TrueOnline New Promotion for 50/10 Internet Plan (big price drop)

Pib

14 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Oh, now that's an interesting take on the "no-True-above-3rd-floor" rule.  When I lived in Jomtien (and I will be returning there in a couple months) I was repeatedly told at True shops that they would not install internet above the third floor.  What Pib says is intriguing, since the high-rise building in which I'm going to be living routinely has maintenance staff run new connection lines directly from the building's distribution point to individual condo units upon request (for a fee.)  Now, to see if I can effectively communicate that to the True staff.

I tried many times to talk sense to the staff in True shops about this. It's pointless. Over 3rd floor? "Cannot." They just wont even consider it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question to anyone listening in and living in a high-rise condo/apartment building on the 4th floor or above:  Do you have a True internet plan (fiber, DOCSIS, or xDSL)?   And just to be clear this would not include True internet via 3G/4G or wide area Wifi.

And in your answer including the part of Thailand you live in and floor level you live on would be nice and maybe include what floor you live on.

Asking since in this thread quite a few folks say True will not install/provide internet above the 3d floor in Pattaya.   I just find in mind bogging that True would exclude such a huge potential customer base of people living on the 4th floor and above in the many, many high rises in Pattaya, Bangkok, and other location around Thailand.   And I just know these 4th floor and higher folks have internet plans...hopefully some True plans.   Just curious. 

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This may be related to your specific building or location? I know several people who live well above the 3rd floor and have TrueVisions, and TrueOnline service. Now mobile phone service is another story.

The crazy thing is i do have Truevisions with cable from a dish on the ground floor to my condo but True will not even discuss getting internet.

30 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The crazy thing is i do have Truevisions with cable from a dish on the ground floor to my condo but True will not even discuss getting internet.

That's probably because TrueVisions is being provided via satellite (DSTV) as you said and not  via DOCSIS (a.k.a., cable) line as DOCSIS can carry both internet and TV.    

Up until mid 2011 in my western Bangkok moobaan you could only get TrueVisions via satellite dish and TrueOnline did not service our moobaan with internet.   My internet choices were only: TOT, TOT, or TOT.     Then True installed a DOCSIS trunk  throughout the moobaan.  When it went operational, I dropped TrueVisions Satellite and TOT and switched to TrueVisions Cable (CATV) and TrueOnline internet both provided over the DOCSIS line.   Just one line running into my house carrying both TV and internet....not fiber, a DOCSIS cable line.

Now a DOCSIS trunk line is like a "fat" TV cable about 3/4" in diameter with amplifiers, switches, and taps along the way.   To connect your residence to that fat DOCSIS line they hook a regular pencil diameter TV cable  from a DOCSIS line tap and run it to their cable modem in your residence.   Or in a building, just hook into the regular cable TV wiring running throughout the building...but the building management would need to switch from satellite to cable TV to make this work assuming there was a True DOCSIS/cable TV trunk line available to tap into the building....that would be up to building management to make that switch.

Edited by Pib

18 hours ago, wpcoe said:

True requires a 12-month contract, but if you move they will transfer your service to a new location under the same contract, if they have service in that area.  Are you staying in Thailand after the seven months, or leaving the country?

I haven't had 3BB for several years, but reports I've read here even since I stopped using them say that foreigners must pre-pay the first year's service in advance upon signing the contract.  If you have a Thai wife, or other Thai friend maybe, you might avoid that?  If so, I'm not sure about the length of a non-foreigner contract.

Thanks, the problem is that I live 7-8 months in Bangkok and the rest in Europe. Every time I need a new contract if the condo I rent does not have Internet installed from before.

I have only thai girlfriend.

I also see claims here that TRUE does not install Internet above 3rd condo floor. Well, a year ago I was using TRUE internet from my 23rd floor condo, but it was installed already when I arrived there.

The interesting thing is that my rent agent told me I would be able to get 6 months contract... Now I'm confused.

I had True at the apartment but Netflix was a problem, constantly buffering and stopping. Changed to AIS and Netflix works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm seeing this mentioned a lot concerning True and I think I was having a "throttling" problem with True Fibre getting a speed test result of 45/3mb 45ms to Singapore. I tried a VPN and my streaming improved, maybe time for an ISP change.

