The Windows 10 Devolution..................

lostinisaan

I've got my home PC finally upgraded, but will really watch and check all programs and go back to 1511 if anything disgusting turns up.

Please see: 

Why Windows 10 Sucks or
Everything Wrong with Microsoft Windows

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I knew through weird problems that there's a lot wrong, but wasn't thinking that so many things are completely out of order, destroyed webcams and so on.

Should I tape my webcam too? Mark Zuckerberg and many others do it, but why?  

Here's a scary chapter and this article is written by a guy who worked at MS: 

• Windows OS installer doesn't give a damn about other OSes installed on your PC and it always overwrites the MBR. In case of already existing Windows installations, it sets the newly installed Windows as the default OS - no questions asked. In case of UEFI booting of other non Windows OSes is unsupported and Windows actively prevents this.

windows_devolution.jpg

the windows 10 upgrade has all but ruined two of my previously excellent computers. one is so slow it needs to be replaced the other is becomingly increasingly sluggish.

i have a feeling the intention all along was to ruin people's computers meaning they had to buy new ones. it's certainly working.

24 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the windows 10 upgrade has all but ruined two of my previously excellent computers. one is so slow it needs to be replaced the other is becomingly increasingly sluggish.

i have a feeling the intention all along was to ruin people's computers meaning they had to buy new ones. it's certainly working.

Please read the guy's words, a reinstall might fix it. But only maybe. Nothing is sure, because they don't give a damn. 

New crap has to be build within a short period of time and will be installed on our machines, if it works, or not.  

You can't have your privacy and I'm sure that data will be sold to various well known companies. <deleted>?

If people have to buy new computers, what system's on it? Windows 10/.....:w00t:

And that's really over the top:  Windows 10 will forever be beta software:

• A new model of development with no Windows 11 in sight.
  • Two Control Panels (read below).
  • Microsoft hides the information about Windows 10 updates, so oftentimes you won't even know what certain updates are aimed to fix or improve. Also Windows 10 updates may have unintended consequences and unannounced changes in behaviour (it's already been confirmed).
  • Microsoft sometimes pushes half-baked updates which kill end-users' PCs or cause a lot of damage (this is a wonderful read). Make sure you also read an article about the clusterfuck called Anniversary Update - there are numerous reports that the installer kills all the partitions which Windows doesn't know about (Linux users beware).
  • Windows 10 anniversary update broke millions of web cameras.

Maybe an update killed your one machine? Only Buddha knows, for sure not MS.

I bought a new laptop with 10 pre-installed a few months ago.  None of the update problems others are having.  Yet?

Windows overwriting the MBR and zapping entries for other OS's has pretty much been the norm since the 1990s; MS's attitude has always been "other OS's?  Is there such a thing?"  There are tools for finding installed OS's and creating new MBR entries after Windows overwrites, I've only needed them to find Linux myself, and they work, but can't speak of any other OS.

But it looks like MBR is being displaced, time to learn about UEFI.

Anyone remember OS2?  It had a great boot selector.  I think when MS took its "non-multiboot" stance OS2 was the nemisis, as PC-based Unix was still in the "funny duck" stage at the time.

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

Just reinstall your old OS. Windows 10 doesn't break anything.

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

I've upgraded several dozen PCs to Win10 (including my own) and without exception all of them have worked better as a result. So I think there must be something wrong with your installation.

In case of difficulty I would advise doing a clean install rather than an upgrade, and the instructions for this are widely available.

As mentioned, if you really dont like Win10 then you can always go back to a previous version as long as you have your installation key.

I've upgraded about 5-6 PCs with Win10 so far, only one really gave me a problem, and I eventually worked out it was because Windows assigned my big slow HDD for the swap file, instead of the speedy SSD main drive... So it would slow to a crawl once I had too many things open. Once I fixed this, the computer in question has been speedy and reliable.

