Report: Yet another trouble free Non-O multiple entry from Savannakhet 21/22 September 2016

27 minutes ago, hathairat2711 said:

My apologies.  They must now be including breakfast as the last time I stayed there breakfast included coffee or tea and fruit.

I would certainly recommend this hotel  being only a short walk to Savannakhet bus station and a little further to the Consulate.

Pictures on booking .com of breakfast looks good. May be a bit old but it will do us for two nights. 

18 hours ago, hathairat2711 said:

The bus doesn't always wait.  Just wait for the next one.

I've had no problem during the last few crossings I've made.

How often do the buses run, and is this route only between border posts/crossing the bridge?

On the information board they say every hour but in mornings it about every 30minutes until people volume reduces .

If bus goes before you through Lao custom don't panic you got time miss at least 2 buses and I've even walked once as not overly far and good learning experience absorbing the area on foot travel.

Bus works perfect going and getting back, even if take tuk-tuk to boarder you got wait bus so all you do is pay money sit and wait a bus, can be worth a shot if need get back mukdahan as quick as potentially possible but I normally right behind guys who splashed out on tuk-tuk and as I got tm8 already normally through customs and in good spot get on bus quick before them.

38 minutes ago, Becker said:

How often do the buses run, and is this route only between border posts/crossing the bridge?

The bur goes from the bus station in Mukdahan to the station in Savannakhet and then reverses the trip. They allow passengers to board on either side of the bridge.

The schedule shows every hour starting from Mukdahan but I think it may be more frequent than that. See: http://home.transport.co.th/index.php/th/2014-12-16-07-24-56/ตารางเวลาเดินรถ/item/443-ตารางเดินรถโดยสารระหว่างประเทศ-international-route.html

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The bur goes from the bus station in Mukdahan to the station in Savannakhet and then reverses the trip. They allow passengers to board on either side of the bridge.

The schedule shows every hour starting from Mukdahan but I think it may be more frequent than that. See: http://home.transport.co.th/index.php/th/2014-12-16-07-24-56/ตารางเวลาเดินรถ/item/443-ตารางเดินรถโดยสารระหว่างประเทศ-international-route.html

Thanks. If I take the bus from the bus station in Mukdahan then I first have to exit the bus at the Thai border and then at the Laotian border, so I can then end up takig three buses? I need to know so that I don't risk being late for the 0900-1100 visa application window.

5 minutes ago, Becker said:

Thanks. If I take the bus from the bus station in Mukdahan then I first have to exit the bus at the Thai border and then at the Laotian border, so I can then end up takig three buses? I need to know so that I don't risk being late for the 0900-1100 visa application window.

The bus waits for  passengers to get back on the bus on the Thai side of bridge. You can normally get back on the same bus on the Lao side also. If it leaves without you just wait for the next one and get on it without paying again.

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

I think they are 30 min intervals....I always get a taxi at Lao border to consulate...They say 200bht, I say

"Bor, ha natee 200bht, bor"....Someone always comes forward with 150bht...That's cool........It is a LONG walk to the consulate for the sake of a few baht...

On 04/10/2016 at 5:03 PM, Becker said:

Could someone please describe the options for travelling over the bridge, and then from the Laos border to the consulate (and also the return trip)? I have been there once before but ended up with a tuk-tuk that charged Pukhet  prices from the borer to the consulate.

If you want to avoid the tuk tuk or van service from the border area to the consulate, get back on the bus and ride it to the station. It's a short 5 -10 min walk from there to the consulate. The vans at the border usually charge 100 baht per person to the consulate.

It's also cheaper to book directly with Avalon 680 baht or Aura 700 baht. Aura is newer, the rooms are slightly better and they let you walk in the lobby and hallways with footwear. Three weeks ago I stayed one night at the Avalon and the second night at Aura before I headed south to Pakse for a few days. I never use the tuk tuks in Savannakhet, but rent a scooter to get around instead.

16 minutes ago, 1marco1 said:

Hi, my multi entry non O marriage visa expire on next December. Can I go to Savannahket 45 days before the expired date, to have a new multi entry?

Thanks

If it is your visa that is expiring as long as you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you will get another 90 day entry. No need to get a new visa until that 90 days ends.

You can apply for a new visa at anytime during your last entry from the visa. There is no 45 day requirement for a visa application that is only for applying for an extension of stay at immigration.

On 06/10/2016 at 7:39 AM, kanook said:

If you want to avoid the tuk tuk or van service from the border area to the consulate, get back on the bus and ride it to the station. It's a short 5 -10 min walk from there to the consulate. The vans at the border usually charge 100 baht per person to the consulate.

It's also cheaper to book directly with Avalon 680 baht or Aura 700 baht. Aura is newer, the rooms are slightly better and they let you walk in the lobby and hallways with footwear. Three weeks ago I stayed one night at the Avalon and the second night at Aura before I headed south to Pakse for a few days. I never use the tuk tuks in Savannakhet, but rent a scooter to get around instead.

