European Parliament head Martin Schulz warns UK 'no a la carte' Brexit menu

rooster59

European Parliament head Martin Schulz warns UK 'no a la carte' Brexit menu

606x341_344819.jpg

The president of the European Parliament has warned the UK it can’t pick and choose which parts of the Single Market it wants to keep when it comes to future Brexit negotiations.

Reaffirming the EU’s stance in London – where he met the opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn among others – Martin Schulz said the longer the UK delayed the exit process, “the more entrenched the respective positions risk becoming”.

“The best possible deal – ladies and gentlemen – with the EU, is membership of the EU,” Schulz said, to applause as he delivered a speech to the London School of Economics. “Any other arrangement necessarily entails trade-offs. Perhaps it is easier to convey what I’m trying to say in culinary terms. There will be no ‘a la carte’. Secondly, on free movement, I see a clear majority in the European parliament for insisting that the fundamental freedoms are inseparable. And especially no freedom of movement for goods, capital and services without free movement of persons.”

Many Britons who voted to leave the European Union in the referendum in June want to see restrictions on immigration from the EU.

Schulz, who said Britain shouldn’t be treated as a “deserter” after meeting Theresa May on Thursday, also warned that the European Parliament could veto any future deal.

The prime minister said after their meeting that she still wanted Britain to have a “close relationship” with the EU. She also repeated that no official move to trigger the exit process via Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty would be made this year.

Downing Street has refused to back up a claim by Foreign Minister Boris Johnson that Brexit negotiations could begin “by the early part of next year”.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-24

Typical meek euro-babble--dull, boring and in denial... folk have to ignore the nob elitists at the top, they say what they have to say to keep the 'dream' alive. As a learned German counterpart of yours remarked last week, in the end you'll have to give I'm afraid; the EU will have no choice but to compromise lest they stomp on their own foot. An EU with the UK out of the Singe Market (personally think they should stick a finger up to it if it means having the island swamped) would not benefit anyone. I can't wait to see the faces of these prudes when the EU renegades on its bluster.

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Typical meek euro-babble--dull, boring and in denial... 

Perfectly true.

For example when he said in substance:
"Britain shoulds not be Treated as a deserter"
We are in the purely diplomatic language.

Recall that for Europeans the England are indeed deserters and must be treated as such.

But do not say it out loud ......

I do not think that there will be much " renegotiating " about important terms regarding the " Brexit " . I think most of the EU leaders actually are happy about the decision of Britain to leave the EU , as they caused more trouble with all the special deals they wanted , than being beneficial to the rest of the EU .

This guy , Mr Schulz , at least is quite frank about it , what is rare with a politician .

If , ever , they do renegotiations about important terms of the Brexit , they will lose the last little bit of respect ...

7 hours ago, pumpuy said:

I do not think that there will be much " renegotiating " about important terms regarding the " Brexit " . I think most of the EU leaders actually are happy about the decision of Britain to leave the EU , as they caused more trouble with all the special deals they wanted , than being beneficial to the rest of the EU .

This guy , Mr Schulz , at least is quite frank about it , what is rare with a politician .

If , ever , they do renegotiations about important terms of the Brexit , they will lose the last little bit of respect ...

You are talking through your posterior sir.....:passifier:

There is a reason why the Eurocrats are so vocal about Brexit.

It provides  a useful focal point to deflect from every other other problem that is happening in the EU.

Part of a post that I made yesterday on another thread

What do you think is going to happen in the EZ when the current totally ineffective euro 1.9 Trillion QE by the ECB comes to an end in March 2017 ? A bit of research will highlight that many economists had stated before the QE began in April 2015 that it was last chance saloon for the euro / EZ. I do not think I need to labour the point on the financial predicament that all EZ Countries are in with only real exception being Germany.

Further in 2017, Hollande will get the boot. Merkel, who many say is actually the glue that is holding the EU together will get the boot, if she is not forced out before Christmas. Throw in a spectacular in either France or Germany in the next year and the :hit-the-fan:big time. Sadly, it is going to happen.

The V4 are making making serious noises about the EU, they are only interested in the money that they are receiving from the EU, when that dry's up OR the EU force migrant quota's on them, the V4 will become a totally different animal.