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

I also see claims here that TRUE does not install Internet above 3rd condo floor. Well, a year ago I was using TRUE internet from my 23rd floor condo, but it was installed already when I arrived there.

The operative word is "here". If "here" is Pattaya/Jomtien then in my experience True wont even consider installing any internet service (ADSL, cable, fibre) above the third floor in a condo. But in Bangkok it seems that there is no such problem. Could it be to do with the fact that Bangkok is sinking?

The whole thing becomes even more bizarre given that in order to install cables in most condo buildings you dont even need a ladder as they are invariably built with service conduits between the floors. So a step-ladder is all you would ever need. You certainly never need to clamber around outside the building which presumably makes them perfectly safe to work in even on the 50th floor.

Maybe they will not install if they have to string new cable all the way from the ground/basement floor to a condo on the 4th or higher floor.  But if the building is already wired and all they have to do is hook to the ground/basement floor building junction box they will install internet.  And where I say building junction box I mean whatever central point in the building has for incoming telecommunications/TV wiring be it copper or fiber....then from that junction point the appropriate wiring is already in place to all floors.   Expect it varies from building to building as how modern of telecommunications wiring was originally built into the building (or retrofitted/upgraded).

Edited by Pib

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The operative word is "here". If "here" is Pattaya/Jomtien then in my experience True wont even consider installing any internet service (ADSL, cable, fibre) above the third floor in a condo. But in Bangkok it seems that there is no such problem. Could it be to do with the fact that Bangkok is sinking?

:lol:

Another twist on getting internet to a condo in central Jomtien:  When I was investigating earlier this year, one of the places I asked was View Talay Residence 3.  They gals in the office there were very easy to get along with and said I could install any provider I wanted in any unit in the building (contrasted to some other buildings that were locked into a single provider).  When I asked about True specifically, they said sure, if True wanted to install they (the condo office) would let them, but that said that True did not have any available internet lines in the area.  She wasn't sure if other areas of central Jomtien had any,  but was doubtful.  I thought that was strange that True wouldn't have any lines available in the area.  There are *thousands* of potential customers in that area.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Maybe they will not install if they have to string new cable all the way from the ground/basement floor to a condo on the 4th or higher floor.  But if the building is already wired and all they have to do is hook to the ground/basement floor building junction box they will install internet.  And where I say building junction box I mean whatever central point in the building has for incoming telecommunications/TV wiring be it copper or fiber....then from that junction point the appropriate wiring is already in place to all floors.   Expect it varies from building to building as how modern of telecommunications wiring was originally built into the building (or retrofitted/upgraded).

That has been my thinking as well.  Maybe True has been burnt before where they wired up to the building connection point but then couldn't get a signal in the condo unit and it became a finger-pointing blame game as to whether the problem was the ISP's line to the building or the condo's line within the building.  I'd like to think the ISP installation guys and the condo maintenance guys could work together, but I've certainly been proven to be naïve before.  After all how do 3BB, TOT, etc manage to install in high-rise condos?

On 9/17/2016 at 0:16 AM, lamyai3 said:

I saw this the other day too. They do mention it's fibre, though in my case True only has copper cable to my soi. Wondering whether a 50/10 connection through True is faster in practice than a slower connection through AIS (which is definitely fibre)?

3BB also is doing 50/10 for 700 baht, VDSL. 

That's what I was going to caution about as well. IMHO, True has been pretty misleading about calling their service "Super Speed Fiber" when in a lot of their areas, perhaps even most, it's really still mostly coaxial cable routing.

Here in Bangkok, they used to simply call it High Speed Cable, and then swiched to calling it Super Speed Fiber. And maybe they do have fiber in some parts of their system. But last time I was talking with True Online, the areas of BKK where they actually had FTTH (Fiber to the Home Service) were few and far between.

As for some of the issues raised above:

VPNs: True and 3BB internet services definitely do seem to benefit from using a good VPN in terms of improving your international bandwidth speeds. But from the results Pib and a few others have posted, that doesn't seem to be the case so much with AIS's fiber, which right now, seems to provide good international speeds without the need of a VPN.

