Embankment collapse blamed for causing flooding in Sukhothai

rooster59

Embankment collapse blamed for causing flooding in Sukhothai

1609007-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SUKHOTHAI:-- Collapse of the left side of the embankment of the Yom river was blamed for causing flooding in downtown Sukhothai, Mr Suthep Noipairote, director-general of Royal Irrigation Department, disclosed on Friday.

He said that the Yom river did not overflow, but the embankment on the left side of the river leaked and eventually collapsed, causing the rising river to gush out and inundated the municipal area.

He said a backhoe had been employed to fix the broken embankment and the repairs were expected to be completed by Friday after which four water pumps which have been installed by the Royal Irrigation Department would start pumping water out of the township Friday night.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/embankment-collapse-blamed-causing-flooding-sukhothai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-17

When he say that the Yom had not over flow but the embankment collapsed it is a little misleading as I would not call a 5-10cm thick concrete wall on top of the embankment for the  embankment...

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/1609004.jpg

The municipality, court and so on don't have so much dammage as they are not built flat on the ground but the prison, police station and my friends house is in a little worse situation.
My friends house was a traditional Thai raised house built on stilts but this year they have built additional rooms under the old house... Today when I talked with them they estimated that they will have to spend at least 300,000 Baht to repair whats broken and replace what they can't repair (a lot of wood work).

Bike for Mom last year.
11838988_1616647105257061_59650249821778