the time Wether there on there mobiles or not. Ps UK has an exellent nationwide 4G service.

On 30/08/2016 at 7:55 PM, TacoGuy said:

Not that bothered with the noses in phones, but the constant selfies and foodie photos get tiresome.  But everyone is at it, not just the Thais.

Presumably you mean on Facebook. So why do you bother looking at them, you don't have to?