Thinking hard about moving back to the US

Strange

On 9/26/2016 at 2:02 AM, BudRight said:

The other poster probably does not realize that students at American Universities take entrance exams and are placed according to their ability. Lower scores = easier classes.

Is this something new? Can you explain yourself please? I spent 8 years in American universities and I never heard about this!!

(Maybe I was always in the class for learning disabled??)

Edited by amykat

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, amykat said:

Is this something new? Can you explain yourself please? I spent 8 years in American universities and I never heard about this!!

(Maybe I was always in the class for learning disabled??)

Agree.  No such "placement" exist in American universities.  I don't know why people make stuff up like that. 

I think some schools have programs for incoming students considered at risk for dropping out because they're not really at college level. You couldn't graduate based on such courses. They're for getting you to a place where you have a better chance of  passing regular courses. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think some schools have programs for incoming students considered at risk for dropping out because they're not really at college level. You couldn't graduate based on such courses. They're for getting you to a place where you have a better chance of  passing regular courses. 

That's not what the Budright guy said.  He's talking about universities placing students based on their "ability."  Based on what, SAT?  Placed where exactly?  I attended universities in America.  No such thing exist. 

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

That's not what the Budright guy said.  He's talking about universities placing students based on their "ability."  Based on what, SAT?  Placed where exactly?  I attended universities in America.  No such thing exist. 

Good grief. They are called "Placement Tests." The English test lets you take ENG101 if you pass it but the Math test lets you test into Calculus which is well above a remedial course.

When I posted this I didn't think anyone would deny that it exists. I took the damn things and they were used to place me, but maybe it's only at community colleges. 

Edited by BudRight

2 hours ago, BudRight said:

Good grief. They are called "Placement Tests." The English test lets you take ENG101 if you pass it but the Math test lets you test into Calculus which is well above a remedial course.

When I posted this I didn't think anyone would deny that it exists. I took the damn things and they were used to place me, but maybe it's only at community colleges. 

The only university tests I took were related to admissions (SAT, GMAT).  They were only used as part of the admissions process, along with GPA, extra-curricular activities, work experience, etc.  Once you were admitted, you were the same as everyone else.  I don't dispute that there may be remedial courses in high schools, but I don't recall them in universities.  But if you attended them...what can I say.

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Agree.  No such "placement" exist in American universities.  I don't know why people make stuff up like that. 

As of the 2015 testing season, exams cost $91 each, though the cost may be subsidized by local or state programs. Financial aid is available for students who qualify for it; the exam reduction is $26 or $28 per exam from College Board plus an additional $8 rebate per fee-reduced exam from the school. There may be further reductions depending on the state. Out of the $91, $8 goes directly to the school to pay for the administration of the test, which some schools will reduce to lower the cost to the student.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement

The College Board offers national examinations that allow students to qualify for advanced placement or academic credit at many colleges and universities. These exams are administered each May. Official scores must be sent to Iowa State University directly from the College Board. For specific equivalencies, see the chart below.

https://www.admissions.iastate.edu/cbe/ap.php

14 pages into the thread and I have yet to hear "joie de vivre" mentioned. That "je ne sais quoi" that imbues deep in Thai genes and so sorely lacks in American genes. I'm now on my third week into my two month long visit back in the States and already feeling like a fish out of water

Broad strokes:  WalMart sports the architectural look of an industrial  bunker, McDonald's that of a jail. The latter is designed so that you would not want to linger. Heavy use of fencing material (fkid's playground has been moved indoor at the expense of seating space), the presence of an (again indoor) security guard and signs that say 30 minute to eat your meal, no loitering make no mistake about their policy. People in general have bodies the shape of someone spending too much time sitting behind the wheel: both men and women look crunched up, barrel thick torso, bellies spilled over short spindly legs.

The landscape, though supposedly in  clement weather, is a drab gray or green, with little washed out colors here and there All this in Anaheim, the birthplace of the magic kingdom of Disneyland. People running around with big letters carved on their forehead that say: "All work and no Joy!" And for your personal safety, please get in a car (and risk getting the aforementioned body shape) - learn to drive if you have to -  but  DO NOT WALK!

