Trading in all of my change for paper currency?

SamDean

I looked to see if this has been asked before and couldn't find anything.

I am about to leave Thailand, and have accumulated quite a bit of spare change. With the exception of making the people at 7-11 or some other unsuspecting business hate my guts, I am not aware of a way to trade it in for bills. 

Thoughts? It's a full 4 liter bucket of mostly 5 and 1 baht coins.

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually 7/11 and such shops are normally happy to receive such donations.  Count out into small plastic bags believe is the normal procedure.

Agreed, my Mrs goes off to the 7-11 once every year or so to get rid of all those little fiddly coins and says they are happy to accept them. Better deal than the coin counting machines in the UK that take a substantial commission and will only issue a voucher for the supermarket.

Edited by jacko45k

I get small plastic bags (like from the food stalls) and count the coins into 500 x 1 baht, or so. I then tie them and take them to the bank. They are generally happy to exchange them for notes, but I have been refused when they're busy. Fair enough, I suppose. I  haven't tried 7-11, but I guess if they're not busy then they'd be happy to take them. 

When my piggy bank is full, I bring it to the 7/11 where I always buy my stuff. They take it and check it later when they have time. On my next visit, they credit my 7/11 card.

I never checked how many coins there are in the pot but I am every time surprised that it's so much money. I am sure they don't cheat me!

39 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I get small plastic bags (like from the food stalls) and count the coins into 500 x 1 baht, or so. I then tie them and take them to the bank. They are generally happy to exchange them for notes, but I have been refused when they're busy. Fair enough, I suppose. I  haven't tried 7-11, but I guess if they're not busy then they'd be happy to take them. 

I count mine out in plastic bags and take them to my local fresh market.  The vendors are usually happy to have the change in exchange for paper.

Bag it up ; with small bags of 100 coins in each bag. I got my maid to do this;  2 weeks ago. She went to local Big C store.

Total amount was 4200 baht.  I do once a year; for the past 8 years.

You may need to going to more then one cashier.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually 7/11 and such shops are normally happy to receive such donations.  Count out into small plastic bags believe is the normal procedure.

That is what I do and I usually take them to my local gas station and mini shop. Sometimes they will open a bag or two and sometimes not.

1 bag equal 10 x 10 baht or 20 by 5 baht or 50 by 1 baht.

Good for them and good for me.

Only the 7/11 or the post office will take 25 or 50 satang coins.

Edited by billd766
added a line of text

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Cash, love and smiles are all interchangeable around here.

I'm thinking, the histrionics involved in offsetting cash with 'love and smiles' at the neighborhood food stall/watering hole would be well worth the price of admission to observe, for the rest of us. Wai high, my brother, and best of luck.

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Leave it out in plain sight where your maid will see it. Fire her when she takes it. You are leaving soon anyway problem solved.

The lady I pay to clean my apartment, wash and iron clothes, never takes my coins.  I leave them scattered on a table top.  

She cuts the top off a plastic water bottle and puts them into the bottle.  When the first bottle is full, she does it with another.  

I have found 20 B. to 1000 B. bills in the bottles too.  She claims she finds the money in a pants or shirt pocket that she checks before she puts them into the clothes washer.  

Just now, radiochaser said:

The lady I pay to clean my apartment, wash and iron clothes, never takes my coins.  I leave them scattered on a table top.  

She cuts the top off a plastic water bottle and puts them into the bottle.  When the first bottle is full, she does it with another.  

I have found 20 B. to 1000 B. bills in the bottles too.  She claims she finds the money in a pants or shirt pocket that she checks before she puts them into the clothes washer.  

It was a joke based on a monotonous thread that went on for page after page about a maid stealing small amounts of money.

30 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

It was a joke based on a monotonous thread that went on for page after page about a maid stealing small amounts of money.

Oh, I see.  I was being obtuse, I did not realize it was a joke (or sarcasm).

I don't remember reading that particular thread.  I may have understood if I had. 

Edited by radiochaser

24 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Oh, I see.  I was being obtuse, I did not realize it was a joke (or sarcasm).

I don't remember reading that particular thread.  I may have understood if I had. 

In that case here it is just for you. You can thank me later...

How can you get so much coin change here, the smallest note is 20 baht for goodness sake. Ok in the UK i can understand, smallest note 250 baht, smallest coin half a baht. So easy to lighten your pockets when you go to 7/ 11 for water, shampoo, take away meal etc.