Facts about METV visa

Regardless of what Thai ran embassies say on net about needing $7000 in the bank, the Thai consulate in Portland Oregon only wants to see $700, also no need for job info. I know,I just got mine 2 weeks ago. I think it's best to go to consulates ran by westerners.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elgenon said:

No METVs in Portland!!!

That's what I thought, too.  There's another thread here on TV suggesting that METVs in the states can only be obtained from the regular consulates and no longer from the honorary consulates.  At all.  Portland was specifically mentioned.

was supposed to be the visa solution for those of us who want to winter over in thailand each year. great idea thailand, we love to come spend our money in a nice climate. but no it has turned out like a lot of things to be so complicated it is just a joke. why, why why wont they sort this out to help tourists and their own tourism industry?

• Like 1

Had to check their website just to see it with my own eyes and I'm sorry to hear that the METV is not available in Portland. I have used the LA embassy more than once and I actually was physically in the building and it reminded me tremendously of our DMV, (Dept of Motor Vehicles) here in the US of A which is about as dreadful and bureaucratic a place one could find here.

I guess one should expect that in a big city with the volume they do and probably not alot different than a Thai immigration office experience in BKK, they are both after all  ,"The city of Angels".

Portland Embassy is so easy to use and will return emails and even phone calls if you reached out to them providing a sense of customer service which I like.

Oh well,....

So, in summary, are you guys saying that our newly signed up member is a troll? Sounds like it and given it is his/her first post (at least under the ID used in this thread) I wouldn´t be surprised at all....

4 minutes ago, DUS said:

So, in summary, are you guys saying that our newly signed up member is a troll? Sounds like it and given it is his/her first post (at least under the ID used in this thread) I wouldn´t be surprised at all....

OP's post seems screwy. I've gotten many triple-entry tourist visas from Portland, OR Thai consulate over the past 15 years and there has never been any requirement to show proof of money. Not $7,000 ... not $700 ... not any money at all.

2 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

OP's post seems screwy. I've gotten many triple-entry tourist visas from Portland, OR Thai consulate over the past 15 years and there has never been any requirement to show proof of money. Not $7,000 ... not $700 ... not any money at all.

The double and triple entries have been defunct world-wide since the METV was launched last year.  Never mind the non-updated consulate-websites which still list them.  In contrast to the Doubles/Triples, METV is designed to be difficult to obtain in one's home country, and is not available, at all, at nearby consulates (unless you are a citizen or perm-resident of that country). 

Initially, one could obtain the METV from honorary consulates, but some were issuing to them to people who merely showed they had $7K (6-mo in the bank) plus flight tickets and a place to stay in Thailand.  This "leniency" defeated the actual purpose of the METV, which was to appear to offer an alternative to the double/triple but, in reality, offer something useless to most potential tourists.  After all, what would happen if under-50s spent their money here long-term - a disaster for sure!

42 minutes ago, DUS said:

No he probably got his visa before the 15th of this month when the new rules started or were enforced. He  did write he got it two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No he probably got his visa before the 15th of this month when the new rules started or were enforced. He  did write he got it two weeks ago.

According to the consulate in Denver Colorado the Thai government just recently (the 15th perhaps)  sent out a 30 page document (which I saw with my own eyes) stating honorary consulates can not issue METV. People with trips planned months in advance are now scrambling to figure out the visa for their trips according to the staff there.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Initially, one could obtain the METV from honorary consulates, but some were issuing to them to people who merely showed they had $7K (6-mo in the bank) plus flight tickets and a place to stay in Thailand.  This "leniency" defeated the actual purpose of the METV, which was to appear to offer an alternative to the double/triple but, in reality, offer something useless to most potential tourists.  After all, what would happen if under-50s spent their money here long-term - a disaster for sure!

What is the purpose of visa then if not to be a stricter multiple entry tourist visa? I bet the consulates were not following all the requirements and got caught.

It appears that the METV  is now of very little use to anyone if one has to go by the requirements- money in the bank and the job verification.  The honorary consulates were much more leniant- one could show a monthly income stream sufficient to prove finances and the job verification was waived.  If one is employed- I now of no company that allows its employees 6 months off.  Therefore- if the printed requirements are held to- the visa is worthless and nearly impossible to obtain.

The Website of the Houston and Denver consulate still showing that a multiple Non O is still available but one has to go there in person. Thailand just does not want long term tourists. It is forcing these people to purchase an elite  membership at an inflated price or move to another country. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, genericptr said:

According to the consulate in Denver Colorado the Thai government just recently (the 15th perhaps)  sent out a 30 page document (which I saw with my own eyes) stating honorary consulates can not issue METV. People with trips planned months in advance are now scrambling to figure out the visa for their trips according to the staff there.

From the topic a link to was posted earlier.

From Portland consulate website.

EFFECTIVE AUGUST 15, 2016, WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ISSUE MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST OR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR SINGLE ENTRY TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT O, B OR ED VISAS ONLY.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR MULTIPLE ENTRY VISAS AT THE LOS ANGELES CONSULATE OR THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY IN WASHINGTON, DC.