I am not touching on the issues about prices and food which have been discussed ad nauseam here. For the working man's bracket (lo-so in Thai): Let's just say you get big, huge portions but the food in general has little taste. Though if you look high and low, you might still stumble upon something spectacular (Flipping Pizza, a small chain coming out of Carlsbad). Starbucks carries sensational selection of teas - "Joy 2015" is one shining example. And Peets coffee would still brew a whole new batch of your desired coffee bean if they don't have it "on tab."

But the minus so outweigh the plus re life here in Southern California (I shudder just to think what it would feel like in the snowy Northeast!). that i find myself  gasping for air whenever I realize that I'm still on american soil (which means the nightmare has not ended...) 

2 hours ago, smo said:

14 pages into the thread and I have yet to hear "joie de vivre" mentioned. That "je ne sais quoi" that imbues deep in Thai genes and so sorely lacks in American genes. I'm now on my third week into my two month long visit back in the States and already feeling like a fish out of water

Broad strokes:  WalMart sports the architectural look of an industrial  bunker, McDonald's that of a jail. The latter is designed so that you would not want to linger. Heavy use of fencing material (fkid's playground has been moved indoor at the expense of seating space), the presence of an (again indoor) security guard and signs that say 30 minute to eat your meal, no loitering make no mistake about their policy. People in general have bodies the shape of someone spending too much time sitting behind the wheel: both men and women look crunched up, barrel thick torso, bellies spilled over short spindly legs.

The landscape, though supposedly in  clement weather, is a drab gray or green, with little washed out colors here and there All this in Anaheim, the birthplace of the magic kingdom of Disneyland. People running around with big letters carved on their forehead that say: "All work and no Joy!" And for your personal safety, please get in a car (and risk getting the aforementioned body shape) - learn to drive if you have to -  but  DO NOT WALK!

I am not touching on the issues about prices and food which have been discussed ad nauseam here. For the working man's bracket (lo-so in Thai): Let's just say you get big, huge portions but the food in general has little taste. Though if you look high and low, you might still stumble upon something spectacular (Flipping Pizza, a small chain coming out of Carlsbad). Starbucks carries sensational selection of teas - "Joy 2015" is one shining example. And Peets coffee would still brew a whole new batch of your desired coffee bean if they don't have it "on tab."

But the minus so outweigh the plus re life here in Southern California (I shudder just to think what it would feel like in the snowy Northeast!). that i find myself  gasping for air whenever I realize that I'm still on american soil (which means the nightmare has not ended...) 

More good food to eat and interesting things to see and do on a weekend in southern California than a year in Thailand. It's your choice to spend time at Walmart and McDonald's. 

9 hours ago, Scotwight said:

As of the 2015 testing season, exams cost $91 each, though the cost may be subsidized by local or state programs. Financial aid is available for students who qualify for it; the exam reduction is $26 or $28 per exam from College Board plus an additional $8 rebate per fee-reduced exam from the school. There may be further reductions depending on the state. Out of the $91, $8 goes directly to the school to pay for the administration of the test, which some schools will reduce to lower the cost to the student.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement

The College Board offers national examinations that allow students to qualify for advanced placement or academic credit at many colleges and universities. These exams are administered each May. Official scores must be sent to Iowa State University directly from the College Board. For specific equivalencies, see the chart below.

https://www.admissions.iastate.edu/cbe/ap.php

You're starting to talk apples and oranges now.  The AP you're talking about refers to high school kids earning college credits while still in high school.  What the other dude was talking about was placement in certain remedial courses due to academic deficiencies.  Again, I saw no such thing when I was doing my undergrad and grad work. 

4 hours ago, smo said:

14 pages into the thread and I have yet to hear "joie de vivre" mentioned. That "je ne sais quoi" that imbues deep in Thai genes and so sorely lacks in American genes. 

I, too, am surprised that Thailand's social environment isn't mentioned more often on threads which compare this country to other countries in the West. Thailand's social environment was far and away my number one reason for moving, as well as staying, here.

I can vividly recall experiencing intense loneliness for long stretches while living in the US, and it doesn't really matter whether I talk about suburbs or cities in the Bay Area, Columbus, OH, Seattle, New York, or pretty much anywhere else I've lived. I'm talking about the 'go down to the attached garage, get in your car, press the garage door opener, drive half a mile to the grocery store, shop, go to the ATM, pick up your dry cleaning, and never say boo to anyone' loneliness. The 'don't know your neighbors' or 'never exchange a nod or greeting, or make eye contact, or strike up a conversation with someone you've seen half a dozen times before' type of loneliness.  I'm talking about urban and suburban anonymity and isolation, where people spend their free time in front of the TV, computer screens, and video games. Before people jump in to boast about how their social calendar back in the States is booked solid for the next 12 months, can I get an Amen from anyone?

For me, Thailand is a refuge from the social isolation and exclusion which I encountered in the West. In Thailand, people do seem to be generally happier, more willing to return smiles, engage in chit-chat or share a laugh, perhaps even become a friend. People here are definitely more open, and I don't care whether you're talking about young or old, rich or poor, country or city, or how physically attractive you may or may not be. Yes, some of it is superficial, but a lot is genuine as well. I call it "the-walking-down-the-street" feeling;  the sense of social buoyancy which comes from Thailand's ambient environment of social acceptance and inclusion. If that social dynamic isn't valued by some, I'll accept that. But I would point out that in my experience, it's important to just about every Thai person I've met, which is something to consider when relocating with a Thai spouse. For me, Thailand's social environment has been a priceless God-send, and I've never had second thoughts about living here.

Edited by Gecko123

'Amen' from me.

I have become more dependent on old friendships and my wife’s friends in my old age but in my 20s and 30s it was very easy to be single and I never felt lonely.  With very little effort you could become a well known regular around town and everyone was very nice, even if you were a gregarious loner like me.  Speaking Thai and being on Thai TV for a while didn’t hurt.:wink:

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I, too, am surprised that Thailand's social environment isn't mentioned more often on threads which compare this country to other countries in the West. Thailand's social environment was far and away my number one reason for moving, as well as staying, here.

I spent my whole life in the U.S. before moving here upon early retirement. I can't say I ever felt the same kind of disconnected experience you described. I was always too busy with my life, my relationships, my work, etc.

However, one difference I do notice between here and there is the difference for me between living in a big U.S. city and having to drive my car to do everything and go everywhere vs. living in Bangkok where I don't have or need a car, rarely take taxis, and get around mostly by BTS, MRT and walking -- which obviously is a far more social and hopefully healthy experience.

However, while I find the change enjoyable and preferable, it's not like the social experience of walking up and down my soi many times many days, over a period of many years, creates deep social bonds. The Thais nearby know me, and we chat at times, but it's a pretty superficial thing. Back in the U.S., when I had friends outside work, those were considerably stronger, more significant relations.

If I move back to the U.S. in the future, I think, I'd like to look for someplace where I can get by day to day by walking or bicycling instead of having to rely on a car all the time.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Well I just returned home after a trip visiting the Gulf side of Florida and I will say it is 10x better than any Thai beach I have visited.

There was no garbage.

There were lifeguard stations.

There were fish everywhere and birds.

Two "wild" spotted dolphins swam right up to me while I was in waist deep water.

No jetskis blocking the walk along the tideline. 

Oh yeah...and the hotels and buildings were all atleast 200 meters off the high tide mark. 

I will choose FL over Thailand any day for beaches. 

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I can vividly recall experiencing intense loneliness for long stretches while living in the US, and it doesn't really matter whether I talk about suburbs or cities in the Bay Area, Columbus, OH, Seattle, New York, or pretty much anywhere else I've lived. I'm talking about the 'go down to the attached garage, get in your car, press the garage door opener, drive half a mile to the grocery store, shop, go to the ATM, pick up your dry cleaning, and never say boo to anyone' loneliness. The 'don't know your neighbors' or 'never exchange a nod or greeting, or make eye contact, or strike up a conversation with someone you've seen half a dozen times before' type of loneliness.  I'm talking about urban and suburban anonymity and isolation, where people spend their free time in front of the TV, computer screens, and video games. Before people jump in to boast about how their social calendar back in the States is booked solid for the next 12 months, can I get an Amen from anyone?