I called Avalon to book for end of this month prices quoted over the phone were more expensive than on booking.com. have heard it's cheaper if you just turn up and they have any rooms vacant but I'm not taking that chance.

38 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I called Avalon to book for end of this month prices quoted over the phone were more expensive than on booking.com. have heard it's cheaper if you just turn up and they have any rooms vacant but I'm not taking that chance.

I used Booking.com a month early, 799bht...Printed the form off to pay on arrival...Big letters it said 799bht..

Got there they said $23, converted it to baht and it was over that figure, I pointed to the big 799bht...

That's what I paid....:stoner:

A further question guys,Living and working in Bangkok,Non O expires on the 15th October (already had my 60 day extension)

I am finding it difficult to get time off before then.

Also wife and I have a week planned and plane tickets booked in Ubon Ratchathani on the 22nd of October (only 2.5 hours away from Laos).

IS there anything I could do to postpone my expiry date by a week?

Or if I do a border run and get a one month Tourist  visa,Can I then on or around the 22nd do the Laos visa Non O option?

Cheers again guys

14 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

A further question guys,Living and working in Bangkok,Non O expires on the 15th October (already had my 60 day extension)

I am finding it difficult to get time off before then.

Also wife and I have a week planned and plane tickets booked in Ubon Ratchathani on the 22nd of October (only 2.5 hours away from Laos).

IS there anything I could do to postpone my expiry date by a week?

Or if I do a border run and get a one month Tourist  visa,Can I then on or around the 22nd do the Laos visa Non O option?

Cheers again guys

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

If it is a your visa that is expiring you can get another 90 day entry as long as you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa.

I have a Non o married to a Thai,I had a one year,then I got myself a 60 day extension,but don't want to go to Laos twice if possible,if I do a border run its for 30 days and I will come back with a tourist visa.

Like I said, it runs out the 15th October, flights booked a couple of months ago for the 22nd of October as have a family do.Frustrating as hell.

8 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

I have a Non o married to a Thai,I had a one year,then I got myself a 60 day extension,but don't want to go to Laos twice if possible,if I do a border run its for 30 days and I will come back with a tourist visa.

Like I said, it runs out the 15th October, flights booked a couple of months ago for the 22nd of October as have a family do.Frustrating as hell.

You can get the 7 days to leave I mentioned.

On 04/10/2016 at 5:03 PM, Becker said:

Could someone please describe the options for travelling over the bridge, and then from the Laos border to the consulate (and also the return trip)? I have been there once before but ended up with a tuk-tuk that charged Pukhet  prices from the borer to the consulate.

Be careful of tuk-tuks as they play on your feeling ofshort time and there is no need feel rushed as you got 3hrs from 8am before consulate closed lol.

Don't worry about the so called rush and queues in morning as not that badif use your head.

At mukdahan bus station buy your 50baht ticket and that will cover you all way to bus station in savanakhet which 10-12 minute walk to consulate .

the buses go every 30 minutes for first 2hrs plus , 7am & 7:30am will be packed with loas so give them a miss, you want take the 7:30 or 8am bus as less people plus the lao visa office don't open till 8am anyway ;-)

Going through thai immi is easy and unless you a doodling zombie you WILL NOT miss getting on that bus.
When get lao immi you want go straight to little office with sliding windows just infront and to left of immi huts, quicker you sort that more chance of hoping on same bus and being at savanakhet bus station with loads time spare.

Best way achieve that is buy printing and filling in a lao visa form before your trip & having visa fee in crisp dollar notes exact to your countries charge .

Hole process is as easy as it gets and immi both thai & lao are friendly enough.

Once through lao immi if bus has gone DO NOT PANIC lol, another will be through or if cost not a concern get a tuk-tuk but pay 80Bt MAX, if not interested in you offer take a seat and relax & in 5 minutes you'll have a least 1 guy begging take you & if not a bus will be with you within 30 minutes roughly .

Whay you got remember is no need rush as consulate not open until 9am and even then you got be stupid want turn up at 9am as got a queue, tuen up around 10am and you may see 1 or 2 others wondering in and out & you will be dealt with & finished in 5 minutes assuming got docs prepared in advance .

Coming back is just as easy by bus all way from Savannakhet station, you won't miss bus after immigration as you come through faster as it only lao visa that causes issue of missing bus.

If really in rush try get mukdahan early as possible the tuk-tuk may help but 8time out of ten I meat same people at immigration that took a tuk-tuk for stupid money over my 50Bt bus & you got use bus for bridge anyway.

Once again if want get back quickly have tm8 prepaired or grab one asap & quue and fill it out while in queue rather than siting at table and ending up near end of queue .

