Yamaha X Max Thailand?

MrJ

assuming the one I spotted was an grey import - just back from the Yamaha dealer in Pattaya and its not on the market yet and they don't have an idea when it will be sold - they just said maybe next year and thinking only the 400cc

for anything around 250k I would be in

In 2007 Yamaha Thailand imported a few (exact number has escaped me) Yamaha Majesty 400 (YP400) for market research. Mid 2008 it became clear that the Majesty 400 would not be suitable for the Thai market and the whole idea to include the Yamaha Majesty 400 was canceled.

What happened with the 2007 shipment of Majesty 400’s (about 5 or 6 scooters)? They were not send back so they still in Thailand… I know that at least 2 are sold and ride around in the greater Bangkok area.

It’s possible that somebody bought one who lives in Pattaya… Still a Yamaha Majesty 400 looks a good amount different than a Yamaha Xmas.

Another option is that the guy was wearing a red velvet jacket, which can be an indication that x’mas comes early this year… :D

Edited by Richard-BKK

16 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

In 2007 Yamaha Thailand imported a few (exact number has escaped me) Yamaha Majesty 400 (YP400) for market research. Mid 2008 it became clear that the Majesty 400 would not be suitable for the Thai market and the whole idea to include the Yamaha Majesty 400 was canceled.

That is interesting - and a bit of a shame.

I road a Majesty 250 around in Japan for a while and it was like a super comfy lounge chair on wheels. Plenty of get-up-and-go for a 250. I think when I was done with it, it had done over 40k kms.

I see a few T-max around in Pattaya with what looks likes Russians riders/pillions, with a bit of after market parts they can look pretty cool.

They are pretty fast too and can accelerate very fast from stand-still, but the price is crazy, app 550k baht I believe. That is Africa Twin territory, so for me the choice is not hard despite they as about as far apart as 2 wheelers can be.

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I see a few T-max around in Pattaya with what looks likes Russians riders/pillions, with a bit of after market parts they can look pretty cool.

They are pretty fast too and can accelerate very fast from stand-still, but the price is crazy, app 550k baht I believe. That is Africa Twin territory, so for me the choice is not hard despite they as about as far apart as 2 wheelers can be.

That's true about the price for sure..... I think they like the 530k for 530cc price point lol.

You get a lot more bike with the AT, but on the road in urban conditions I would expect the T-Max to eat the AT up!

2 hours ago, denkiblue555 said:

That's true about the price for sure..... I think they like the 530k for 530cc price point lol.

You get a lot more bike with the AT, but on the road in urban conditions I would expect the T-Max to eat the AT up!

If it comes to riding, you should try the Honda Integra S (750cc parallel-twin with DCT) it has a 6-gear automatic transmission, not a CVT like the Yamaha T-Max. It’s fantastic to ride in town and on the lone-country road.

Better even the Yamaha T-Max is about 530,000 THB while the Honda Integra S is “only” 384,000 THB...

1 hour ago, Richard-BKK said:

If it comes to riding, you should try the Honda Integra S (750cc parallel-twin with DCT) it has a 6-gear automatic transmission, not a CVT like the Yamaha T-Max. It’s fantastic to ride in town and on the lone-country road.

Better even the Yamaha T-Max is about 530,000 THB while the Honda Integra S is “only” 384,000 THB...

I'd have to ride them both back to back and then decide of course, but I have been eyeing off the T-Max for a while now (so I am a bit one-eyed).

Compared to the Honda, the T-Max seems to be more compact, it's 20kgs lighter, less power/TQ, but bigger brakes, bigger forks....all in all, a very 'performance' orientated scooter......I think they even had a race series somewhere with the T-Max??

Either way, here in LOS I would rather do other things with 400 - 500k Baht than buy a giant scooter!

He Denkiblue, be careful how you spent your money... If you really want a more competitive scooter compared to the Yamaha T-Max you should also look at the Sym Maxsym 600i ABS.

Nothing wrong with a Yamaha T-Max, but if you want sporty, buy a sportsbike and safe the money is my idea. The Yamaha is perfect, it can even compete with some sportbikes on cornering and acceleration…

But why “most” people buy a maxi-scooter is not for having cutting edge sport performance. It’s for rideability, easy to use and no-a-day fuel consumption is also getting more important.

While the Yamaha T-Max has only a 530cc engine, it seems to consume nearly twice as much as a Honda Ingegra S (750cc) on a road trip from Bangkok to Khong Kaen. In all honesty the trip was not done back-to-back so it’s not a real benchmark… but it says something about the difference between a DCT 6-gear automatic and a CVT… Trying to climb any hill without speed will rev the engine at the CVT, while the Honda DCT seems to know what happens and adjust changing gear to match… The Honda Integra S engine never get upset…

For the Sym Maxsym 600i ABS, the horsepower at the rear is similar to the Yamaha but with about 10 more torque…

If you looking for a maxi-scooter for less then 530,000 THB, it would be hard to ignore the Sym Maxsys 600i ABS, it’s the most comfortable, best handling, cheapest (about 200,000 THB) and easiest to use of all scooters…

If fuel consumption and getting from town to town is the thing you look for, go Honda and buy the Honda Integra S, it has the best kilometers per liter of fuel … basically a CVT is never going to beat a DCT Automatic on fuel consumption, also if you ride in mountains or hills you want to stick with the Honda as it’s able to lock gear to get up the steepest climb without a fuss…

As special mention I also want to tell that anybody should try the Honda Bat Bike… in which I mean the Honda NM4… it shares the engine with the Honda Integra S, cost a fortune more (539.000 THB) and is best described in current motorcycle terms as a automatic cruiser…. But for people looking for a cruiser it seems heaven… I’m not really into cruisers so I have to keep that short… but if you like out of town touring in a relaxed way… Make sure you test the Honda NM4….

O, for the OP I check with my buddies at Yamaha Asia, not plans the get the Xmax into Thailand. Basically they said the Yamaha Xmax was a concept that would not work in Asia, if they “Yamaha”…. would enter the 250 ~ 300cc scooter market the Yamaha Xmax would not be competitive enough...

Edited by Richard-BKK