For me, Thailand is a refuge from the social isolation and exclusion which I encountered in the West. In Thailand, people do seem to be generally happier, more willing to return smiles, engage in chit-chat or share a laugh, perhaps even become a friend. People here are definitely more open, and I don't care whether you're talking about young or old, rich or poor, country or city, or how physically attractive you may or may not be. Yes, some of it is superficial, but a lot is genuine as well. I call it "the-walking-down-the-street" feeling;  the sense of social buoyancy which comes from Thailand's ambient environment of social acceptance and inclusion. If that social dynamic isn't valued by some, I'll accept that. But I would point out that in my experience, it's important to just about every Thai person I've met, which is something to consider when relocating with a Thai spouse. For me, Thailand's social environment has been a priceless God-send, and I've never had second thoughts about living here.

I take your point and agree there can be a great degree of anomie in modern Western societies and that social isolation is a problem for many. However, I feel with the advent of the intenet and social networks over the past 10-15 years that these new technologies can be used to at least partially alleviate this issue. Things like Match.com and Facebook groups make it much easier to find and hookup with like minded people. The superficiality of most relationships in Thailand, be they with Thais or other foreigners I feel make the issue of social isolation a problem in Thailand as well.

18 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Well I just returned home after a trip visiting the Gulf side of Florida and I will say it is 10x better than any Thai beach I have visited.

There was no garbage.

Two "wild" spotted dolphins swam right up to me while I was in waist deep water.

Oh yeah...and the hotels and buildings were all atleast 200 meters off the high tide mark. 

The almost total lack of any significant wildlife in Thailand, except packs of feral dogs and cats, is quite depressing. As for the birds and fish, the locals consumed or sold most of them for pets long ago. Even in urban areas of the United States, there are significant wildlife populations.

7 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

The almost total lack of any significant wildlife in Thailand, except packs of feral dogs and cats, is quite depressing. As for the birds and fish, the locals consumed or sold most of them for pets long ago. Even in urban areas of the United States, there are significant wildlife populations.

You are spot on.

The concept of conservstion is not very popular in Asia...in fact, its downright foreign.

The abundance of marine life and shorebirds on the FL Gulf beaches came as quite a shock to me. 

I am an early riser so I go for beachwalks and in Thailand I can fill a 55-gallon garbage bag full (although I carry smaller ones since they are easier to carry and drop on the steps of a hotel to throw away). I can fill this each day.

In FL, I picked up 3 beer cans, a water bottle and a broken snorkel total in one week.

51 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

There was no garbage.

It must have been a very depressing experience...

No raw sewage pipes emptying out onto the beach?

No horses sh**ing on the sand at the water line?

No jet skis wreaking bodily mayhem among swimmers?

Bet it made you seriously homesick for good ole' Thailand!

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

There was no garbage.

I lived in Pompano Beach for three years. I got tired of the wall to wall people.  I owned a condo and the maintenance was $175 a month. That was years ago. I had a 25 foot Wellcraft boat and also got tired of near traffic jams in the intercoastal waterway. Boats parked at the the waterfront bars were docked five and six deep. You had to be pretty sure footed to walk across all the boats. I did enjoy the offshore fishing and dipping shrimp out of the inlets. Unfortunately when the shrimp were running, there were hundreds of boats catching them. Florida would be nice if they could get rid of about 80 percent of the people.

Now that I think about it, I had dry storage for my boat. I would call them and tell them what time to put the boat in the water. When you got back, they would take the boat out of the water and spray it down to remove the salt and put it in the indoor rack. That was nice but if I remember correctly that was another $175 a month. I don't think anything has gotten cheaper.

ADDED - I forgot to mention that my best friend from Florida has a beautiful home in a gated community on an intercoastal access canal. Just his taxes and insurance cost more than it cost me to live in Thailand. I live and eat quite well .