It is the cheapest and simplest visa option about really & transport transition is very good with early bus arrival times to mukdahan around 5am to 7:30am meaning minimal downtime and great transport transition . using flight etc means extra days & hotels . Just do some homework & prepare docs in advance then whole trip is perfectly simple & enjoyable enough .

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If it is your visa that is expiring as long as you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you will get another 90 day entry. No need to get a new visa until that 90 days ends.

You can apply for a new visa at anytime during your last entry from the visa. There is no 45 day requirement for a visa application that is only for applying for an extension of stay at immigration.

What I need to know, is if they can give me another year on multi entry non O, before the expiring date.

Thank you

7 minutes ago, 1marco1 said:

What I need to know, is if they can give me another year on multi entry non O, before the expiring date.

Thank you

NO !

But you can apply (if you qualify) for a one year extension of stay and then buy a multiple re-entry permit.

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

Be careful of tuk-tuks as they play on your feeling ofshort time and there is no need feel rushed as you got 3hrs from 8am before consulate closed lol.

Don't worry about the so called rush and queues in morning as not that badif use your head.

At mukdahan bus station buy your 50baht ticket and that will cover you all way to bus station in savanakhet which 10-12 minute walk to consulate .

the buses go every 30 minutes for first 2hrs plus , 7am & 7:30am will be packed with loas so give them a miss, you want take the 7:30 or 8am bus as less people plus the lao visa office don't open till 8am anyway ;-)

Going through thai immi is easy and unless you a doodling zombie you WILL NOT miss getting on that bus.
When get lao immi you want go straight to little office with sliding windows just infront and to left of immi huts, quicker you sort that more chance of hoping on same bus and being at savanakhet bus station with loads time spare.

Best way achieve that is buy printing and filling in a lao visa form before your trip & having visa fee in crisp dollar notes exact to your countries charge .

Hole process is as easy as it gets and immi both thai & lao are friendly enough.

Once through lao immi if bus has gone DO NOT PANIC lol, another will be through or if cost not a concern get a tuk-tuk but pay 80Bt MAX, if not interested in you offer take a seat and relax & in 5 minutes you'll have a least 1 guy begging take you & if not a bus will be with you within 30 minutes roughly .

Whay you got remember is no need rush as consulate not open until 9am and even then you got be stupid want turn up at 9am as got a queue, tuen up around 10am and you may see 1 or 2 others wondering in and out & you will be dealt with & finished in 5 minutes assuming got docs prepared in advance .

Coming back is just as easy by bus all way from Savannakhet station, you won't miss bus after immigration as you come through faster as it only lao visa that causes issue of missing bus.

If really in rush try get mukdahan early as possible the tuk-tuk may help but 8time out of ten I meat same people at immigration that took a tuk-tuk for stupid money over my 50Bt bus & you got use bus for bridge anyway.

Once again if want get back quickly have tm8 prepaired or grab one asap & quue and fill it out while in queue rather than siting at table and ending up near end of queue .

It is the cheapest and simplest visa option about really & transport transition is very good with early bus arrival times to mukdahan around 5am to 7:30am meaning minimal downtime and great transport transition . using flight etc means extra days & hotels . Just do some homework & prepare docs in advance then whole trip is perfectly simple & enjoyable enough .

TM 8 ????

17 minutes ago, Fithman said:

NO !

But you can apply (if you qualify) for a one year extension of stay and then buy a multiple re-entry permit.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I am on my last three months of the one year multi entry.

1 minute ago, 1marco1 said:

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I am on my last three months of the one year multi entry.

If you want another one year multiple entry visa you must obtain that from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in one of the nearby countries. 

On 8/10/2559 at 10:55 AM, Deepinthailand said:

I booked the Avalon over the phone a week before I stayed, 680 baht and the price on booking was what transam paid 800 baht.  Don't know about your experience, but they offer a cheaper price with a direct booking because they save the fee they need to pay the booking site.  The 700 baht price for Aura on the second night was an in person booking after I looked at the room.

Edited by kanook

On 4/10/2559 at 7:29 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Sorry but it does I have the booking to prove it.

Screenshot_2016-10-04-19-25-39.png

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Paid 650 a night on booking .com with breakfast 2 nights 1300. Quoted over phone 780 per night with breakfast.

If you say so, but please tell me why the cancellation fee on your booking is $31?  This equates to 1082 baht, a very common price that comes up when using booking.com, at genius level, to reserve a standard room with breakfast. 

Edited by kanook
grammar

4 minutes ago, kanook said:

If you say so, but please tell me why the cancellation fee on your booking is $31?  This equates to 1082 baht, a very common price that comes up when using booking.com, at genius level, to reserve a standard room with breakfast. 

If you book through Booking.com I believe you can cancel with no charge 3 days before arrival..