Service terms: True and 3BB both typically want 1 year service contracts if you're starting a new service. At least with 3BB, you're not locked into making the monthly payments if you need to cancel early. But they will charge a penalty amounting to the normal cost of their install (if you got the install for free as is normally the case), and the normal cost of their cabling run (which also usually is free).

3BB Pay in Advance: It's true that 3BB seems to have a policy that farang customers are required to pre-pay their first entire year of internet service. But the easy way around that is to just have the service put in the name of some Thai -- a wife, GF or whatever. The bill can still come to you and you can pay it. But that way, it'll just be paying month to month from the outset.

I had True Online internet for many years, and when it worked, it worked OK for a reasonable price, especially under their various combo packages like the new one mentioned in the OP. But a lot of the time, they really are bad about customer service in terms of not showing up for scheduled appointments, not making promised return phone calls, and their service calls techs having very minimal tech knowledge and virtually no English speaking capacity.

In the end, I switched to 3BB 100/10 fiber when it finally became available on my soi for two reasons: 1) as Pib mentioned above, True until now had totally priced itself out of the 50-100 Mbps internet plans market, and 2] I had a technical problem that suddenly surfaced with my True service (horrible upload speeds) that True simply failed to fix at all over a period of months despite many service calls, replacing routers, replacing cable, etc etc.

Now with 3BB 100/10, for the most part, no problems at all.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, Pib said:

That could be the case in some buildings, but in my building our own technicians usually install the phone and cable TV lines from ground level to the condo unit. So all True would have to do is provide the signal to the entry point at ground level, which is what all the other ADSL/VDSL/cable providers do also. There are some special arrangements for fibre: the building technicians just let the ISP technicians get on with it as our technicians simply dont have the tools or the knowledge.

I certainly dont see that it could possibly justify a blanket "cannot" when other ISPs seem to have no problems. It's just True being weird.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

When I asked about True specifically, they said sure, if True wanted to install they (the condo office) would let them, but that said that True did not have any available internet lines in the area.  She wasn't sure if other areas of central Jomtien had any,  but was doubtful.  I thought that was strange that True wouldn't have any lines available in the area.  There are *thousands* of potential customers in that area.

That could be the case for the phone lines used by ADSL (and by VDSL, at least partially). However it could not be the case for FTTH or FTTB, unless True simply had no fibre at all in the area.

Given that they seem to ask what floor before saying "cannot" one can only assume that for low floors the answer might be "can", which of course implies that they must have lines or fibre supplying the building.

Getting a correct answer from a Thai Internet Service Provider (ISP) as to whether they provide internet service to your area or building has been a problem forever based on posts I read on ThaiVisa over the years...and also my personal experience.  Heck, I had the same problem with AIS in getting their AIS Fibre service installed close to 3 months ago now....got it installed on 1 July....been happy since.

Around a year ago while the Thai wife and I were walking our dogs around the moobaan we came by an installation crew  with no company name on their trucks or clothes installing a fiber optics trunk line around main sois in my moobaan.  We asked who the fiber was for?...clear one word answer was AIS.  I even looked at them and repeated "AIS?" and they said yes.  

I was overjoyed as that meant I would hopefully soon have another choice in ISPs as currently my only choices were TOT ADSL (up to 20Mb) and True Cable (up to at least 100Mb but with very pricey costs above 30Mb plans)....and up till True installed the cable in the moobaan I only had a choice of TOT ADSL up to 6Mb at that pre-True time.   While I had been True Cable since mid 2011 and totally satisfied with its up time I really wanted a plan "faster" than 30Mb at a "fair" price...but True Cable/Fiber (Super Speed) plans over 30Mb were just ridiculously expensive.   But the hope of maybe soon being able to get high speed fiber service, maybe up to 100Mb (or more) and at a fair price did indeed make me happy.

I kept an eye open for advertisement/signup booths popping up around the moobaan for AIS Fibre signup....that would mean they went operational in the moobaan.  That's what True did after taking around 18 months to install the True Cable system in my moobaan in 2010 thru mid 2011.  But no AIS flyers ever appeared.  So it was probably around Apr/May 16 when I first called AIS about do they have internet service to my moobaan yet...answer was No. Called again a week later just to talk to a different rep...same answer of No.  Then their website started allowing you to check their service area for coverage in your area but the site didn't work very well, but always indicated no coverage yet for my moobaan.

