Download Problems with Cumulative Update Version 1607 (KB3189866) x64

Pib

Today when trying to update my two Lenovo laptops running Win 10 Pro (64bit) the update/download process for KB3189866 would not proceed pass the 45 to 49% download process no matter how long I waited...in one case approx an hour.  And you couldn't get that download process to abort.   Even tried a couple of computer restarts to where it would then attempt the download again, but with the same result in the download process not proceeding pass the upper 40% range for KB3189866.  And since some other updates are included in the just released Windows updates by not being able to complete the download/install of KB3189866 the other updates were not even attempting to install...didn't get failed installed....they just didn't even attempt to install.  It was like the KB3189866 update had to download and install first before the other updates would attempt install although they apparently downloaded.

Did some googling and quickly saw this problem is affecting a lot of folks.  But the fix is simple...just manually download and install KB3189866 from the Microsoft Catalog.  Like save it to your desktop, then click on the file to start the install...after a few minutes and a reboot it has successfully installed.  Then go back to your Win 10 Update and you'll see Windows has now installed or begun installing the other updates.  After all of that gets done just click Check for Updates again and it should come back as you are all updated.  And when you look in the Update History you see the updates successfully installed.    It worked on both my laptops.

The below webpage tells you how to do it....you'll need Internet Explorer to use the Microsoft Catalog.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/63594-download-problems-cumulative-update-version-1607-kb3189866-x64-post810548.html#post810548

Glad it worked for you also.  From some more googling quite a few websites are filling up with comments where many people are having the same problem....that KB getting stuck in the 40 to 50% ball park.   And many comments of how doing it from the MS Catalog and doing a  manual install fixed the issue.

It is a BIG update file size wise....supposedly more of a major update/bugs fix vs the lesser important sounding name of cumulative update that MS gives such updates.   Maybe the Windows Update servers are choking on it's size combined with so many people updating...or just a buggy update meant to fix other bugs.   But bugs it fixes (some listed below) none of the bugs bothered my computers to the best of my knowledge.

September 13, 2016 — KB3189866 (OS Build 14393.187) 

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Improved reliability of Windows Shell, map apps, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
  • Addressed issue causing push-button reset to not work correctly and roll back on devices with language set to any of the Unicode languages.
  • Addressed issue causing devices to crash after disconnecting an e-reader that was attached to the device.
  • Addressed issue causing devices to not recognize a Secure Digital (SD) card if it is inserted and removed multiple times.
  • Addressed issue causing some apps to not respond to the commands in the app bar in Windows 10 Mobile.
  • Addressed issue that sometimes blocks alarm notifications in Windows 10 Mobile.
  • Improved support for using the camera app in Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise.
  • Addressed additional issues with rendering 4K resolution, missing Start menu tiles when running on battery, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Bluetooth compatibility, graphics, display rotation, app compatibility, Wi-Fi, Feedback Hub, Miracast, Windows Shell, revised daylight saving time, and USB.
  • Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, and Adobe Flash Player.

Edited by Pib

55 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Sorry if its a silly question but how does one get from Win10 ver 1511 to ver 1607?

My laptop says I'm on 1511 and up to date?

As I've said before, in my case, simply running MCT v10.0.14.14393.0 allowed a successful upgrade of W10 operating systems to current latest available version 1607.

I've just Googled this as I wasn't sure if MS was running two current versions of Win10 (1511 & 1607). It seems we will all get the 1607 (Anniversary) update eventually, but the updates are staggered rolling into November. Not a biggie for me so I'll just let Win10 take care of itself and carry on with 1511 for now.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-rollout-may-not-be-done-until-early-november/

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I've just Googled this as I wasn't sure if MS was running two current versions of Win10 (1511 & 1607). It seems we will all get the 1607 (Anniversary) update eventually, but the updates are staggered rolling into November. Not a biggie for me so I'll just let Win10 take care of itself and carry on with 1511 for now.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-rollout-may-not-be-done-until-early-november/

My NUC was the 1st device I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 10, but my other PC's already got upgraded to 1607 but the NUC still is on 1511 :whistling:

Edited by MJCM

6 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Sorry if its a silly question but how does one get from Win10 ver 1511 to ver 1607?

My laptop says I'm on 1511 and up to date?

Just go to the below MS website and click on the link, the "Join the Celebration, get the Windows Anniversary Update Today" link.  It will quickly download an install file, click on that install file and follow the instructions.   It's basically like a manual update vs waiting for it to occur through the normal update process.

Keep in mind this is a BIG update (file size and features wise) so set aside an hour or so for the download and install process.   This is how I upgraded one of my Lenovo laptops from 1511 to 1607 as I didn't want to wait for it to hopefully show up for my laptop over the coming days...weeks....or maybe 3 months.  The install went without any problems (your results may vary).  My other Lenovo laptop got the update through the normal update process within the first few days of 1607 release and it went without hitch also.   Don't know the rhyme or reason or how MS determines "when" you get the update (i.e., your computer's position in the queue).   Basically you can go to the front of the line and get the update now by using below link....remember, set aside at least an hour...two would be safer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3176929

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Just go to the below MS website and click on the link, the "Join the Celebration, get the Windows Anniversary Update Today" link.  It will quickly download an install file, click on that install file and follow the instructions.   It's basically like a manual update vs waiting for it to occur through the normal update process.

Keep in mind this is a BIG update (file size and features wise) so set aside an hour or so for the download and install process.   This is how I upgraded one of my Lenovo laptops from 1511 to 1607 as I didn't want to wait for it to hopefully show up for my laptop over the coming days...weeks....or maybe 3 months.  The install went without any problems (your results may vary).  My other Lenovo laptop got the update through the normal update process within the first few days of 1607 release and it went without hitch also.   Don't know the rhyme or reason or how MS determines "when" you get the update (i.e., your computer's position in the queue).   Basically you can go to the front of the line and get the update now by using below link....remember, set aside at least an hour...two would be safer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3176929

Thanks for that. I'll have to go for it now then as its a massive download, as last thing I need is for this to happen when I am travelling with laptop.

Now I am through with the update.

Download was through quickly, but I left the PC alone when I saw "progress" after restart (creeping).

Some bells and whistles changed, that's all I found for now.

Almost lost my beloved "netspeedmonitor" (incompatible with Win 10).

In the previous version it was easy to select and run in Win7 mode.

Now this compatibility stuff seems totally changed.

Could not find a way to do a manual selection anymore. Annoying :bah:

But as it had been installed before the update I simply started the thing manually and selected the network adapter. Now it works.

If it had not been installed before: no way. Strange.

Looking forward to the next problems :lol:

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 15/09/2016 at 5:29 PM, MJCM said:

My NUC was the 1st device I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 10, but my other PC's already got upgraded to 1607 but the NUC still is on 1511 :whistling:

2 days after I wrote this, my NUC received the 1607 update via WU :w00t:

Maybe MS also reads TV :lol:

5 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

^^if yew got a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader plug it into yer updated laptop and watch what happens...

whoever is responsible for the Kindle blue screen outrage must be punished!...with extreme prejudice!!!

hmm...I just now got the KB3189866 update and the Kindle Paperwhite issue seems to have disappeared...

did someone say that MS reads TV (my previous post was earlier today)?

MS are omnipotent...

Edited by tutsiwarrior