15 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It appears that the METV  is now of very little use to anyone if one has to go by the requirements- money in the bank and the job verification.  The honorary consulates were much more leniant- one could show a monthly income stream sufficient to prove finances and the job verification was waived.  If one is employed- I now of no company that allows its employees 6 months off.  Therefore- if the printed requirements are held to- the visa is worthless and nearly impossible to obtain.

The Website of the Houston and Denver consulate still showing that a multiple Non O is still available but one has to go there in person. Thailand just does not want long term tourists. It is forcing these people to purchase an elite  membership at an inflated price or move to another country. 

I suspect self employment is off the table? I wasn't able to talk with Los Angeles yet about that but I imagine they want verification from a non-Thai company which you are not the owner. I have a LLC registered in Colorado since 2008 but I would expect rejection if I submitted that.

7 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I suspect self employment is off the table? I wasn't able to talk with Los Angeles yet about that but I imagine they want verification from a non-Thai company which you are not the owner. I have a LLC registered in Colorado since 2008 but I would expect rejection if I submitted that.

The LA website only mentions employment but I think the will accept a company registration since that is shown on the embassy website.

8. An employment verification ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.

Source: http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Thanks to Ubon Joe for clarifying that multiple Non O's also cannot be processed by the Honorary Consulates in the Us..   It appears the only place to still get a  Multiple Non O- is  either Savannakhet or Penang unless ne goes back to their home country and uses the official consulates or embassies..  In my opinion, the METV has become mostly useless and will hardly ever be requested or given. The requirements are way too stringent. It's simply a tourist visa- you still have to leave after 60 days or get the added 30 day extension by visiting Immigration.   This is further proof that Thailand is closing the door to under 50 people or forcing them into the purchase of the Elite membership which is costly. Now with Cambodia offering a 3 year visia at a reasonable price plus easily obtained work permits- I would expect many will relocate or give Thailand a pass. And that seems to be exactly what the Thai Government wants.

They seem to think they can fill the void with Chinese tourists but I frankly do not see this as a viable long term option because the Chinese spending pattern is much different than Western tourists who come in and stay longer term. 

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Of course Thailand does not want long term "tourists." Who does really, besides Cambodia? They have realized that many serial Tourist Visa users are not desirable individuals, so they will be putting income restraints in place to control the problem.

Before long, they'll be wanting copies of bank accounts of legitimate tourists so that they can officially verify the documents.

The Elite visa seems reasonable for what you get, legally.

I had to phone one of the Thai consulates in Germany this afternoon and used this to ask them if they still issue the METV and if there had been any recent changes to the requirements. They replied that there have been no changes re the METV, only, as mentioned above, to the Non O ME.  

Edited by DUS

2 hours ago, LPCustom69 said:

Of course Thailand does not want long term "tourists." Who does really, besides Cambodia?

The vast majority of other countries on Earth.  I've been to many - no problem - just run in and out once or twice a year.  In the area, include Vietnam, the Philippines and India to the list - plus Malaysia, if you "invest" some funds (not "spend" it, like a drunken-sailor or someone so rich it doesn't matter).

They have realized that many serial Tourist Visa users are not desirable individuals, so they will be putting income restraints in place to control the problem.

Before long, they'll be wanting copies of bank accounts of legitimate tourists so that they can officially verify the documents.

"Not desirable" how, exactly?  Please elaborate on the harm we do, and please be specific.  I would welcome income-requests.  In fact, I keep exactly those documents when I travel in and out for new Tourist Visas.  Income restraints are not the issue for most of us who would like the METV.  The issues are requiring we "ship our body" to the other side of the planet to obtain it, and/or prove we "have a job" while we will be on vacation / retired.

The Elite visa seems reasonable for what you get, legally.

Yes, the "legal" systems of taking people's hard-earned money are often the most harmful to middle-income people (the rest of us) - low-level corruption pales in comparison to the damage done.  No other countries where I have lived long-term ever tried to extract a huge sum of cash to obtain permission to spend my foreign source income there - this is unique to the "Elite" program. 

The longer a "long term tourist" stays, the better chance they will put down roots and retire, spending decades of foreign pension income and savings, which really adds up.  I hope a few people making a buck on the Elite is not deemed more important than the Thai folks who depend on those long-term tourists' foreign-sourced incomes to survive.

Just a heads up, Sydney Thai consulate still can issue the metv, only need your passport, 1 photo,  proof of address and the visa form, 

They don't need any proof of funds,

Edited by kmw
  • Like 1

I have applied my mail for a METV visa through the New York consulate General, I sent my application along with all the requirements have not received my passport and visa yet my flight's next week.  Does anyone know if New York still does the METV?

5 hours ago, genericptr said:

I just heard about this elite membership and it sounds like a 5 year visa for 500k? That's the most realistic option I've seen actually if it's that cut and dry.

It really is as easy as that as long as you have no history of problems which ordinarily would stop you getting a visa.

9 hours ago, genericptr said:

I just heard about this elite membership and it sounds like a 5 year visa for 500k? That's the most realistic option I've seen actually if it's that cut and dry.

Topic here posted by Thai Elite. Has links to the various memberships now available