Why do they do it?

cheapskatesam

'socks and sandals seniors brigade' ...... Guess I should join them, every visit to the Hospital I get told off for not wearing socks... often wondered if the socks and sandals seniors I see are Diabetics and being good..?

Tomorrow at the Hospital again,  blood tests and Diabetes Dr,  then to the Hospital  shoes maker,  for Diabetic sandals,  sure they will tell me off again  for not wearing socks...   did notice that most Thais in the Diabetic Centre wear socks and sandals...  I do have an excuse sort of, take size 13 or 47 UK size shoes, all my socks are size 13-15 UK size,  the only thing that sort of fits that I can wear here when my feet are swollen is size 44 croc's.... which are far to small add socks would be impossible to even wear them.. bare foot is 100% a No No anywhere for Diabetics 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

i'm not against elephant pants per se its just weird all the backpacker farangs have to wear the same thing. It's embarrassing. 

When in Thailand i just wear shorts and t-shirt of a random variety just as i would if i were on my hols in Spain or Turkey.

When i want to make a good impression and potentially go to bed with a HiSo Chinese-Thai high ranking government official daughter i wear jeans in nightclubs

You certainly know how to dress to the 9's in nightclubs..partytime2.gif

I occasionally stay in places where most of the crowd are backpackers.  I certainly won't say "all" of them, but it seems in SEA countries lots of the backpackers have a very strong sense of conformity.  And fashion.  I recall conversations on thorntree regarding how uncool it was to deviate from the shorts-tshirt-flipflops uniform.  Seems these elephant pants are replacing fisherman pants.

If nothing else, makes for a better take-home gift than a triangle pillow, easier to pack at least.

Edited by bendejo

Funny enough when i was a backpacker i used to wear them. Very practical and light, remember just a backpack with everything in.

But, people tend to copy each other, all grow beards, get tattoos, smoke cigarettes, cannabis, etc.

Old men the same, bald head, sandles, checked shirt. I miss the comb over. Bring it back for variety please.

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 0:15 AM, Dexlowe said:

They're cheap and they're cool in a hot climate -- but more importantly, they are PM-approved because they afford ugly women a modicum of modesty. 

He never said that at all.

The ugly ones can do what they like.

Its the sexy ones that need to cover up, to be safe from rape.

(Dont shoot the messenger)

I see where you're coming from though..It is curteous for all concerned to cover up the big white jersey cow rump.

So you obviously have not experienced the comfort in the pants.  I wear them on my balcony while sipping on a martini and enjoying a nice cool breeze.  They feel great when walking as they are light and comfy.  Why do you put such an obnoxious question of the forum and simply ask one of those wearing the pants.  Are you balless? 

On 9/20/2016 at 11:09 PM, cheapskatesam said:

i'm not against elephant pants per se its just weird all the backpacker farangs have to wear the same thing. It's embarrassing. 

When in Thailand i just wear shorts and t-shirt of a random variety just as i would if i were on my hols in Spain or Turkey.

When i want to make a good impression and potentially go to bed with a HiSo Chinese-Thai high ranking government official daughter i wear jeans in nightclubs

Next time your trying to make a good impression you may have to forget the jeans. The clubs I have been to with some Hi-so Thai girls don't allow jeans or t-shirt  , dress slacks and dress shirt only. Sometimes suit or sport coat ,No sandals or sneakers.

Edited by Tony125

I wear Lao pants or Bombay bloomers because the mozzies have less chance of getting you and they are cool . If I go and see my mate out in woop-woop and I go in the car they are ok to wear but if I go on the Forza my TW says " Put on shorts those pants make you look like old happy "  Yep , not hippy .

17 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Next time your trying to make a good impression you may have to forget the jeans. The clubs I have been to with some Hi-so Thai girls don't allow jeans or t-shirt  , dress slacks and dress shirt only. Sometimes suit or sport coat ,No sandals or sneakers.

Oh, we lo-sos are not worthy. We are lower than the dust on your Guccis......

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

The are light, so easy to carry around. 

Easy to wash and dry .

Comfortable to wear .

Cheap , 120 Baht

Perfect attire for backpackers

and some are very pretty.  I personally don't like them and wouldn't be seen in them.  However I know a few people of a certain age,  NOT backpackers  who wear them all the time.

On September 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM, Upnotover said:

Yes, they really ought to follow the expat standard approved attire.....

Image result for old git expat sandals

Not 100% regulation uniform:  Drop the white socks (replace with knee-high black socks).  Replace shirt with wife-beater T-shirt.
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 11.38.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-22 at 11.37.24 AM.png

There, doesn't that make expat life complete?  :rolleyes:

Now, let's ask the OP's question once more:  "Why do they do it....?"

Edited by Fookhaht