55 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've upgraded several dozen PCs to Win10 (including my own) and without exception all of them have worked better as a result. So I think there must be something wrong with your installation.

In case of difficulty I would advise doing a clean install rather than an upgrade, and the instructions for this are widely available.

As mentioned, if you really dont like Win10 then you can always go back to a previous version as long as you have your installation key.

But I would recommend making sure you have at least a driver for your network adapter(s) in case Windows 10 can't detect them.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

It's  not true that you "just go back" to your previous version, which I had to learn the hard way. What was left was a machine that tried to boot, but stopped while booting.

Regarding your last sentence, you do not have to type/copy-paste the key when you're going back. Just skip it and you'll have your old key activated. 

It's better to have it backed up and the right emergency boot- able medium. 

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

Why don't you just do a " Reset of this PC"? It will do a completely new set up, you can keep files if you want to. Settings- updates & security, then recovery and you'll see the reset option. 

After my 1607 upgrade last night which happened why I watched a movie on my notebook, I have to admit that they must have fixed the bugs they'd given me when I tried that a few weeks ago.

Please give it a try and report back. You do not have to insert a license key !! Just start over again and receive much better updates.

another w10 post.

what makes all you guys hang in there? fiddle, download, install, re - install, re - boot, post for a solution, download again,  discard...

have you not got better things to do with your lifes than wasting them on being the guinea pigs for ms?

my laptop (and you know what my os is) has updated approx. 50 times since february this year, not once did i have to re -boot(!!!), it works all the time and within seconds of me opening the lid.

lostinissan & chicog, how many hours of your life have you sacrificed to deal with the w10 crap ms has forced upon you?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Isn't the 1607 with all the updates  almost similar to a clean install? 

57 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

another w10 post.

what makes all you guys hang in there? fiddle, download, install, re - install, re - boot, post for a solution, download again,  discard...

have you not got better things to do with your lifes than wasting them on being the guinea pigs for ms?

my laptop (and you know what my os is) has updated approx. 50 times since february this year, not once did i have to re -boot(!!!), it works all the time and within seconds of me opening the lid.

lostinissan & chicog, how many hours of your life have you sacrificed to deal with the w10 crap ms has forced upon you?

In my case, none.

It's worked flawlessly for me on every PC.

Apart from the one that I use for the Insider Preview, but then again that's the whole point of being a beta tester.

I have Windows 10 Pro and just allow it to do its own thing. I really can't see any huge improvement from Windows 7 pro. The learning curve was minor. I have no complaints. I'd guess that those who are having problems have fiddled with things the don't understand. Updates have been flawless and few changes were noticed. It is as fast and probably faster than Windows 7. I too have it on three computers. One of them is an ancient HP mini. Even that low powdered old machine runs Windows 10, slowly but with no problem. I doubt that I would have paid for the program but its hard to beat free. I have downloaded several free apps but have purchased none.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

In my case, none.

It's worked flawlessly for me on every PC.

Apart from the one that I use for the Insider Preview, but then again that's the whole point of being a beta tester.

do you get paid for being a beta tester or do you just volunteer?

working 'flawlessly' does not really contradict my post.

w10 might be a really, really good os, but most of this planets population really, really don't need it. or don't have the time to put up with it.

3 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Why don't you just do a " Reset of this PC"? It will do a completely new set up, you can keep files if you want to. Settings- updates & security, then recovery and you'll see the reset option. 

After my 1607 upgrade last night which happened why I watched a movie on my notebook, I have to admit that they must have fixed the bugs they'd given me when I tried that a few weeks ago.

Please give it a try and report back. You do not have to insert a license key !! Just start over again and receive much better updates.

A point to remember for all those that installed the anniversary update, you only have a 10 day window to do the roll-back and not the 30 day option that was given with the W10 upgrade.

Don't get caught out like i did, I needed to run Acronis for an image install to go back. .........................;)

Win 10 works just fine on my two Lenovo laptops....one laptop around 3 years old...other one around 1 year old.  