Edited by Gary A

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It must have been a very depressing experience...

No raw sewage pipes emptying out onto the beach?

No horses sh**ing on the sand at the water line?

No jet skis wreaking bodily mayhem among swimmers?

Bet it made you seriously homesick for good ole' Thailand!

Word. And where Clutch went is the area that I will be going to at the end of the year. 

4 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I lived in Pompano Beach for three years. I got tired of the wall to wall people.  I owned a condo and the maintenance was $175 a month. That was years ago. I had a 25 foot Wellcraft boat and also got tired of near traffic jams in the intercoastal waterway. Boats parked at the the waterfront bars were docked five and six deep. You had to be pretty sure footed to walk across all the boats. I did enjoy the offshore fishing and dipping shrimp out of the inlets. Unfortunately when the shrimp were running, there were hundreds of boats catching them. Florida would be nice if they could get rid of about 80 percent of the people.

Now that I think about it, I had dry storage for my boat. I would call them and tell them what time to put the boat in the water. When you got back, they would take the boat out of the water and spray it down to remove the salt and put it in the indoor rack. That was nice but if I remember correctly that was another $175 a month. I don't think anything has gotten cheaper.

Yes, "civilization" isn't free. It's a conundrum...in Florida, "tax freedom day" falls in late April so basically, you're working for the government for 4 months of the year but at least you get some services and a clean environment. In Thailand, I don't have the comparable day but surely it comes much earlier in the year...but we're stuck with dirty beaches with no lifeguards. 

18 minutes ago, Gary A said:

ADDED - I forgot to mention that my best friend from Florida has a beautiful home in a gated community on an intercoastal access canal. Just his taxes and insurance cost more than it cost me to live in Thailand. I live and eat quite well .

Do you have a boat in Thailand? 

I would be curious the comparison.

I discussed cost-of-living with my friends down there and it is a, "You get what you pay for" equation.

My experience with Thailand was its a, "You really don't get what you pay for it". I personally think the Thailand experience is worth qbout 60%-70% of what it costs me.

If I was looking to move from my lifetime home in CO then I would choose FL over Thailand 10 out of 10 times...I like to fish.

We were on the water every day and never had the issue you describe with boat traffic. 

Cheers

On a fundamental level I think we all need to be asking is 'why' is this topic cropping up more and more?

I've noticed that the 'moving back to wherever' topic has been cropping up with increasing frequency lately. Have we all changed, or has Thailand changed?

Speaking for myself, there were always things that pissed me off about the place, but there were other benefits to offset them.

But in recent years; it's not cheap anymore, the xenophobia gets worse, the constant intrusion into our lives, is just beginning to tip the balance. I think it really got to me earlier this year when, after just after going to immigration to renew my extension, having to fill in the new personal info form, I got a visit from the local cops with yet another personal info form for me to fill in and take my picture. All just getting too much

Maybe they really don't want us here, and it's beginning to take it's toll on our collective mindset!

11 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm talking about the 'go down to the attached garage, get in your car, press the garage door opener, drive half a mile to the grocery store, shop, go to the ATM, pick up your dry cleaning, and never say boo to anyone' loneliness. The 'don't know your neighbors' or 'never exchange a nod or greeting, or make eye contact, or strike up a conversation with someone you've seen half a dozen times before' type of loneliness.  I'm talking about urban and suburban anonymity and isolation,

You know , you can experience that feeling in Bangkok too .   Social isolation can happen anywhere , if you do not have a network it can be hard to  get out of that kind of loneliness .   

4 minutes ago, balo said:

You know , you can experience that feeling in Bangkok too .   Social isolation can happen anywhere , if you do not have a network it can be hard to  get out of that kind of loneliness .   

Very true...but I do wonder if living in a foreign land makes it worse?

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

On a fundamental level I think we all need to be asking is 'why' is this topic cropping up more and more?

I've noticed that the 'moving back to wherever' topic has been cropping up with increasing frequency lately. Have we all changed, or has Thailand changed?

Speaking for myself, there were always things that pissed me off about the place, but there were other benefits to offset them.

