Song sung blue (and painfully)

Dexlowe

Why are there so many out-of-tune singers around Pattaya?

Now, I understand that bands in the bars are unlikely to have competent singers (unless they are Filipino), but some of them turn good beer flat. And then there's every man and his dog grabbing the mike to sing along and in the process destroying all traces of goodwill and harmony between the races.

Anyway, bars are not the catalyst for this post - it's (name deleted so as not to offend the shameless) Mall in Pattaya, my favourite hangout. I love the place, but the other week, there was a band playing on the ground floor. Now you'd think that an upmarket shopping centre like (name deleted, etc) would have standards. The moment I walked in and heard that dreadful off-key screeching by the Thai singer, I turned around and walked straight back out in a hissy fit. How can anyone enjoy a cuppa or some thoughtful shopping with that cacophony? How could a classy mall foist such caterwauling on its customers? Is there life after Thailand? Wait, expunge that last question. 

I'm struggling to remember the last time I heard a Thai singer perform in tune in Pattaya - live, that is. It seems to me that the public are only interested in Good Looks and Bling (GLAB? :) ). Many years back, that night time TV show Si-tum Square featured the latest big time rock band (I forget the name - probably my subconscious suppressing painful memories). Presenter Witawat was full of delight as he announced them - and on stage with bad boy panache they came, all posture, GLAB, tattoos and attitude. They LOOKED the part of death metal rockers, with each skull and cross-bones placed for maximum effect. And then as the three-chord wonders launched into a dirge, the singer opened his mouth. Bad move. He was dire, bloody awful, two tones - flat and road kill. But he posed well and moved the move, looked good. The audience went ape. Caruso turned in his grave. I thought about phoning Witawat (he speaks very good English) to demand an apology. 

I'm sure every reader -- especially those with a sense of humor, hint, hint -- has endured the off-key cringe factor at some stage or another. 

Now I'm off to the local karaoke to do my Frank Sinatra impersonation. I'm very good! Really! I could do with some company ...

9 hours ago, onemorechang said:

I dont want to hear one more western song murdered.

Thais are great at Thai songs and i love that.

but stay away from our songs,   its just an awful  din.

As for the Filipino singers , no thank you.  :wai2:

It's pure torture. I take solace in the fact, that one can always move to a place where a Farang Elvis Impersonator is at work.:)

Cheers.