US presidential candidates sharpen claws ahead of TV debates

Jonathan Fairfield

US presidential candidates sharpen claws ahead of TV debates

606x341_344801.jpg

It is just three days until the first of the televised face-to-face showdowns between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on Monday.

With undecided voters and independents likely to be key to winning the White House the TV debates will be critical, and, bearing in mind the inflammatory tone of the election so far, potentially gripping political theatre.

“The candidates’ preparation for the first debate could not be more different.

Clinton, who knows her policy briefing books by heart, is reportedly also getting ready to ward off personal attacks with two experienced attorneys framing Clinton’s reactions into precise disciplined language.

On the other hand, Trump has repeatedly said that he doesn’t need a thorough preparation. Yet he will spend the weekend with some of his closest and hardest-hitting advisers, which suggests that he will try to look for the one knock-out moment. For both candidates it will probably be the last time to be able to sway voters,” reports euronews’ Stefan Grobe.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-24

Among other things, Hillary should let Trump shoot himself in the foot however many times he does.  She should smile when he makes his once-per-minute faux pas, but should not smile too often.  Americans view smiling too often as a sign of weakness.  She should also make clear why she wants to be president.  

Trump will try the attack attack attack strategy, built on a foundation of spurious lies.  It worked for him in the Republican debates.  He will also interrupt and fly off on tangents, as he's so adept at doing.   It should be fun watching.

Edited by boomerangutang

7 minutes ago, Pinot said:

If the moderators allow Trump to lie with impunity (as usual) it's not going to be much of a debate. 

Candidates are responsible for debate and that includes refuting lies.  The moderators ask questions and are not a third person in the debate as much as they'd like to support Hillary.

Is this your first time watching debates?  Remember,  "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

I realize the absence of potty and cough breaks will be a burden but still the debate is supposed to be one on one not everybody gang up on Trump.

Would love to see the moderator ask a question in the realm of. "Name 10 countries in each of Asia, NAmerica, SAmerica, Europe and Africa and the name of 5 of those country's leaders"  Mr. Trump you go first.

Love to see the look on Trumps face on that one. 

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

Would love to see the moderator ask a question in the realm of. "Name 10 countries in each of Asia, NAmerica, SAmerica, Europe and Africa and the name of 5 of those country's leaders"  Mr. Trump you go first.

Love to see the look on Trumps face on that one. 

There is no way he could answer that question and they wouldn't ask it because it's the type of question you'd ask 12 year olds. He's at the five year old level ... or more like two, the TERRIBLE twos. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is no way he could answer that question and they wouldn't ask it because it's the type of question you'd ask 12 year olds. He's at the five year old level ... or more like two, the TERRIBLE twos. 

It's a good thing Presidents don't have to know such things.  Obama thinks the USA built an intercontinental railroad.  "We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad.”

You would think a President would know what a continent was now wouldn't you?  

http://www.rantpolitical.com/2015/07/30/15-dumbest-things-president-obama-has-ever-said/

trump has NEVER been confronted DEEPLY on key policy issues, such as health care. It's mostly one liners, very superficial. The truth is he knows NOTHING. He hasn't read a book in decades. Insiders say he both refuses and is not capable to go into them now, even though yes the national tragedy of him becoming president is now possible. 

Health care, one issue of many, that this narcissistic demagogue knows NOTHING about:

In previous debates, he just laid back when issues got detailed because the stage was packed.

Now is the time to NAIL this dangerous monster!

Pathetic trump apologists (some indeed deplorable, irredeemable bigots) say, don't worry, he'll outsource all the work of being president, because even they admit he is TOTALLY UNQUALIFIED.

Well, it doesn't work that way. Ultimately the president must make the FINAL decisions. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

It's a good thing Presidents don't have to know such things.  Obama thinks the USA built an intercontinental railroad.  "We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad.”

You would think a President would know what a continent was now wouldn't you?  

http://www.rantpolitical.com/2015/07/30/15-dumbest-things-president-obama-has-ever-said/

Obama didn't know how many states are in the US. You'd think that the presidential candidate would know that, wouldn't you?

12 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Oh my god! He said intercontinental instead of transcontinental. Holy Cow! Alert the media! Obama is an idiot!

Just a click bait article. Move along nothing to see here.

I think we probably can find at least 15 dumb things other Presidents have stated as well (including Presidential nominees). 

