DANITAS Tortillas! I Love You Too Much! ~(˘▾˘~)

Trujillo

Tops has Danitas in the refrigerator case near the processed meats.  Usually.

Villa is now intermittently carrying Mission tortillas (they call them wraps) made in Malaysia for 109 baht per pack.  I think they are the best sold in Thailand now.    Mission's website says they are the the #1 tortilla manufacturer in the world.  Chock full of dough conditioners and preservatives but they do taste pretty good.  

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

I hope I'm not "off-topic" bringing up the subject of corn tortillas, as opposed to flour tortillas  :)  but I recently purchased some Danitas corn tortillas in Rimping.  And I must say, as a guy who spent 30 years of his life enjoying tortillas made by Mexicans in Southern California, these were some of the tastiest tortillas I've ever tried.  And made in Thailand, no less!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 10:48 AM, ricklev said:

Tops has Danitas in the refrigerator case near the processed meats.  Usually.

Villa is now intermittently carrying Mission tortillas (they call them wraps) made in Malaysia for 109 baht per pack.  I think they are the best sold in Thailand now.    Mission's website says they are the the #1 tortilla manufacturer in the world.  Chock full of dough conditioners and preservatives but they do taste pretty good.  

Thanks to the tipoff here, I've noticed Mission's tortillas in both Villa Sukhumvit Soi 11 and Central Food Hall CentralWorld recently. Both places for 109b per 8-pack of what they call "wraps."

Oddly, but typical of Thailand, Villa Soi 11 has theirs on a bottom shelf of the unrefrigerated bakery section at the front of the store, whereas the Danitas and other wraps and tortillas are at the far back end of the store in the refrigerated section.

In the Central Food Hall, the Mission tortillas/wraps were likewise in the store's own bakery products section on an unrefrigerated shelf next to things like croissants and muffins and rolls, etc.

Villa Sukhumvit Soi 11

Tortillas Mission 8 pc-Villa 11-109b.jpg

CentralWorld Central Food Hall bakery section

Tortillas Mission 8 pc-CW Food Hall-109b.jpg

On 2/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If Villa and Central are stocking the Mission tortillas at their stores in BKK, chances are they may also be stocking them at their outlets in CM and elsewhere.

Not necessarily. I've repeatedly shopped at 3 different Rimping stores over the past couple years and not all of them carry some of the same items. Either that or perhaps I don't see them because they all have been sold prior to my arrival.

Just now, dingdongrb said:

Not necessarily. I've repeatedly shopped at 3 different Rimping stores over the past couple years and not all of them carry some of the same items. Either that or perhaps I don't see them because they all have been sold prior to my arrival.

My prior post was talking about Villa and Central markets stocking the Mission tortillas -- nothing about Rimping. If I'm not mistaken, there are Central Festival and Villa markets in CM, right?  I can't guarantee they'll have exactly the same stock as their BKK outlets, but there's at least the chance that they do.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My prior post was talking about Villa and Central markets stocking the Mission tortillas -- nothing about Rimping. If I'm not mistaken, there are Central Festival and Villa markets in CM, right?  I can't guarantee they'll have exactly the same stock as their BKK outlets, but there's at least the chance that they do.

...and my post stated that within the same grocery chain that they don't always stock the same chit......  so???

No Villa in CM.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:44 AM, Trujillo said:

So I should fly to Bangkok to get proper tortillas? 

Don't need to. The Mission brand are in all the markets now. Tops, Big C, and I can't remember if I saw them in Rimping or not. I bought some at Big C. As stated, 109 Baht per pack. Made in Malaysia.

1 minute ago, cloudhopper said:

Sadly. Way better than Rimping.

Yah, I was just looking at Villa's store roster. They're in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin and up north Udon Thani. But not CM for some reason... maybe because Rimping is already there, but not in all the other markets Villa serves...

• 3 weeks later...
On February 7, 2560 BE at 8:44 AM, Trujillo said:

So I should fly to Bangkok to get proper tortillas? 

if you do fly to bangkok please do not fly bangkok air as the product will be out of date by the time that you return to chiang mai. I recently experienced extraordinary delays, unnecessary bus transportation and deplorable lines to get on the plane

• 5 months later...

Has anyone seen Mission Tortillas in Bangkok?

None left at a couple of Villas, Central Chidlom, or Big C Rajadamri.

They seemed to be doing a good job of keeping them in stock so I'm afraid that's that for them.  Hope I'm wrong and it's just a supply glitch.

Edited by ricklev

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, ricklev said:

Has anyone seen Mission Tortillas in Bangkok?

None left at a couple of Villas, Central Chidlom, or Big C Rajadamri.

They seemed to be doing a good job of keeping them in stock so I'm afraid that's that for them.  Hope I'm wrong and it's just a supply glitch.

I was by the Central Food Hall at CentralWorld today and am pretty sure I saw the Mission tortillas in stock in their normal location on a lower shelf in the bakery section there.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, ricklev said:

I noticed at checkout today at Villa that my El Charro tortillas were 200 baht.  That can't be right!

https://www.honestbee.co.th/en/groceries/stores/villa-market/products/2251893

I remember when Villa decided about ten years ago that a can of refried beans cost 225 baht and it took months for them to correct it.  

I believe that's the price they've been in Villa for some time, the 10 inch size.