On the 3 year laptop it went the upgrade route from Win 8.1 to Win 10...and on the 1 year old  laptop Win 10 was its initial install.  

And both went through the November Upgrade (-1506) and the Anniversary Upgrade (-1607) just fine.

I always made sure the latest drivers were installed from the Lenovo support website for my laptop models.

2 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

do you get paid for being a beta tester or do you just volunteer?

working 'flawlessly' does not really contradict my post.

w10 might be a really, really good os, but most of this planets population really, really don't need it. or don't have the time to put up with it.

I really don't give a toss what the "most of this planets population" need or don't need as far as computers go.

Why is it any of your concern?

10 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

It's  not true that you "just go back" to your previous version, which I had to learn the hard way. What was left was a machine that tried to boot, but stopped while booting.

Regarding your last sentence, you do not have to type/copy-paste the key when you're going back. Just skip it and you'll have your old key activated.

If you have your original key then you can do anything as the media is available to download online.

It's true that the MS servers are now supposed to know the keys and to activate old versions accordingly, but I prefer to know my key just in case. Belt and braces.

7 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Isn't the 1607 with all the updates  almost similar to a clean install? 

Not at all. It retains all your programmes (good and bad) and also retains any drivers you have installed. A clean install deletes everything and installs Windows with no extras at all, and from there you would need to reinstall and configure all your programmes (from the original installation media which you will, of course, have stored carefully) and your data which you will also have backed up previously.

This is why in case of a clean install you should also equip yourself with at least the network card driver and preferably the manufacturer's recommended chipset driver before starting. This is easily done with a USB flash drive via the manufacturer's website.

3 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

because, unlike you, i do have a soft spot for my fellow human beings. it is called 'caring'.

google it if you don't know what that means, curly.

Sorry, mate. I guess the message doesn't come through some posts you've read from Mrs. Chicog, mine and a couple others.

I'm sure that nobody wants to spend his/her time behind a damn screen and continuously fix problems, without having a clue what to do.

The site is brilliant for people who ran into a problem and you'll find some helpful guys who "walk you through" a serious problem, should your computer skills be not that great.

I've tested all sorts of programs in the last couple of years and really believe that I do now understand a little bit about Windows 10 Pro, set ups, updates, troubleshooting, how to do good back ups, the best possible ways to find a soft, or a hardware problem, plus a quite huge knowledge about software programs that aren't worth to write about but a lot of people pay good money for them. 

I'm neither a hacker, nor a cheap Charley who wants to have the best programs for free. It all came through my job, working at Thai schools. If you're not familiar with PC's and notebooks, you're definitely fragged.

I haven't yet seen one school PC with a genuine paid Windows version, so I went down the same path by using pirated software, knowing that nobody could blame me for that because i can always tell that it's from my school, a governmental institution.

You might be into bird watching, ( I love to go to our local Sunday market and watch the pretty birds there)  Others have hobbies i wouldn't appreciate to do, so I finally used my interest in new technology and combined it with hard and soft ware problems of PC's and notebooks.

And yes, you're damn right, many of us have spent plenty of hours/days? behind a screen trying to get a machine back to life, wasting a lot of time we could have spent with our family, or friends.

To make a long story short. When others need to disconnect their PC's and run to a Thai technician at a dubious computer shop, not knowing what a fishy copy they'll get installed, i fix my PC within a very short period of time, without needing help.

My PC at school, the main one home and my older DELL notebook now are running genuine versions of Windows 10 Pro, the 1607 version fully updated without any problems,

running plenty of great other programs, for example MS Office 2016 pro, some programs I need to create worksheets, Power Points and other stuff. Plus a variety of great teaching programs like "Tell Me More", really fantastic. 

I've got all systems backed up by superb programs and in case of a full malfunction, it takes only up to 30 minutes and I've got my back up installed which the PC and a program automatically renew. 