Edited by Silurian

Clinton will have to focus on not coughing, contorted expressions and swiveling her eyes like a chameleon. If she manages all of that without also collapsing she will then have a basket full of emails and other scandals to deal with. All Trump needs do is not be too obvious when lightning the blue touch paper.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

Clinton will have to focus on not coughing, contorted expressions and swiveling her eyes like a chameleon. If she manages all of that without also collapsing she will then have a basket full of emails and other scandals to deal with. All Trump needs do is not be too obvious when lightning the blue touch paper.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I reckon the strategy of both will be to irritate the other to the point of losing their cool. The one that succeeds probably wins the election.

If HRC utters a single slander on Trump he only needs to say "there you go again" and he's won. No points for knowing who said it first.

26 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Oh my god! He said intercontinental instead of transcontinental. Holy Cow! Alert the media! Obama is an idiot!

Just a click bait article. Move along nothing to see here.

I think we probably can find at least 15 dumb things other Presidents have stated as well (including Presidential nominees). 

My point was that Presidents don't have to know such things.  If you read my post, " It's a good thing Presidents don't have to know such things." you would be informed instead of reactive.  

The debate will be about security and Trump will say it is OK to sue the countries that bomb the USA and Hillary will dump Obama and agree.  

I guess it depends on who you believe will build a wall and sue the Saudis.   

44 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

My point was that Presidents don't have to know such things.  If you read my post, " It's a good thing Presidents don't have to know such things." you would be informed instead of reactive.  

The debate will be about security and Trump will say it is OK to sue the countries that bomb the USA and Hillary will dump Obama and agree.  

I guess it depends on who you believe will build a wall and sue the Saudis.   

Got it.

I am of mixed feelings on the whole "sue the Saudis" idea. On one hand, I really dislike the Saudi Arabian government and their awful civil (non-)rights policies. I would say go ahead and sue the pants off of them if it wouldn't probably cause middle east outrage and Saudi backlash. 

If the Saudi suing issue comes up in the debate, I think we know which way Trump will stand on the issue but I am not sure which way Hillary will land. They both might pander to the sue them side.

Here's a novel idea!  How about both candidates lay out (in detail) just exactly what they will do if they get elected.  Explain their intent and how they will deliver.

OK I know that is just fantasy and they will really just attack each other like bar brawlers in front of the cheering and jeering masses.  That pretty much defines this election!

8 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Candidates are responsible for debate and that includes refuting lies.  The moderators ask questions and are not a third person in the debate as much as they'd like to support Hillary.

Is this your first time watching debates?  Remember,  "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

I realize the absence of potty and cough breaks will be a burden but still the debate is supposed to be one on one not everybody gang up on Trump.

Yeah, that's all the Republicans can hope for, no refuting of lies by moderators. Trump lies every five minutes, if HRC has to spend all her time refuting his bullshit...

5 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Yeah, that's all the Republicans can hope for, no refuting of lies by moderators. Trump lies every five minutes, if HRC has to spend all her time refuting his bullshit...

That's fair.  If she concentrates on his BS then she won't have to get into stuff like why she disagrees with Obama on the 9/11 bill and how she is going to fund her welfare state without raising the deficit.  I guess you have forgotten "Fact Check" that is done by every news service that assumes everything out of Trump's mouth is a lie and goes from there.  

Remember CNN fact checking him saying good morning and maintaining he lied because it was raining? 

5 hours ago, Silurian said:

Got it.

I am of mixed feelings on the whole "sue the Saudis" idea. On one hand, I really dislike the Saudi Arabian government and their awful civil (non-)rights policies. I would say go ahead and sue the pants off of them if it wouldn't probably cause middle east outrage and Saudi backlash. 

If the Saudi suing issue comes up in the debate, I think we know which way Trump will stand on the issue but I am not sure which way Hillary will land. They both might pander to the sue them side.

Clinton Campaign: Hillary Would Sign 9/11 Bill if She Were President
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/hillary-clinton-911-bill-sign-saudi-arabia/2016/09/23/id/749885/

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You couldn't answer the question either without googling it.

14 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

That goes double for Hillary. Americans already have her number on the lying and dishonesty bit - 68% consider her untrustworthy.

"Considering" her untrustworthy and being a serial liar are two different things.

Trump isn't even having mock debates. He's not preparing. He can't prepare. He's just going to wing it. Say whatever comes into his thick head and that's going to be stuff he makes up on the spot. 

He's way out of his league with HRC in a debate. This will be fun.