In mid June I called AIS to ask the service question...the rep sent a good 10 minutes in researching...answer was no.   About week later I checked their website again for coverage and seemed to get an answer of Yes.   Next day I called AIS again and this different rep also spent around 10 minutes researching and he said it appeared there is now coverage in my area.  I said thanks and I'll go to an AIS Service Center to check and sign up if they indeed do have coverage.  But so far, there had not been any flyers/signup booths appearing in my moobaan. 

I went to a large AIS Service Center and two reps spent 10 minutes while I was watching them check their computer system for if AIS Fibre was now in my moobaan which is a very large moobaan of around 750 homes.    The answer was Yes....and I did the signup for the 50/10 plan...no advance payment...no year in advance payment...and I even got a 50% discount for the first three months service.  

Several days later the installation crew showed up along with a trainee crew for some On the Job training as they were expanding the number of install crews.  These two crews showed up in a regular little compact car and old truck, pulled their folding ladder out of the car trunk, unloaded installation material from the old truck, and the truck left.  But they did have shirts with a little AIS patch on it.  Two males and four females. 

During the several hours it took them to string the fiber around 250 meters to my home I had the Thai wife ask them in Thai how long they had been providing service in my moobaan.   They said since around April/May but there had only been a few installs on the other side of the moobaan and I was the first on my side but it had been available for my side since Apr/May also.    We asked why they hadn't been advertising with flyers/signup booths around the moobaan...the install crew couldn't answer that question as they were not in sales...they just installed.   Since my install I see there are a few other folks close to me who have go AIS Fibre...one right on my same 10 home soi....so now 2 people on my 10 home soi has AIS.

Now since them AIS has still not put up in flyers/signup booths around my moobaan...nor flyers showing up in your mailbox like True did years back along the the True signup booths coming every weekend for around a month.   Guess AIS wants to just rely on people using the their website, word of mouth, and/or contacting ab AIS service center/shop.

Yeap, it can be hard to get a good answer in response to "Do you provide service to my address?   Lord knows I've got plenty over the years.   And I expect when it comes to service to high-rises I'm sure the answers can get even more confusing due to various factors that don't face a standalone house install.    Combine that with the major to minor miscommunications that happen all the time due to the Thai-English or Thai-XYZ language obstacle and you have a recipe for confusion, frustration, and bad info.  TIT.

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I thought that was strange that True wouldn't have any lines available in the area.  There are *thousands* of potential customers in that area.

Sometimes phone/internet companies have exclusive rights to an area or building.  Call it little Communications Kingdoms.  

Even if an internet provider want to service an area/building, they may not be allowed to by the government and/or moobaan/building management.

When I first moved into my large western Bangkok moobaan (am upscale moobaan) eight years ago my only choice of internet providers was TOT, TOT, and TOT.    Summary: only TOT low speed ADSL.  

That didn't change until around 5 years ago when True was allowed to install DOCSIS/cable internet and TV.  I immediately switched to True cable internet as did almost every one based on all the cable lines I see running to homes.   Then AIS Fibre came to my moobaan mid 2016.  So now I do have three internet provider choices: TOT, True, and AIS.  And what is strange 3BB provides fiber internet "right outside/around" my moobaan but do not provide service within my moobaan.  

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's what I was going to caution about as well. IMHO, True has been pretty misleading about calling their service "Super Speed Fiber" when in a lot of their areas, perhaps even most, it's really still mostly coaxial cable routing.

Here in Bangkok, they used to simply call it High Speed Cable, and then swiched to calling it Super Speed Fiber. And maybe they do have fiber in some parts of their system. But last time I was talking with True Online, the areas of BKK where they actually had FTTH (Fiber to the Home Service) were few and far between.

Actually they do have both and are not always clear.  We had 3 or 4 different install teams here prior to install of FTTH.  One pointed out nearest point would be hi speed cable but if pay for few hundred meters they could draw from another soi for FTTH - another team only mentioned close point not saying it was not FTTH - another team only mentioned pulling from other soi and team used offered both at pull about 30% of cost others wanted.  Talking directly with office was even more confusing with never twice the same story.  