Greece :cheesy::cheesy:. Nothing more to be said.

The ongoing migrant crisis that has switched to Italy but is largely being totally ignored by the MSM.

The EU is a basket case waiting to explode. The EU's answer is more EU. Recipe for disaster as most Countries do not want more EU, they want less.

The European Commission has ruled that a controversial EU-Canada free trade deal - CETA - cannot be renegotiated, despite much opposition in Europe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37450742

Not only is most of Europe up in arms over this deal. You have also set a precedent on free trade with no free movement of people, you have opened the door for the UK to shaft you with no lubricant.

Juncker tells Italy to be GRATEFUL for EU BILLIONS - because there will be NO MORE

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/713583/Juncker-tells-Italy-be-grateful-for-EU-billions-because-no-more

Harmony and unity EU style :cheesy::cheesy:

3 hours ago, pumpuy said:

You clearly don't understand the EU. Britain was a net contributor, a magnet for people from the poorer East European countries looking for higher incomes and very often a political ally of that other big net contributor Germany.

The EU politicians that are pleases about Brexit are the PC pseudo liberal left federalists. They want a federal state, run by bureaucrats they appoint who will only carry out their policies should the electorate ever decide to vote them out. They call this ever closer union when what they mean is the creation of a federal EU state which slowly or possibly more quickly now dissolves country identity and sovereignty.

The UK was against this and fought against it. Many other are against it but too weak, frightened or cowards to stand up. 

The lovely German Foreign Minister is an example. She was wetting herself at the excitement of a EU Army that could be progressed more quickly now Brexit. 

You are welcome to the small, parasitic countries that never cause any trouble, always do as France and German say as long as the gravy train keeps running and the enforced austerity and banking doesn't get too unbearable.

4 hours ago, pumpuy said:

What is wrong with EU countries / peoples wanting their own special deals? I mean, I think a good deal of current hostility towards the EU is from Brits, Germans, French, Swedes et al is wanting to know exactly whose union this is - the people's or the faceless suits in their ivory towers?

1 hour ago, baboon said:

What is wrong with EU countries / peoples wanting their own special deals? I mean, I think a good deal of current hostility towards the EU is from Brits, Germans, French, Swedes et al is wanting to know exactly whose union this is - the people's or the ?

" faceless suits in their ivory towers " is a nice expression , I appreciate this .

I never was a fan of the EU , nor their politics or politicians ...that's why I live in Thailand now .

But the Brits voted to leave the EU , isn't it ? Now they seem to do everything to delay their exit ... ! They want to renegotiate some important terms , no ? There should be no renegotiating , as the facts are undeniably there = Brexit .

Look at the stock markets after the vote to leave the EU ...there was no crash , that other's predicted , just a little up and down , and than back to normal ...

That means = Brexit = mai pen rai , life goes on without the british ...

no big thing ...

Personnally I believe that the Eu is bound to fail in the long, ( or short ) . term .

It simply is not the " united states of Europe " and will never be .

Incapable politicians who are not aware of the trouble their acts cause , will only accelerate this .

Far right is gaining new voters  everywhere , no place to live anymore ... new fences put up around every country ,,, scared people , new and more restrictions all the time ...go enjoy ,,,your time in Thailand

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You clearly don't understand the EU. Britain was a net contributor, a magnet for people from the poorer East European countries looking for higher incomes and very often a political ally of that other big net contributor Germany.

The EU politicians that are pleases about Brexit are the PC pseudo liberal left federalists. They want a federal state, run by bureaucrats they appoint who will only carry out their policies should the electorate ever decide to vote them out. They call this ever closer union when what they mean is the creation of a federal EU state which slowly or possibly more quickly now dissolves country identity and sovereignty.

The UK was against this and fought against it. Many other are against it but too weak, frightened or cowards to stand up. 

The lovely German Foreign Minister is an example. She was wetting herself at the excitement of a EU Army that could be progressed more quickly now Brexit. 

You are welcome to t that never cause any trouble, always do as France and German say as long as the gravy train keeps running and the enforced austerity and banking doesn't get too unbearable.

