Rider ripped to pieces in 4am horror crash

snoop1130

Rider ripped to pieces in 4am horror crash

Winai Sarot

1_2016913161558722_UCUqQsZSbgYDKeQIqcHVYAPYFMSBqgAKiUBzNaRp_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- A motorbike rider was torn to pieces in a fatal 'ghost riding' collision on Thepkrasattri Road at about 4am today. 

Piroon Aka, 44, was driving home to Mai Khao when he was in a collision with motorcyclist Puriwat Sukbanjong, 32.

Mr Puriwat was dismembered in the smash and ended up in a grotesque heap on a grass verge – his left left leg ripped off below the knee and his left arm severed at the elbow.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Rider-ripped-pieces-4am-horror-crash/65559?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-13

At least the driver waited for the police and didn't flee the scene of the accident.

This has nearly happened to me a few times but not late at night. Motorcyclists driving towards me on the wrong side of the road and without lights.

Not long ago, one motorcyclist was driving on the wrong side of the road but had his lights on. The only trouble was that the idiot had coloured his headlight red. I was confused as to why I was catching him up so fast and suddenly he was in front of me.

I re-checked a definition of 'ghost riding':

which is basically described as driving along in a car,

with the door(s) hanging open,

with the occupant hanging freely out of the door,

with no hands on the steering wheel

How do you do that with a motorbike?

Was he standing up on his seat?

I always though the ghost riding referred to late night driving of a motor bike or even a car going the wrong way on the inside of the road to save doubling back and making a u-turn.

See it all the time with m/bikes flying at high speed the wrong way into oncoming traffic.

Edited by LivinginKata

48 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I always though the ghost riding referred to late night driving of a motor bike or even a car going the wrong way on the inside of the road to save doubling back and making a u-turn.

See it all the time with m/bikes flying at high speed the wrong way into oncoming traffic.

Yes, that was my thinking too.

I don't understand though why the car driver was charged with reckless driving.

11 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Yes, that was my thinking too.

I don't understand though why the car driver was charged with reckless driving.

Maybe it was that he had to make something up - really quick, to blame the bike.

Could have simply been a motorcycle without his headlights on, and wasn't seen?

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Looks like the car was travelling on the right lane and the motorcycle on the left...

Perhaps that photo was taken in USA?

3 hours ago, tifino said:

I re-checked a definition of 'ghost riding':

which is basically described as driving along in a car,

with the door(s) hanging open,

with the occupant hanging freely out of the door,

with no hands on the steering wheel

How do you do that with a motorbike?

Was he standing up on his seat?

Mr Piroon claimed that the motorcyclist was 'ghost riding' [driving south] along the northbound lane of the road near the Susco gas station in Baan Muang Mai,” said Thalang Police Maj Sanich Nookong.
“The car driver said the road was dark and that the motorcycle suddenly appeared, coming from the opposite direction, and smashed into his car.”

22 minutes ago, scotchonrocks said:

So why was the car driver charged under these circumstances where the motor cyclist is travelling up the wrong way.

My understanding is in the case of road deaths, the police charge first and then investigate later, dropping the charges if they become irrelevant. This also forces the charged person to come up with bail usually 100,000. This can be used as a bargaining chip for settlement later by the police.

All of the above does not apply if the driver is connected, an "actress", a scion of an industrial magnate, has a famous surname.....

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

It would be an unusual day out if I did not see an example of this.

I use a dual carriageway into Pattaya and one can never be sure which side the ghost riders will use.

“Mr Piroon claimed that the motorcyclist was 'ghost riding' [driving south] along the northbound lane of the road near the Susco gas station in Baan Muang Mai,” said Thalang Police Maj Sanich Nookong.

Ghost riding would be the proper term riding against traffic as you could end up being a ghost sooner than later. 

It true defining of 'Ghost Riding' for bikes; bicycle, motor bike, motorcycle, ghost riding refers to a riderless bike that is still moving.  Friends and I did it all the time growing up.  Come in for a stop but not stop the bike and hop off.  Bike would keep going and sometimes would crash spectacularly.  We tried to see who could get the best crash and furthest without falling down hoping off the moving bike. 

The more I read about these horrific motorcycle accidents, the less motorcycle taxis I ride on.  

Most travel insurance and major med policies no longer cover injuries sustained while riding on licensed motorcycle taxis.  

Something to to consider before you jump on one. You may be risking your life savings while you self insure.

Car taxis/BTS/MRT are safer and far less money considering the average medical costs from injuries sustained while riding motorcycle taxis.  :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, trogers said:

Looks like the car was travelling on the right lane and the motorcycle on the left...

Perhaps that photo was taken in USA?

Did you read the story? The motorcycle was driving on the wrong side of the road. Normal in Thailand but a little dangerous. Especially at night. And especially if he wasn't using lights (a guess), which is also normal here. But because he's dead the police are charging the innocent car driver with reckless driving (keeping to the correct side of the road) instead.

1 hour ago, thaigirlwatcher said:

Because the family of the motorcycle rider will want compensation. 

Perhaps the car driver can sue the motorcyclist's family for compensation for damage and trauma inflicted. Nothing to argue about if the dead man was driving on the wrong side of the road. Bang to rights, as they say.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read the story? The motorcycle was driving on the wrong side of the road. Normal in Thailand but a little dangerous. Especially at night. And especially if he wasn't using lights (a guess), which is also normal here. But because he's dead the police are charging the innocent car driver with reckless driving (keeping to the correct side of the road) instead.

I don't understand your confused mind. Driving on the wrong side and not using headlights is normal in Thailand, thus, the car driver is clearly in the wrong to crash into what is deemed normal driving in Thailand...

4 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

So why was the car driver charged under these circumstances where the motor cyclist is travelling up the wrong way.

My Thai friend says no matter what, the motorcycle has the right of way and the car driver is always charged. So ride a motorcycle at 4 am, probely drunk, no lights on, going the wrong way on the road and it will be the driver of the car doing nothing wrong that waits for the police rather than running, that gets charged with murder. Unbelievable!

Edited by bustit997
Typo

8 minutes ago, bustit997 said:

My Thai friend says no matter what, the motorcycle has the right of way and the car driver is always charged. So ride a motorcycle at 4 am, probely drunk, no lights on, going the wrong way on the road and it will be the driver of the car doing nothing wrong that waits for the police rather than running, that gets charged with murder. Unbelievable!

Welcome to Thailand!

I have to admit it gives me a sense of satisfaction to see one of those motorcycle maniacs ending up like that... I always wish they will when these idiots are racing in the streets at night as they often do. Problem is, in many cases they take innocent others with them. :(

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

The more I read about these horrific motorcycle accidents, the less motorcycle taxis I ride on.  

Most travel insurance and major med policies no longer cover injuries sustained while riding on licensed motorcycle taxis.  

Something to to consider before you jump on one. You may be risking your life savings while you self insure.

Car taxis/BTS/MRT are safer and far less money considering the average medical costs from injuries sustained while riding motorcycle taxis.  :thumbsup:

"Most travel insurance and major med policies no longer cover injuries sustained while riding on licensed motorcycle taxis.  "

Not true. Health insurance and most travel insurances will cover motorbike accidents, sometimes with the requirement (aimed at tourists) that the rider has a licence in home country or IDP.