A lot of these teams they send out to install/repair are not fulltime employees of the ISP but contract employees of small companies.   And some of the teams' salary is based on installs accomplished per day....and I expect whatever extra they might be able to earn during the install like a special installation...stringing additional line...etc.   Like mentioned earlier the two AIS teams that showed up for my install showed up in an old compact car and small pickup  truck with no logos of any kind on the vehicles...expect it was their personal vehicles and they got a little extra for using their own vehicles.   And the folding ladder they pulled out of the car trunk to install the fiber up on the poles was a sad, unsafe looking thing to climb on.   And only some of them had a small AIS patch on their shirt.  But they are all nice and talkative. 

However, but, they did have special testing/installation equipment for the fiber optics hookup and seemed to know what they were doing especially when measuring the optical power level and insuring they made good optical connections all along the fiber run.  In fact, when installing the connector to be plugged into the optical router, the installer didn't like the power measurement he got with the optical power meter...he changed the connector and go another 0.5dbm in power and was happy.   

I have an electronics back ground and even worked for a telecommunications company for around a year and used some of the same type optical test equipment the AIS installers used....so, although their "appearance" (i.e., lack of uniforms, no company vehicles, unsafe looking ladder, etc) might not give a person a warm-fuzzy they did do a good job in the installation all the way from the junction point on the trunk like to my house 230 meters and half a dozen light poles away...I watched them that whole 230 meters...from pole to pole and in the house.    Heck, I even had pre-drilled the home through the window wooden frame for them to put the fiber cable through....they thought that was great....I only did it to ensure a nice looking hole was made and my glass was not broken.

As nice to know info, just before they installed the fiber connector inside the house that then plugs into the router and before they made an optical power measurement at that connector I asked the tech what was the desired Input/Receive optical power level.  The technician said a -18dbm to -25dbm.   I wanted to know that before he did any measurement to ensure I was getting a good signal level that is critical for a good fiber, cable, or xDLSL.   And his first measurement with the optical power meter was a -21.6dbm but he didn't like that and changed the connector and then got -21.1dbm....that made him happy since that was a increase of 0.5 dbm in power and was probably referring that power level to the power level at the junction box 230 meters up the soi.    He had made a power measurement at the junction box before they began stringing the fiber to my house.  Power loss over a 230 meter fiber run would be close to nothing...around 0.1db.  For a single-mode fiber like they were using a 1000 meter run would only incur around 0.5db power loss...again very little. Fiber can be strung for long distances with very little power loss.  And when the tech plugs that fiber connector into your optical modem there is going to be maybe around a 0.5dbm loss of power there....so a -21.6dbm was hitting the router's optical receiver at that point of time on that day.   Pretty much right in the middle of their desired -18 to -25dbm range for router receive power.

See this link for more info on fiber optics power loss due to length, connectors, splices, etc.   Whether True, 3BB, etc., have the same desired router input power levels for their equipment is unknown....I'm sure it varies depending on each network/type of equipment used/etc. 

But now armed with this "desired input power level" info I periodically go into my router setup menu to check what it's saying for receive power....since installation on 1 July it has always been between a -22.2 to -22.7dbm rain or shine....usually closer to a -22.2dbm.   Considering accuracy differences between the pricey power meter they tech was using for that one measuremenst and the cheap built-in power meter circuity in the router, it quite understandable my router's power reading was a little different from his power meter on that day.   See below snapshot from my router I did a few minutes ago...and the snapshot also shows the acceptable input power range of a -25 to -8dbm for this particular Hauwei router.   A person might think being closer to the stronger reference power level (i.e., the -8dbm) would be better but not so as that could cause early burnout of the optical receive and actually cause the speed to slow down and you would even get a worst Signal-to-Noise ratio.  Stronger is not always better.  I also see the router transmit power is pretty much dead center of the reference values. 

Capture.JPG

Peroidically 

I am considered canceling my my True gold (satellite) package and go over to the 50/10mb/s deal with a family package on top.

