Civil society groups protest against “Smashed” programme in front of British embassy

webfact

Never mind 2-5. Cannot buy booze for a party in quantity before 11am.

Makro, Big C  Tesco are all forbidden to sell alcohol before 11am. So now my early morning shopping is no longer. Have to go when the hordes go, big queues. Totally ridiculous!

The village kids who are drunk all day can buy quite freely all day in the village shops. Its the sensible drinkers who are inconvenienced.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Geez, you want them to drink less just outlaw alcohol sales near the schools and perhaps stop selling alcohol anywhere except between the hours of 11Am - 2PM and again in the evening from 5pm TO maybe 2AM.

That should work well......................:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Wait...

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

Have you not heard of freedom of speech well this is freedom of drink. I can still remember being 16 and splitting a bottle of cheap wine with my buddy (cost .75 cents a small fortune back then) and heading off to the local Catholic church weekly dance. When I was buzzed I could really click my heels. Protesters today are always looking for a cause to flog. Getting a good 9 to 5 job to keep your mind occupied is getting blase. 

I only read the 1st page of comments so far, but did people read the article. This is the reason for the protest: "But Kamron alleged that the campaign was, in fact, intended to brainwash Thai youths to believe that consuming alcoholic drinks is normal in which case the real beneficiary will be the liquor producer and those in liquor business."

So, I guess abstinence and forms of celibacy are the only forms of education that would satisfy these people.

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

I remember the local recovered alcoholic coming to our school to warn us of the dangers of drugs. 

All I heard was the part about going to the parties, getting so drunk he couldn't walk. Driving around with all his mates, listening to loud music whilst drunk. Getting arrested for falling down drunk in public. 

I thought " wow, I want to do that, what fun " and I did do it. And I did have fun lol.

How's your Liver doing ? And do you have any brain cell left ?

7 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

Is it me or do Thai's just love going too foreign embassy's to protest for just about anything,,,,  

Right that's it, white devil white devil, my ice-creame is to cold, who invented ice-cream and where is their embassy?

Yo people the world is not against you,  there's no evil plot...  get a _____  life.  You have a problem with youth drinking,  go and protest them.

Just a handy way to pass time in the queue for a visa.

I'm no prude and certainly had a whale of a time partying with my friends, though not in school time I admit. I was quite shocked to see  a bunch of school kids, definitely under 16, getting on the bus after school each with their nice cool Chang. These same kids hang  out evenings with their friends, drinking smoking and blasting loud music on the beaches till late. I don't think they have a decent future to look forward to if the government and parents turn a blind eye. 

We seem to be missing the point here. What has Thai youth alcohol abuse got to do with the British Embassy?

That very expensive property in Wireless Road is there to look after British interests in Thailand, British citizens living here, and British tourists who need any kind of help. It singularly fails to do so, particularly when held in comparison with other country's embassies. It is, in fact, nothing more than a money generating branch of the British government.

Presumably, before distributing this propaganda, it sought the agreement of some Thai government department. If not, it was overreaching its authority; if it did, ask yourself why it should channel its energies in such a direction whilst ignoring the needs of bona fide British citizens. Layla Slatter, the Consul, runs a self serving organization which is, frankly disgraceful. She claims Thailand has Honorary Consuls in Chiang Mai and Phuket. She does not; these very good people have no power whatsoever and are nothing more than social (charity) workers.

Time for a change. 

9 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Wait...

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

Somehow, Thais manage to get most things 'arse about face'..........Interpret things wrongly!

Edited by SunsetT
Clarity

"About 40 members of a network of anti-liquor organizations staged a brief rally in front of the British embassy on Thursday to protest against a joint effort by the embassy and a major liquor importer to stage activities to create positive attitude toward alcoholic drinks among Thai youths,  to encourage youths to stay away from alcoholic drinks."

So what's the problem? Does it really matter who is promoting this campaign?  Or is it a problem because foreigners are involved and have organized a sensible campaign?

10 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Why is the British Embassy getting involved in a Thai domestic program? Seems they're out of their realm of influence. 

British Embassy, Office of the Basic Education, British Council and TFRD launched the Smashed Project

There's plenty more for the usual culprits if this runs out :)

cdb07fe52edfc220cecf3f84017ef78e_XL.jpg

Edited by evadgib
Correcting the inbalance

22 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think possibly you didn't listen attentively enough, there had to be consequences for his behaviour or else he wouldn't be telling his story at your school.....he would be down in the pub having a whale of a time.

That was my point. 

Children can't hear the bad points at the end of the talk. 

They only hear the good bits. 

Ask parents. 

Yes you do. You have just used a double negative.

Btw if it was not designed or invented by Thais- it can't be real and does not work here.

I think you will find that the poster was quoting a line from "Another brick in the wall" which is a Pink Floyd song,the next line being "We don't need no thought control"

Maybe they are right, a booze manufacturer giving alcohol training sounds a lot like a version of "Little Red Riding Hood" and citing their own after course evaluation questions doesn't give much legitimacy to the story either.

I do agree that Thailand needs a lot of education on substance abuse, but it's not the job of the substance sellers. Next step is the ICE dealer starting awareness sessions....

13 hours ago, Celer et Audax said:

I think you will find that the poster was quoting a line from "Another brick in the wall" which is a Pink Floyd song,the next line being "We don't need no thought control"

ehhh..... "zorro the gay blade .  ,,,"we don't need no stinking badges "....

4 minutes ago, mikiea said:

ehhh..... "zorro the gay blade .  ,,,"we don't need no stinking badges "....

No, It was indeed from 'Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd'. You are confusing it with Blazing saddles, "We don't need no steenking badges". But included in other variations in many movies since.