Death in Grand Canyon

orchis

Rip.

I'm surprised there are not more deaths. Last few times we went, it was one drunk idiot westerner jumping in right after another. Many close calls. 

The jump is fun,  but worrying about some moron landing on you takes some of the enjoyment out of it. 

Several months ago went with a friend to Ram.  After surgery he had to wait a really long time to be admitted to a room.  I asked the nurse why all the rooms were full.  She said 6 people had sustained serious injuries at the "Grand Canyon" over the weekend.

Well I was there. 

But what surprises me is that they did nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I dont reccommend this cliff jumping at all, even though it could be fun.

Ok now i can see the video... even worse. I didn't realize they jumped one after another.... so stupid

This was an accident waiting to happen. I live very near, am not a swimmer myself, but as this place has developed I ve been there a few times for a coffee overlooking the whole place. People behave really, really stupidly, Thai and Foreigners alike, and I ve seen almost the same thing a few times, people jumping from exactly the same spot a few seconds apart will invariably land in the same place in the water.

There are a few sort of "lifeguards" but doubt if theyre professionally trained as they simply observe and dont intervene at all. Contrast that with the professional lifeguards at places like Bondi Beach, where the lifeguards are constantly watching and have a rapid response if anything silly is in danger of happening.

16 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

There has been 6 deaths by my count over the past 5 years at this water hole. You can do a Google search.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/64491/

http://ourchiangmai.com/2014/07/16/swimming-hangdong-canyon-latest-drowning/

Well you may be right. 3 ,6 ,10 ........no matter how many the place is not just a potential death trap, it is a death trap. Many people, especially of Asian origin, are totally oblivious to the danger they put  themselves in.On the Gold Coast of Qld ,Oz lifesavers are constantly rescuing Japanese tourists who have no idea of rips and currents and find themselves drowning.Luckily for them professional life guards are on duty with craft plucking them out of the surf

City News some time ago, if I remember correctly, did a story that life guards would be on duty at this new attraction at all times .Where were they to stop people being totally dumb ? Hope someone with some authority closes it.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Well you may be right. 3 ,6 ,10 ........no matter how many the place is not just a potential death trap, it is a death trap. Many people, especially of Asian origin, are totally oblivious to the danger they put  themselves in.On the Gold Coast of Qld ,Oz lifesavers are constantly rescuing Japanese tourists who have no idea of rips and currents and find themselves drowning.Luckily for them professional life guards are on duty with craft plucking them out of the surf

City News some time ago, if I remember correctly, did a story that life guards would be on duty at this new attraction at all times .Where were they to stop people being totally dumb ? Hope someone with some authority closes it.

Yes close it down. Let's close everything down. We can't have people having fun now can we. I bet you are real fun at parties.

If one drives around that area near to the "canyon" there are abandoned mine pits all over the place. These pits are very steep and have loose soil that makes it impossible or very difficult to get out. Of course the bottom of the pits have accumulated water.

I'm sure many children and animals have drowned over the years.

I have seen these hazards right near to peoples houses and they don't even bother putting a fence around it.

Oh well

12 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

Yes close it down. Let's close everything down. We can't have people having fun now can we. I bet you are real fun at parties.

"Having Fun" ?  Yeah.....life heres all part of "having fun".....unsafe ziplines, unsafe bungy jumps, already took lives, now we have an unsafe unsupervised cliff jumping experience that has taken a few lives, all this on top of an awful lot of unsafe driving standards! which take many lives on a daily basis.

Yeah, life here is so much "fun", risking your life every day in so many different ways, what a laugh, its all so funny isnt it throatwobbler!

16 minutes ago, EL159 said:

"Having Fun" ?  Yeah.....life heres all part of "having fun".....unsafe ziplines, unsafe bungy jumps, already took lives, now we have an unsafe unsupervised cliff jumping experience that has taken a few lives, all this on top of an awful lot of unsafe driving standards! which take many lives on a daily basis.

Yeah, life here is so much "fun", risking your life every day in so many different ways, what a laugh, its all so funny isnt it throatwobbler!

Yes... it is. You really don't start to live until you've learned to accept death as part of it.  If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

Let me offer a quote by a very wise person. She happens to blind and deaf, living in a world where accidents are just waiting to happen. She says;

Security is mostly a superstition.  Security does
not exist in nature, nor  do the children of men
as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no
safer  in the long run than outright exposure.  
Life is either a daring adventure or  nothing.

Helen Keller

If a blind and deaf woman can see life this way, so can I. And it's good.

19 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes... it is. You really don't start to live until you've learned to accept death as part of it.  If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

Let me offer a quote by a very wise person. She happens to blind and deaf, living in a world where accidents are just waiting to happen. She says;

Helen Keller

Indeed..., and a life lived in fear is a life half lived etc etc etc...., but, even a little bit of common sense can go a long way especially when on a holiday and a long way from home....., although these days all too often it can seem like it's really un-common sense. 
I can recall in my more care free days getting up to similar youthful hi-jinx...., albeit from just a jetty. But 'consecutive' jumping from a place of some height is at least simply foolhardy.
RIP..., I feel for the persons family and friends.

