MahaNakhon - Thailand's tallest building could be illegal

webfact

On 9/1/2016 at 0:54 PM, CanInBKK said:

I guess you and I are the only ones on this thread (and maybe all of TV) that believe in playing by the rules. 

(If you disagree with the rules, change them, don't break them. I'm sure the reason why this law stands to this day is that very few foreign architects have gathered to protest it at Sanam Luang)

As the man once said "rules are for the guidence of wise men and the obedience of fools!"  How do people who are denied any sort of say in a country "change the rules"? Pretenious Moi? :D:wai:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/1/2016 at 11:35 AM, dageurreotype said:

This is all such bs a British architect built my house and several well known resorts here. Much ado about sweet sod all other than to show the Thais in an increasingly xenophobic light which helps neither them nor their wished for investors. Grow the <deleted> up ..

Khun Srisuwan, reading the Thai original news article, is neither 'Farang Bashing', nor 'xenophobic. 

A poor translation from Thai to English is the reason for the confusion.

The architect is actually German not British.

His concern stems from two different Thai Constitutional laws which precludes foreigners from working in certain 'COMMERCIAL HIGHRISE PROJECTS', and the non-Thai personal liability constraints.

It has been a Thai Constitutional law dating back many many constitutions, that a Thai Citizen MUST be the head architect on all projects that fall outside the normal domestic dwellings and small commercial projects classification.

Right from the start, MahaNakhon has allegedly fallen outside the classifications that allow a foreign Architect to be at the helm. This is purely about public liability accountability if something goes wrong or collapses. For foreigners, public liability is technically capped and restricted, whereas public liability of a Thai National in Thailand is technically unlimited (as long as you can prove evidence to substantiate your claim of financial loss)

The second issue speaks to an alleged corruption issue, whereby the Architect has allegedly used a false Thai name at the time of plans submission for approval. If he had used his foreign name on the plans, the plans would not have passed the scrutiny of the process committee.

From the original article, there is no real feeling that it is a Thai versus Farang issue for him - just 2 different Constitution based questions that are very legitimate, and well within his rights as a Thai Citizen to question.

Try to keep it in the context of what the original article was trying to do - expose corruption - nothing about Bad Farang. My personal opinion is that he should be applauded for having coconuts big enough to stand up and be vocal about it.

While I am not defending either his actions or his views, the original English translation was seemingly designed to produce polar opposite comments and fuel the  'Farang Bashing', nor 'xenophobic' fires - simply because it is a trending topic here on TV.

Also, I suspect, it has been very fruitful click bait!!

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:04 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Hold on a cotton picking minute Jesus double double standards going on here. Can it be that the great and powerful (in your own minds) on here are now saying it's ok for a falang to work without the correct work permit in an ocupation which is for Thai only. Are these the same people who get all hot and bothered when a falang sells food or works without the correct visa. Dear dear me you have all been weighed and found very much wanting.

Do I detect a fellow southern gentleman?!

1 hour ago, Telecom66 said:

Khun Srisuwan, reading the Thai original news article, is neither 'Farang Bashing', nor 'xenophobic. 

A poor translation from Thai to English is the reason for the confusion.

The architect is actually German not British.

His concern stems from two different Thai Constitutional laws which precludes foreigners from working in certain 'COMMERCIAL HIGHRISE PROJECTS', and the non-Thai personal liability constraints.

It has been a Thai Constitutional law dating back many many constitutions, that a Thai Citizen MUST be the head architect on all projects that fall outside the normal domestic dwellings and small commercial projects classification.

Right from the start, MahaNakhon has allegedly fallen outside the classifications that allow a foreign Architect to be at the helm. This is purely about public liability accountability if something goes wrong or collapses. For foreigners, public liability is technically capped and restricted, whereas public liability of a Thai National in Thailand is technically unlimited (as long as you can prove evidence to substantiate your claim of financial loss)

The second issue speaks to an alleged corruption issue, whereby the Architect has allegedly used a false Thai name at the time of plans submission for approval. If he had used his foreign name on the plans, the plans would not have passed the scrutiny of the process committee.

From the original article, there is no real feeling that it is a Thai versus Farang issue for him - just 2 different Constitution based questions that are very legitimate, and well within his rights as a Thai Citizen to question.

Try to keep it in the context of what the original article was trying to do - expose corruption - nothing about Bad Farang. My personal opinion is that he should be applauded for having coconuts big enough to stand up and be vocal about it.

While I am not defending either his actions or his views, the original English translation was seemingly designed to produce polar opposite comments and fuel the  'Farang Bashing', nor 'xenophobic' fires - simply because it is a trending topic here on TV.

Also, I suspect, it has been very fruitful click bait!!

so anybody could do it as long as they say a Thai was in charge?

• 2 weeks later...

Good timing :clap2::cheesy:

Thai architect points out that proposed Chao Phraya museum building design is a shameful copy

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/14/thai-architect-points-out-proposed-chao-phraya-museum-building-design-shameful-copy

Star architect Duangrit Bunnag speaks candidly about ‘copycat’ building

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/14/coconuts-exclusive-star-architect-duangrit-bunnag-speaks-candidly-about-copycat-building