Report: Yet another trouble free Non-O multiple entry from Savannakhet 21/22 September 2016

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'm curious to know why this service is available at Savannakhet, but not at Vientiane. Any clues folks?

Because. You could also have mentioned any - ANY - other consulate or embassy in the region. There appears to be one set of rules for Savannakhet and a different set of rules for everywhere else. Because. Don't expect any logical reason.

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Sav has a thing about showing ORIGINAL marriage certificates with copies of...That's it....They do not want Kor Ror2 but I take in case my smile was not noticed...But good insurance at 20bht...:smile:

Exactly,  as someone said "Make it look good and come well prepared" then it will be like a walk in the park :biggrin:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Just a thought visa on a rival $30 or bht 1500. Is it any cheaper getting one at the  Laos consulate in KK ???

Also can the mrs (thai)  get an entry visa in KK as well before we travel.

No idea about it if it is any cheaper in KK so can't comment on that.

Your wife doesn't need a Visa to go into Laos, she only needs her passport and after she fills in the arrival form she will get stamped in. Maybe has to pay a small amount 100 thb or so.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

No idea about it if it is any cheaper in KK so can't comment on that.

Your wife doesn't need a Visa to go into Laos, she only needs her passport and after she fills in the arrival form she will get stamped in. Maybe has to pay a small amount 100 thb or so.

Wifey reports 5 THB for a passport stamp or 35 THB if she travels on her I/D card only.

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Because. You could also have mentioned any - ANY - other consulate or embassy in the region. There appears to be one set of rules for Savannakhet and a different set of rules for everywhere else. Because. Don't expect any logical reason.

Valid point I guess Barry, but I sighted Vientiane in particular because it's in the same country and equally accessible, In fact easier for many folk. Still, many odd things happen in the strange world of visas.

I do recall a case in Egypt where a British resident was told at the visa office that he did not need to renew his extension because he was over 60 years of age. When he left the country on a trip to UK, he was told that his extension had expired and had to pay a fine. Hmmm.

20 hours ago, Terdsak said:

Nice earner for Lao immigration when people pay in Baht: Lao visa (paid in US$) $30 = ~1050 Baht; Lao visa (paid in Baht) 1500 Baht; difference 450 Baht or ~$13. (~40%)

I do think you're being somewhat churlish with this remark Terdash, without giving thought to economic realities. The Thai Baht is, as with most currencies in the developing word a 'soft currency' which has a much reduced value outside its own country. So, when a visa is paid for in THB that money has little value in Laos and will have to be traded back to Thailand at reduced value.

However, paying in USD is very attractive to Laos. All such countries want to attract 'hard currency', especially the greenback which often the favoured reserve currency. So the (apparent) differential has nothing to do with being a 'nice earner'.

5 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

What if you don't have a house book?  Is that really a requirement, or would any proof of address be enough?  

The copies of the house book registry is for further poof of the wife's Thai nationality not for proof of address.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lostinisaan said:

Okay, she's registered in her village. But that's not where we're living. 

I think the majority of Thai's are not living where their house books are for.

When applying for a visa they do not ask for proof of address.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the majority of Thai's are not living where their house books are for.

When applying for a visa they do not ask for proof of address.

Thanks Joe, I might go on a Non- O soon and need all possible information.

And I want to be independent from a school. 

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Bring me back some fags matey....:stoner:

Only one carton allowed, Monseigneur. A few years back, I relied on some Filipino colleagues who said no problem, they will carry a bottle of whiskey and one carton over the border for me in Sawannakhet. 

But when we're at the Immigration nobody wanted to help me out and I was stuck with 5 bottles of whiskey and 5 cartons. They really searched all female Thais in special rooms, when I saw my chance and just walked through.

But I won't do that again, it was stupid enough. But there's a fag in Sisaket, if you like his address, I'll send you a message.

It's quite funny how Americans react when you talk about fags. 

P.S. Won't talk to Mrs,. Trans.......

Cheers, mate. . 

Edited by lostinisaan

2 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

Only one carton allowed, Monseigneur. A few years back, I relied on some Filipino colleagues who said no problem, they will carry a bottle of whiskey and one carton over the border for me in Sawannakhet. 

But when we're at the Immigration nobody wanted to help me out and I was stuck with 5 bottles of whiskey and 5 cartons. They really searched all female Thais in special rooms, when I saw my chance and just walked through.

But I won't do that again, it was stupid enough. But there's a fag in Sisaket, if you like his address, I'll send you a message.

It's quite funny how Americans react when you talk about fags. 

P.S. Won't talk to Mrs,. Trans.......

Cheers, mate. . 

We bring in one carton each...:thumbsup: