Foreigner hospitalised following Phuket big bike crash

rooster59

Foreigner hospitalised following Phuket big bike crash

Eakkapop Thongtub

1474099687_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A foreign man was taken to Patong Hospital this afternoon (Sept 17) after crashing his big bike at a bend on the Patong to Kamala route close to the Baan Kamala Muslim Cemetery.

Capt Prasert Thongprom of the Kamala Police was called to respond to an accident near Baan Kamala Muslim Cemetery (Kubo Mutsaam) at 12:40pm. It was reported that a big bike rider had lost control of his bike and crashed into a roadside traffic barrier.

The driver, who police have yet to identify, was found unconscious next an electricity pylon close to the cemetery wall and had suffered injuries to his left arm and head. He was taken to the emergency room at Patong Hospital police were told.

Upon arrival at the scene, police found a wrecked red plate Honda big bike leaning against a traffic barrier, scrapes were clearly visible along the barrier. Police said they found no helmet at the scene.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreigner-hospitalised-following-phuket-big-bike-crash-59149.php#6pqj9MqQI3lc4jPT.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-18

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sticker on the front mudguard, it looks like a rental big bike.

It seems to be a CB 650 F. With 86 horsepower, this is not a bike for beginners.

The front forks look to have been replaced. Was this due to a previous crash or suspension upgrade? The red plate may be related to a reluctance on the part of the rental company to legally register the bike, if it is a rental.

Australian man, 37, dies after big bike crash in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1474107671_1.jpg

The man lost control of the bike causing his bike to hit the roadside traffic barrier. Photo: Kamala rescue workers

PHUKET: An Australian man who crashed his big bike into a roadside traffic barrier in Kamala earlier today (Sept 17) has succumbed to his injuries The Phuket News has learned.

A staff member from Patong Hospital, who declined to be named, confirmed that the 37-year-old man (name withheld until his family have been notified) succumbed to his injuries whilst in the hospital’s emergency room.

Capt Prasert Thongprom of the Kamala Police was called to respond to an accident near Baan Kamala Muslim Cemetery (Kubo Mutsaam) at 12:40pm today. It was reported that a big bike rider had lost control of his bike and crashed into a roadside traffic barrier.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-man-37-dies-after-big-bike-crash-in-phuket-59152.php#xiUt1dB3oZBu5qfE.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-18

I am wondering why the story says it is a Honda but it looks like a Yamaha badge on the tank.

If so, it is likely to be an MT - 07 or an MT - 09. The MT - 09 with 115 HP and a very sensitive throttle is a very sporty bike. Absolutely not for people who do not know what they are doing.

Its a shame the guy died and a waste of life

But I don't have any sympathy for him, no helmet, shorts etc, you're  just asking for trouble 

Edited by Caps

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Whci ID, Honda or Yamaha?

I am going with the Yamaha.

I was initially misled by the story (I should have known better) which specified the bike is a Honda.

The badge on the tank (which is only partially visible) and the distinctive gold forks and gold wheels are the MT - 07 or MT - 09.

The  wide road in Kamala and its new extension is not known as the 'Kamala Racetrack 'for nothing. People on big bikes go racing up and down and its just a matter of time before fate takes its wages.  Why accelerate like crazy at the Oh, la la lights just to do rapid gear changes 100m down the road into the Aussie pub- no one else cares about your posing. Personally , if I had a small penis i would not advertise the fact!

For those of us who live along the road and have to suffer the boy racers (and more often than not middle aged farang racers)  i have no sympathy when they thunder in. They do not give a toss about  other people.

10 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The  wide road in Kamala and its new extension is not known as the 'Kamala Racetrack 'for nothing. People on big bikes go racing up and down and its just a matter of time before fate takes its wages.  Why accelerate like crazy at the Oh, la la lights just to do rapid gear changes 100m down the road into the Aussie pub- no one else cares about your posing. Personally , if I had a small penis i would not advertise the fact!

For those of us who live along the road and have to suffer the boy racers (and more often than not middle aged farang racers)  i have no sympathy when they thunder in. They do not give a toss about  other people.

No they don't and I have no sympathy either. Its rather indicative of the younger generation. They race up and down outside our condo after the BIB roll up the rug and go home. 

Briggsy: it's an MT-09, you can see that by the air intakes, forks and the tank.

This bike is a little beast and if you are not an experienced rider, then it will likely bite you in your sorry ass. 115hp and 87Nm toreque are no slouch.

They rent them out in Patong and I see tons of renters going around without proper gear or even just a helmet. I'd say 90% of people that I see there on these rented MT09 drive helmetless and are taking crazy risks.

Why does the Phuket News again get the basic facts like the company of the bike wrong? It's as simple as reading the big badge on it. Every single time something like this. I don't get it. I just notice it because I'm into bikes but it makes you wonder what else is always wrong.

0k9El7t.jpg

Edited by eisfeld

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

If so, it is likely to be an MT - 07 or an MT - 09. The MT - 09 with 115 HP and a very sensitive throttle is a very sporty bike. Absolutely not for people who do not know what they are doing.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Briggsy: it's an MT-09, you can see that by the air intakes, forks and the tank.

This bike is a little beast and if you are not an experienced rider, then it will likely bite you in your sorry ass. 115hp and 87Nm toreque are no slouch.

They rent them out in Patong and I see tons of renters going around without proper gear or even just a helmet. I'd say 90% of people that I see there on these rented MT09 drive helmetless and are taking crazy risks.

0k9El7t.jpg

=Briggsy= and =Esifeld= are right, a beast that MT-09

I drove a rented Yamaha MT-09 on Phukets roads and through this curve last year,
maybe the same motorbike? from Patong Soi Namyen shop. 
Also I am experienced since nearly 40 years and drove even stronger bikes, the new injection systems and intense fast throttle reaction surprised me.
Was fun, but for me for Thai every day traffic a bit much. 

6 hours ago, Living in a cartoon said:

A cautionary tale. Never ride a motorbike/motorcycle anywhere, in LOS or anywhere else. Modern vehicles with four wheels are a much safer choice.

Feel free to flame if you wish.

I agree but some people can't afford a four wheel vehicle and not in all circumstances are songtaues or taxis available,

2 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Here a funny and less experienced driver,

Test rides a Yamaha MT-09 after 8 min he starts to give a bit more throttle and is surprised too. 

A 34 minute video about a bike? 49 seconds was enough for me.

8 hours ago, Living in a cartoon said:

A cautionary tale. Never ride a motorbike/motorcycle anywhere, in LOS or anywhere else. Modern vehicles with four wheels are a much safer choice.

Feel free to flame if you wish.

20 years ago when I reside in Bangkok I had a motorbike, I had on average 20% chance of an accident or or a minor mishap each trip