'  small, parasitic countries ..." ?

What tree did you fall off ?

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You are welcome to the small, parasitic countries that never cause any trouble, always do as France and German say as long as the gravy train keeps running and the enforced austerity and banking doesn't get too unbearable.

I did not know Frank-Walter was a ladyboy. Thanks, never too old to learn.

The UK was/is a key player in the EU and leaving it causes the EU a lot of problems.  Of course they will make it as uncomfortable as possible for all the obvious reasons.  Firstly if they give Britain any concessions then it gives others the green light to also leave under the same deal.  Secondly, why should they?

At the moment in Europe there are upcoming elections and everyone is walking on eggshells.  It is likely that Hollande will go and maybe Merkel as well.  There is a real possibility that the EU will struggle to continue and may be disbanded.  All of this adds fuel to the argument that Britain should get no deals at all.

It is all very well for the idiot Johnson to go spouting his mouth off about brexit but he has no say in what happens next.  All this talk of "lets get moving" is foolhardy. After his announcement that brexit would start in the new year has caused the pound to fall again.  He really has no idea and May quite rightly said that she will decide the timing and not anyone else.  We are actually much better to see how the EU survives the  next few months before triggering anything.  After that it will then take a minimum two years until we can negotiate any "deals".  This a very drawn out process and in the meantime we are still a member of the EU so that is what we have to live with

6 hours ago, pumpuy said:

I think they might might miss our contributions though (being the second highest payer), especially the Germans and the French as their payments will rise considerably. 

27 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The UK was/is a key player in the EU and leaving it causes the EU a lot of problems.  Of course they will make it as uncomfortable as possible for all the obvious reasons.  Firstly if they give Britain any concessions then it gives others the green light to also leave under the same deal.  Secondly, why should they?

At the moment in Europe there are upcoming elections and everyone is walking on eggshells.  It is likely that Hollande will go and maybe Merkel as well.  There is a real possibility that the EU will struggle to continue and may be disbanded.  All of this adds fuel to the argument that Britain should get no deals at all.

It is all very well for the idiot Johnson to go spouting his mouth off about brexit but he has no say in what happens next.  All this talk of "lets get moving" is foolhardy. After his announcement that brexit would start in the new year has caused the pound to fall again.  He really has no idea and May quite rightly said that she will decide the timing and not anyone else.  We are actually much better to see how the EU survives the  next few months before triggering anything.  After that it will then take a minimum two years until we can negotiate any "deals".  This a very drawn out process and in the meantime we are still a member of the EU so that is what we have to live with

You ask why should they give the U.K. A good deal. Two main reasons that quickly come to mind. 1/ They realise a lot of their jobs rely on exporting to the U.K. This is especially true for Germany.

2/ They Need to make an agreement with the U.K. In the hope that the UK will agree to still pay some contributions to their bureaucratic and  undemocratic system.

image.jpeg

Edited by nontabury

34 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You ask why should they give the U.K. A good deal. Two main reasons that quickly come to mind. 1/ They realise a lot of their jobs rely on exporting to the U.K. This is especially true for Germany.

2/ They Need to make an agreement with the U.K. In the hope that the UK will agree to still pay some contributions to their bureaucratic and  undemocratic system.

You think that the British would stop buying German cars?  Mind you without a trade deal it is likely that the German cars built in the UK will be moved into an EU country making quite a few people redundant.

As for the EU needing the UK to pay some contributions to their bureaucratic system, how would you see that working?  Trade deals would protect our products and manufacturing but that would mean us accepting free movement of people and would indeed mean paying into the system.  At that point you have to ask yourself exactly what benefit is brexit?

11 minutes ago, johnnywishbone said:

The EU will not dictate to Great Britain or anyone else.
Like the UN, they are not overly respected, and easily ignored without consequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The EU are not dictating to Britain.  We are saying please give us some trade deals and they are saying no.  Not only that, we cannot actually negotiate any deals until after we have exited which will be in at least two or three years time.  This means that until we see who in power in the EU at the time we have no idea what the playing field will look like.

The best thing for Britain would be for the badly flawed EU to disband and then re-invent itself with new deals and agreements for everyone.  If Britain is instrumental in that collapse then the brexiters made the right call.  If not then all bets are off.

