Mrs Pongphan: Chiang Mai dike’s name was given by villagers

webfact

Mrs Pongphan: Chiang Mai dike’s name was given by villagers

200914-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Defence permanent secretary General Preecha Chan-ocha’s wife, Mrs Pongphan, said Tuesday that the name of a dike in Chiang Mai, Mae Pongphan Pattana, was given by the villagers themselves because it was easy to remember.

The name of the dike which appeared on a sign board erected at the site of the dike together with the image of Mrs Pongphan was subject of widespread criticism in the social media.

Srisuwan Janya, head of the Stop Global Warming Association, earlier threatened to take the matter to the National Anti-Corruption Commission against General Preecha and Mrs Pongphan. He said he doubted the dike was built with state funding and how come the credit was given to the defence permanent secretary’s wife.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mrs-pongphan-chiang-mai-dikes-name-given-villagers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-21

Pongphan seeks low profile as Preecha hit by another scandal

THE NATION

30295825-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Pongphan Chan-o-cha, the wife of Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Preecha Chan-o-cha, yesterday acknowledged she had reluctantly received more public attention following criticism and controversy over a dyke bearing her name.

She said, however, that she would keep a low profile from now on. 

Meanwhile, her husband Preecha, the younger brother of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, said he was ready to testify before an anti-graft commission regarding alleged misconduct by defence officials relating to the controversy.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Pongphan-seeks-low-profile-as-Preecha-hit-by-anoth-30295825.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-21

29 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

And she has the flying wings on her jacket....somehow, I just can't imagine her leaping out of a plane at 3000'!

Broader question - is she actually a full-time official member of the forces, a member entitled / required to wear an official uniform?

Or is this a quasi forces outfit she put together herself?

10 hours ago, Alive said:

They shouldn't name it after a person. That's one of the problems of the world.

Many of the dams are named after people in Thailand. The biggest is the Bhumibol dam in Tak province.

Do you think it should not have been named after the King of Thailand?

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I remember the first time I saw a primary school teacher in uniform here........ She had more medals than a North Korean Military dictator.

I spent 25 years in the RAF and have only one medal for Long Service and Good Conduct after 18 years in the mans service.

There are road sweepers out here in rural Thailand with more than me.