That finally leaves me with three very good functioning machines, i always watch the newest movies and through Fiber Optic, I get some movies within a few minutes only, watch them and delete them. Or a friend likes to see it, okay, fine.

Now I know that I'm good enough to do such things on my own and it's always a sort of funny if a new problem arises and guys like Chicog, btw a pretty clever and nice  guy,  plus a few other nice members with a great technical knowledge, who're willing to let you know how to fix your PC before you're going to a Thai technician, pay 350 baht and come home with a bulk of viruses and Trojan horses on a fresh installed system? 

It seems that MS fixed plenty of bugs in their newest updates and running W 10 Pro, even on an older DELL notebook is very fast and if there's something popping up, some guys are able to stop it before it becomes a serious cancer.

I can say that I've leaned a lot in the last years, even when I have reached days where I just wanted to destroy the thingy with a sledge hammer.

I've got two hotmail accounts, on one " One Drive" a lot of important programs, so no need to carry anything with me. I have access to them wherever I am and I'm independent from Thai computer shops. Would you know the level of the technicians' knowledge, you'd never ever bring a PC, or notebook to such a shop.

Now I've reached a point where i can sit down and relax, spend some time with my family, watch some movies, or do whatever I want to.

But I do not need to drive around and pay for problems I'd get from a shop. I have to apologize for the too long post, just wanted to make sure that you understand why some people are doing certain things.

I only go to "my Advice shop with the pretty employee" when I need a part, really the best places to buy software in Thailand are Advice shops. They usually have some good technicians too, the problems only arise when it comes to more complex English.

A set up at such a shop on a friend's notebook destroyed my hard work and these shops can't be trusted.

They put Baidu programs on, either the Anti virus program, or the Baidu browser, all infiltrated with viruses on a fresh installation.

Some of China's worst programs. The wake up call comes when you're at home and the thingy makes an update.

Then you'll see that the PC isn't activated, or you see the blue screen of death and other stuff.

Then you might be happy to have people who understand technique and you might  need help from Chicog and some others on this forum. And there are some really good ones. . Got it? 

Have a nice rest of your weekend. Pass auf Dich auf. Ciao-:wai2:

The trick is, get Windows 10 tweaked to where you like it and turn-off the updates. After that you can pick which ones you want. They(MS) release these  massive updates that haven't been tested thoroughly and then people start getting into trouble when they try to download them. Bad marketing IMHO. Wait a month or so til they work out the bugs then try DLing them if you want them.

2 hours ago, Rob13 said:

The trick is, get Windows 10 tweaked to where you like it and turn-off the updates. After that you can pick which ones you want. They(MS) release these  massive updates that haven't been tested thoroughly and then people start getting into trouble when they try to download them. Bad marketing IMHO. Wait a month or so til they work out the bugs then try DLing them if you want them.

You can't.

Microsoft now deliver all updates in one file, a model they are turning on for Windows 7 for this month.

15 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

because, unlike you, i do have a soft spot for my fellow human beings. it is called 'caring'.

google it if you don't know what that means, curly.

So you do all this whinging about Windows 10 for the good of your fellow men.

How nice. 

:w00t:

Upgrading to latest version 1607 became quite a disaster for me on a multi-boot configuration of mine consisting only of two quite recent Windows 10 systems located on different disks (SSD and HD). Luckily, restorable backups were available. Still need to figure out a save workaround before I will start again that upgrade. Those backups saved me quite some time, but did not bring me progress. More people do experience similar problems. Problem is not restricted to Linux:

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/03/1614223/windows-10-anniversary-update-borks-dual-boot-partitions

2 hours ago, Chicog said:

You can't.

Microsoft now deliver all updates in one file, a model they are turning on for Windows 7 for this month.

In that case,  I'll  keep the updates disabled. I've got it set up where everything  works good for me and I'm satisfied with it. No sense in jinxing it.  I'm just guessing but I bet alot of the updates are for Cortana and the Edge browser, neither of which I use.

Archived