10 minutes ago, useronthenet said:

Assuming there will be an EU left, after the UK makes an exit. Most have forgotten the fact that the UK is the second biggest contributor to the EU pot. I wonder who will be prepared to make the shortfall?

Exactly!  This is not the right time to commit to anything and I think that May is right to not follow the knee jerkers like Johnson

The EU are not dictating to Britain.  We are saying please give us some trade deals and they are saying no.  Not only that, we cannot actually negotiate any deals until after we have exited which will be in at least two or three years time.  This means that until we see who in power in the EU at the time we have no idea what the playing field will look like.

The best thing for Britain would be for the badly flawed EU to disband and then re-invent itself with new deals and agreements for everyone.  If Britain is instrumental in that collapse then the brexiters made the right call.  If not then all bets are off.

I would consider your statement well thought out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, useronthenet said:

Assuming there will be an EU left, after the UK makes an exit. Most have forgotten the fact that the UK is the second biggest contributor to the EU pot. I wonder who will be prepared to make the shortfall?

"Der Spiegel" reported that the German finance ministry expects German contributions to the EU budget to rise by around 4.5 bn EUR (worst case).

Sounds like a lot but to put it into perspective: we will spend 20 bn EUR on refugees over this and the next year. The finance minister is talking about tax incentives in 2018 worth up to 15 bn EUR. In other words, we will manage.

And for those who are currently speculating that the EU will collapse: it is not going to happen because we (Germany) do not want that. I hope that annoys all EU-haters on this forum sufficiently.

jope

I voted to remain in the EU but only because I didn't think that it would collapse and because I figured it was better to try to get change from inside rather than outside..  However the indications are that brexit is causing a great deal of uncertainty now in the EU along with the immigration issues.  Germany is certainly the ringmaster and the most influential player.  What do you think will happen if Merkel is replaced?

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

jope

I voted to remain in the EU but only because I didn't think that it would collapse and because I figured it was better to try to get change from inside rather than outside..  However the indications are that brexit is causing a great deal of uncertainty now in the EU along with the immigration issues.  Germany is certainly the ringmaster and the most influential player.  What do you think will happen if Merkel is replaced?

Despite some recent and probably future successes of the (anti immigration party) "Alternative for Germany", the centre-right and/or the centre-left parties will build the next government. From the humble beginnings in 1951/1952 to the EU as it is today there has been a consensus among all these parties that Germany will always support the EU and that the goal is a united Europe (Yes! The new unmentionable: a federal state, The United States of Europe :-) ). In short: it does not matter at all who will be the next German Bundeskanzler. German politics regarding the EU will not change, which means politics in regard of Brexit will not change, either.

But as you mentioned change from inside. What do you think that should change within the EU? Don't get me wrong, I am all for reforms. But on this forum I have the impression that "reforms" means something completely different than what a "federalist" like me would mean when talking about change.

Edited by jope

May I refer to my previous post, by which I so eloquently explained why this is not going to happen? :-)

But seriously, even if another member state had the secret wish to leave (opinion polls in all EU states point exactly into the other direction), does anybody truly believe that that would happen before it is clear how it will turn out for the UK?

What do you think as a sceptic (?) remainer?

Edited by jope

5 hours ago, jope said:

May I refer to my previous post, by which I so eloquently explained why this is not going to happen? :-)

But seriously, even if another member state had the secret wish to leave (opinion polls in all EU states point exactly into the other direction), does anybody truly believe that that would happen before it is clear how it will turn out for the UK?

What do you think as a sceptic (?) remainer?

Many EU members are focusing their attention on the UK post BREXIT, as to whether their economy will fall or improve. Many doomsayers were trying to second-guess that their economy (UK's) would falter, when in fact it has not. I would guess that if the later applies, many other EU countries might have their own referendum, and indeed some countries are already pushing towards that direction. Furthermore, the political climate in the EU is veering more towards the right, as we have seen recently in Germany, France, Netherlands, Hungary, Sweden, Denmark and the UK, especially on matters relating to immigration.

Therefore, the future of the EU certainly remains in the balance.