But in recent years; it's not cheap anymore, the xenophobia gets worse, the constant intrusion into our lives, is just beginning to tip the balance. I think it really got to me earlier this year when, after just after going to immigration to renew my extension, having to fill in the new personal info form, I got a visit from the local cops with yet another personal info form for me to fill in and take my picture. All just getting too much

Maybe they really don't want us here, and it's beginning to take it's toll on our collective mindset!

I there are many reasons for this...probably as many as there are expats. It is true that both people and countries change. Due to a combination of factors, Thailand is not as cheap a retirement location as it once was, however, it is still cheaper than most places in the developed world. It is a case of "you get what you pay for," however, that has been mentioned. People, and what they want out of life change as well and I find that what once attracted me to Thailand is no longer so important in life as I get older...if you get my drift.

I don't feel much, if any, xenophobia as described by others and my interaction with the government is pretty much limited to my annual "retirement" visa extension, 90-day reports, and an annual tax return for my house. These are all uneventful and I've never had an issue with them. 

I think for me is I've basically "done" the expat thing for almost 20 years now and the pull to return to my "home" seems to get stronger day by day.

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Yes these pop up more frequently and usually tend to spur a good debate of stay or go. Some post to possibly get a list of Pros and Cons. This thread has listed a bunch. But it all boils down to the individual and their expectations.

There are an infinite set of variables.

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

ut in recent years; it's not cheap anymore, the xenophobia gets worse, the constant intrusion into our lives, is just beginning to tip the balance. I think it really got to me earlier this year when, after just after going to immigration to renew my extension, having to fill in the new personal info form, I got a visit from the local cops with yet another personal info form for me to fill in and take my picture. All just getting too much

IMHO, Thailand is still inexpensive. But again that depends entirely how one lives their life. If you are an easy going, non drinker, non bar goer no bar girl type then this place is extremely affordable along with not insisting on eating and living like the they did in the west.. One can have a nice place, eat well, engage in the local activities, have fun, enjoy some very good beach time when you want quite affordably, fish, ride mountain bikes, etc. The list of things to do here is really no different then where one likely came from just depends on if one wants to complain about it or go out and change their personal disposition.

As for the govt,  I feel zero intrusion into my life by the government. I have virtually no interaction with them on any level. Same as back in the west. Not sure how people get all riled up about govt and politics. Of course now in fairness I do not watch or read the news in any country. So maybe that's why I do not get spun up about petty things that I cannot change. I have better things to do. I know people that absolutely live for the news. Can't get enough. Can cite virtually every event going on. They are a nervous wreck, smoke and drink a lot can't sleep and do little else. To each their own.

As I have said, Anywhere you live is what one makes it. Its really that simple. I totally respect the people that want to move back to their home country. Its their life. Whats annoying are the ones that exit back and then come back and trash Thailand. There is really no value in it. Yes it spurs big controversial threads like this one but in the end, what was achieved? They aren't here any longer and they have spent an exorbitant amount of time trying to convince people that still live here in Thailand that they are the smarter ones because they "got out".  It was the right call....for them. Not all.

Edited by JAFO

12 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Do you have a boat in Thailand? 

I would be curious the comparison.

I discussed cost-of-living with my friends down there and it is a, "You get what you pay for" equation.

My experience with Thailand was its a, "You really don't get what you pay for it". I personally think the Thailand experience is worth qbout 60%-70% of what it costs me.

If I was looking to move from my lifetime home in CO then I would choose FL over Thailand 10 out of 10 times...I like to fish.

We were on the water every day and never had the issue you describe with boat traffic. 

Cheers

No boat in Thailand. No open water access where I live. I would choose Colorado over Florida. I like open spaces and mountains. Unfortunately the only place I ever want to see ice again is in my glass. I have a friend who moved from Krabi to  the boonies of Montana. He loves Montana. Good fishing and lots of wildlife.

I worked full time in Florida so the only time I had for boating was on the weekends. During the week there were far fewer boats. My boat had a good depth finder and a friend and I looked for good dive spots. I did enjoy Scuba diving. It's a huge ocean so no crowding out there.

Edited by Gary A