I stopped buying and using them lately when I noticed that just one of their 10 in flour tortillas has almost 500 mg of sodium, 20% of your daily recommended allowance for sodium just in the one plain flour tortilla. to me, that's CRAZY!

The first photo shows the per tortilla nutrition info. The second photo of the front of the package, for some reason, shows the nutrition values for the entire package of 10 tortillas.

5b018c36db7ba_2018-05-0822_52_44.jpg.fcf3dbbfe3d612657ddc2916eafae728.jpg

5b018c3b77dcd_ElCharro10intortillas.jpg.73cfe8072660c4f887a4e12e4b42d940.jpg

But, they seem to be selling the somewhat smaller 8-9 inch flour tortilla 10-pack from Danitas for just 88 baht, which makes the 10 inch pricing kind of crazy too.

5b0192b741a47_2018-05-2022_19_18.jpg.bb89f852beb97e630059c3c46e21ec16.jpg

But, Makro apparently has had their 12 in version at times -- which I've never seen in any other store that I can recall -- for 235b.

5b019438663f9_ElCharro12intortillas-Makro-235b1.jpg.26e5aad9be2f36bb37b2d12ce0d8d9a7.jpg

Perhaps the larger sizes are overpriced because those are the ones used by restaurants and so there's greater demand for those particular products vs. the smaller ones.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Loads of salt in bread, i eat very little.  During the hot summer i like green olives, also salty but better than chips, or the like.

Bread, it turns out, is the top contributor of dietary sodium in the US and many other countries around the world. And a big new analysis from the World Action on Salt and Health, based at Queen Mary University of London, helps us understand why.

That is lot of salt.

I guess Villa's pricing is correct:  http://www.elcharromexthai.com/product-category/335456/Flour-Products-Group.html

Seems a strange decision on their part.   Maybe it takes them longer to make them for some reason or maybe it's because they have no competitors here for the larger sizes used for wraps and, as previously posted, that's what restaurants use.

This is fun to play with to figure out how how diameter affects surface area without doing the math.  8 inch is 50 square inches and 10 inches is 78.

http://www1.udel.edu/CIS/103/pconrad/07F/lect/11.01/pizzaCalc.html

Edited by ricklev

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

This is fun to play with to figure out how how diameter affects surface area without doing the math.  8 inch is 50 square inches and 10 inches is 78.

The maths is easy if you only need to know the relationship between the two pizzas:

8 x 8 = 64

10 x 10 = 100

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Loads of salt in bread, i eat very little.  During the hot summer i like green olives, also salty but better than chips, or the like.

Salt is an issue for many folks, of course, as they get older because it can contribute to high blood pressure levels.

What I was perplexed to see, though,  was that while many of the FLOUR tortilla brands here seem to have pretty hefty salt levels, a number of the CORN tortillas, the hard ones fried in oil, have little or no salt according to their nutrition label info.

I don't understand why the manufacturers are using so much salt to make flour tortillas and then seem to need little or none to make corn tortillas.

BTW, Tops and Central Markets carry a brand of packaged tortilla chips from the U.S. called Garden of Eatin' that are pretty good, and often on sale. They probably have 6 or so different varieties/flavors that can be found at various times here.

A lot of the flavored varieties, like nacho for example, have pretty high levels of salt. Some of the plainer versions have less. But they also have a "No Salt Added" blue corn variety with that label in big letters on the front of the package that has just 10 mg of salt per 1 oz serving, which rates as 0% of the RDA for salt on the nutrition label.

As much as I like the various flavored versions, I'd rather be able to eat what I want of the NSA blue corn variety and be able to feel good about it from a health perspective, and not worry about something needlessly raising the salt levels in my diet.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, ricklev said:

That is lot of salt.

I guess Villa's pricing is correct:  http://www.elcharromexthai.com/product-category/335456/Flour-Products-Group.html

Seems a strange decision on their part.   Maybe it takes them longer to make them for some reason or maybe it's because they have no competitors here for the larger sizes used for wraps and, as previously posted, that's what restaurants use.

Even that kind of square inch differential between the 8 and 10 inch variety doesn't explain a retail pricing scheme that has the 10 inch variety costing more than double the 8 inch variety. It's weird!

Obviously to make 10" tortillas the factory needs much larger hands on the workers, compared to more normal 8" discs.

Such large handed workers are rare and cost more so, fewer big tortillas are made each week.

My advice, learn to love small. 

I believe you can still order fresh, homemade tortillas, and maybe even have them delivered, from these folks https://www.facebook.com/mexicantortillas/?ref=br_rs

or for those without FB i've copied the info:

NG0i5Pv5bM5.png
Products
I'm making Homemade flour Tortillas ready to cook, by pre-order and deliver at Kad Farang, Hang Dong area.

30 medium size Flour Tortillas 210 Baht 

Send a message to order or e-mail me at: Ana Rios
[email protected]

Thank you!!

• 5 months later...

Considering that El Charro's tortillas are made from what must be the two cheapest ingredients in Thailand, white flour and palm oil, it bugs me that they charge a 110 baht differential for what must be less then one baht of additional cost between the 8 and 10 inch tortilla.  Of course I keep buying them as I like a larger tortilla and I guess others do too.  Anybody see any competitor products in the large tortilla/wrap category?

Edited by ricklev