My friend in the village got True e-net and he is quite happy with it, working most of the time (Pattaya).

My e-net provider; Banlamung cable TV gives me 12mb/s and a shitty Thai TV only (not HD) for about 700 baht per month, we uses for the TV upstairs. They are pretty stable for the 6 years I had them, soo.

Problem is that I leave the country on Thursday for 2 month overseas work so perhaps I should wait and hope they still got a good deal in Nov/Dec?

I expect the True 50/10Mb new pricing is their new "standard" price; not a short term promotion.   Just too many competitors offering 50Mb to 100Mb plans in the Bt700 to Bt1200 range for True not to finally lower their prices for their similar speed plans at least up to 50Mb.  

Can't speak to True 100Mb and up plans current pricing which was very pricey before....and now not even advertised on their website anymore (or at least I couldn't find it).  To see the old plans/prices you have to google up old advertisements/images.  Their plans going all the way up to 1000Mb use to be advertised on the same page where they advertised their 15Mb and up plans.  I'm sure they still have plans "above" 50Mb but I bet they are still very pricey...no doubt a conscious  business decision by True.

I'm wondering about the 1 year contract for new customers. I'm thinking of going with AIS for 20/7 Mb internet plan, I see they have promotion for new customers and the price is 590 thb/month if you sign up for 1 year. Installation is free.

Now since I'm farang, they will want me to pay for full year immediately? I guess they want to protect themselves for event when farang used Internet for, say, 4-5 months and then leaves the country without notice and without saying anything :)

Did you guys had experience with that? What would happen if you sign up for this plan, say, your thai girlfriend signs you up (so you don't have to pay for full year) and then you leave after 6-7 months, etc.?

I'll be staying in Thailand just for 7 months and I see the cancellation cost would be about 4000 thb if I don't use 12 months. I wonder if it's possible to avoid this cancellation cost somehow.

Appreciate any advice.

When I signed up for the AIS Fibre 50/10 plan in July (a 1 year plan), no advance payment was required.  I paid nothing on the day of signup, nothing on day of installation, nor any installation charge on my first bill.   Summary: zero advance payment and installation charges.

Well talked to True today and they will not transfer my existing gold/satellite contract to the internet package and if I cancel (paid until Apr 2017) I will loose what the remaining subscription is worth. The nice polite lady told us they are not allowed to transfer from/to satellite/cable i-net. I am not willing to do that so we will keep our gold satellite package until the contract runs out and then go over to the 50/10MB+ some kind of package deal on top. Gold +50/10MB will be 2599 per month but nothing decided yet.

She also told us that current promotion (as Pib also said) will likely be a permanent one. She then further told us that our village in Pattaya can get the 50/10MB but by normal cable, not fiber optics, but she said no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like True has changed their 50/10 promotion for Bt899 promotion to a 50/20 promotion for Bt899......increased the upload speed from 10 to 20Mb.  To me that implies their 50/10 promotion (which was a big price drop for True) was not having much of an impact against the AIS and 3BB fiber promotions. 

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349

Capture.JPG

if you have a phone line in your condo and it is connected to the cable room on the ground floor of your condo building then strictly speaking True is connecting you to the ground floor of your building even if you live on the 20th floor, all the condo services need to do then is connect the incoming cable from True (phone line) to the correct line to your room, obviously fibre will be different and will require a new optical cable run to your condo cable room from your room

If you already have a working phone in your high floor condo then it is very simple to switch on DSL on that line - the floor you live on is of no consequence (tell them you live on the ground floor lol) but anyway 3BB is better provider "at the moment"  

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to TrueOnline website and they have a "new" promotion....now a promotion for 100/30Mb including TV channels, a mobile SIM and landline for Bt1,399/mo (not include 7% VAT).  That promotion/big price drop was not there around a week ago.   And it was only a month or two ago True came out with their 50/10 promotion at Bt899 (around a four fold price drop), then a month or so later changed it to 50/20 still at Bt899, and now a 100/30 plan at BT1,399....all plans with TV channels, mobile data, and landline.   3BB, AIS, and other ISPs fiber competition must be forcing True to lower prices very significantly on their internet plans.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349?ln=en

Capture.JPG