31 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Indeed..., and a life lived in fear is a life half lived etc etc etc...., but, even a little bit of common sense can go a long way especially when on a holiday and a long way from home....., although these days all too often it can seem like it's really un-common sense. 
I can recall in my more care free days getting up to similar youthful hi-jinx...., albeit from just a jetty. But 'consecutive' jumping from a place of some height is at least simply foolhardy.
RIP..., I feel for the persons family and friends.

I agree... There are a lot of people doing a lot of foolish things. We are all pretty lucky just to have survived childhood, what with riding bicycles without helmets, making our own skateboards and using them without wearing body armor, no childproof lids on medicine bottles, we'd jump from roof to roof playing 'Follow the Leader,' and not worry that we were on 6-story buildings. We'd ride in cars with no seat belts, riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day, eating white bread... Hell, we were even able to disappear all day long without any way for your parents to contact us! And we survived...

I remember lines of kids jumping off the side of the quarry playing 'Machine Gun' trying to get as many of us into the air at the same time... and this was in America too... and not a lifeguard in sight!

We broke bones. We got cut. We fell down and went boom...  And every now and then we'd hear about someone getting killed. And it was sad. RIP. And life went on.  As we got older and wiser, we stopped a lot of our foolish ways. Some folks made laws to make things 'safe.' Which was a good thing because then no one ever died again.  These days, I'll never ride my motorcycle without a helmet, but plenty of foreigners and Thais do.

My sympathies to the families of those who have lost relatives to these sorts of things. But those who passed, did so while living life to its fullest.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Helen Keller

I'm guessing that there were no statistics books in braille back in her day.

14 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

I never said close everything down that's a very immature and incorrect comment.

You cant seem to get your head around the fact that there is no supervision, its a money making enterprise with no concern about safety. If it was a member of your family or a friend you might think differently. Why do we have laws to wear helmets ,seat belts on the roads because it saves lives.

2 years ago I pulled a 5 years old boy out of our village pool. He was having "fun" in the deep end unfortuantly for him his older brothers had cleared off to get some snacks and drinks.He was drowning and I was the only other person there. I am such a killjoy.

Pathetic post Throatwobbler

35 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Good grief. Once again another topic replied to all about ME ME ME. Like a child standing at the back of a class jumping up and down trying to get attention.

Kind of the quandary of an open forum.....All any of have is our experiences (me) - our thoughts and observations to share (me)......

In order to share someone else's experiences I (me) have had to gotten the information somewhere....

Me/myself/I am never going to be able to appeal/agree with all/some/sometimes any other Me's out there.....

But we all decide to sit here and use up space.....

Most of the time it's interesting to see what the other Me's think & say....

It's a detached involvement at best......

And I/me can only bother you if you make it important for your own (me).....

If you get to the point where someone is so annoying to you that you attack then just use the block function....Life's too short....

So far, over the years - I've blocked One.....

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Helen Keller

I guess if Helen Keller were alive today she wouldn't wear seat belts.  Because, you know, wearing them is mostly just a superstition.

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I guess if Helen Keller were alive today she wouldn't wear seat belts.  Because, you know, wearing them is mostly just a superstition.

I realize that you are just playing with words again, but in the case where you are actually being this foolish, let me clarify...

Wearing seat belts 'may' save your life in a car crash. No question about that.

Unless the car crash is with a train that broadsides your car at 120kph.

Where is the 'security' of the seat belts then?

15 hours ago, EL159 said:

Really sounds like you are not cut out for life here. You will worry about everything and send yourself into an early grave.

13 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I never said close everything down that's a very immature and incorrect comment.

You cant seem to get your head around the fact that there is no supervision, its a money making enterprise with no concern about safety. If it was a member of your family or a friend you might think differently. Why do we have laws to wear helmets ,seat belts on the roads because it saves lives.

2 years ago I pulled a 5 years old boy out of our village pool. He was having "fun" in the deep end unfortuantly for him his older brothers had cleared off to get some snacks and drinks.He was drowning and I was the only other person there. I am such a killjoy.

Pathetic post Throatwobbler

You have constantly said close it down through out this thread. No where did I say that everything was good there and yes there needs to be supervision. Your automatic response though was close it down, not look about how to improve things. The recent why are the elderly so bitter could have been about you.

PS if you are calling me pathetic then it means I must be doing something right. :P

A few people have taken the Hellen Keller quote to the extremes.

Throwing caution to the Wind is not quite the same as taking unmitigated risk.

We all throw caution to the Wind and enjoy ourselves to varying degrees - it is this grey area which we debate and often don't agree on... Our risk profiles vary and the borders sometimes merge with what others perceive to be unmitigated risk.... 

Examples at hand...

Skydiving in New Zealand - OK... Skydiving in Thailand - think Carefully

Bungee Jumping in New Zealand - OK... Bungee Jumping in Thailand - No !!!

There are many activities which involve risk, however, the oversight of mitigation factors for this risk varies in different countries... accountability varies, as such so does the risk factor.

As with anything in life, fun and risk when combined must also be handled intelligently.

Archived