Expats stuck in a time warp

JJGreen

There are guys who move here and time stops for them. Their expectations, life attitudes, social needs, food, musical, cultural tastes…all stop developing once they reach here.

Living in a new country, new environment, there is a need to develop and adapt, which brings greater happiness and ease of living.

If they were back in their home country, societal norms would be ever evolving, as would they; but when they come here, they expect everything to be the same as when they left, or maybe harking back to a time from their youth when they perceived things were better.

Life, social interactions, relationships…they are not stagnant thing and never have been. Technology changes,advances. People also change, differ, grow as years go by

So why move country and put a line in the sand over personal growth and life?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your point? Do you  seriously believe these people you reference even understand what you are saying, let alone care?

Not all of us wish to go jungle. It is distressing enough when the  staff forget to call me master. I do not need to have a discussion of your concerns now.

Time stopped for me when I moved here. I still feel 33 years old, the age I was when I first came. I can't pinpoint the exact cause of this anti-ageing agent- the beer, my wife and family, my job the weather, the Thai people, the food, morlam. Perhaps it's the combination of all these factors.

Actually, I think it's just old people. It's the same in the west. Sure the older folks use tech but they old onto the values of their day and the fears of their day. And they mostly chase the younger women. Certainly these folks are lost in the past. :passifier:

Just now, Alive said:

Actually, I think it's just old people. It's the same in the west. Sure the older folks use tech but they old onto the values of their day and the fears of their day. And they mostly chase the younger women. Certainly these folks are lost in the past. :passifier:

Another wild assumption......

Time stops !   Where are these guys.?

In deciding to live in a new country you should do some practice runs in others if your able to. 

If l were back in my home country l'd expect Thailand to evolve why shouldn't it. ?

" Social interactions, relationships, Technology changes."  That's part of life ain't it, take em or leave em, no big deal.

" So why move country and put a line in the sand over personal growth and life ? ".

That's easy I'm comfortable and well off here,  in the UK l'd be bored, miserable and poor. :stoner:

Right let's not forget here the op is voicing his and only his opinions. I have not met anyone (other than the op JJ well not met him and truth be known don't want to) Who is as he says stuck in a time warp. As for percived olden days being better days well YES they are in my mind but then again I expect my Daughter feels the same and her daughter and so on and so on. Talking of time warps JJ is by definition not of this planet still have to humor the unfortunates don't we.

20 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Right let's not forget here the op is voicing his and only his opinions. I have not met anyone (other than the op JJ well not met him and truth be known don't want to) Who is as he says stuck in a time warp. As for percived olden days being better days well YES they are in my mind but then again I expect my Daughter feels the same and her daughter and so on and so on. Talking of time warps JJ is by definition not of this planet still have to humor the unfortunates don't we.

I answered his question but some of the other stuff l just don't understand but their of his personal observations and evaluation l guess,  sounds like his still on holiday. :biggrin:

It's Sunday :whistling: The pubs open l'm off to numb the brain. :burp:

3 minutes ago, Gary A said:

It's not easy having a 25 year old mind and a seventy year old body. You young pups will eventually get in that situation also.

The young pups just show their stupidity when slagging off older guys, they obviously don't realise they are on their way......:shock1:

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

It's not easy having a 25 year old mind and a seventy year old body. You young pups will eventually get in that situation also.

Absolute rubbish most 25 year old men haven't grown up, and in your 70's you have much greater selection of many more ages of ladies. :biggrin:

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Time and Tide stops for no man....Or lady for that matter....:huh:

Why I remain so hansum is one of life's mysteries.......:giggle:

Yeah so right l don't need ever to look in the mirror because all the girls say l hansum man.

Don't know that geezer l see in the mirror wish he'd get out my house.  :laugh:

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Time and Tide stops for no man....Or lady for that matter....:huh:

Why I remain so hansum is one of life's mysteries.......:giggle:

At my age the Pattaya ladies still call me hansum man. No way would they lie to me.  :partytime2:

What's your point? Do you  seriously believe these people you reference even understand what you are saying, let alone care?

Not all of us wish to go jungle. It is distressing enough when the  staff forget to call me master. I do not need to have a discussion of your concerns now.

Who said about going jungle? Bkk is a 24 hours city

Time stopped for me when I moved here. I still feel 33 years old, the age I was when I first came. I can't pinpoint the exact cause of this anti-ageing agent- the beer, my wife and family, my job the weather, the Thai people, the food, morlam. Perhaps it's the combination of all these factors.

Feeling 33 and living in the past are different things.
Thailand has youth rejuvenation features for many...but no need to hark back to simpler days that probably never were

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Your user name,  geriatrickid, says a lot.

I know several old English guys in Chiang Mai who will only have remote associations with Thais, eat only Farlang food either at home or in restaurants, their homes are like a piece of old England, some even having their old furniture shipped over from England and flatly refuse to adapt into Thai society.

Many have a dislike for Thai people and even the country. I think these people are only here for economic reasons, a place where they can stagnate into their own comfort zones at a much cheaper rate then in their own countries. It makes no different to them whether they are in Thailand or Timbuktu.