Cost Of Livestock

mercman24

Cyberfarang: out in the sticks the vast majority of people don't care (know?) about legalities or falang for that matter. Most of them are either too busy sleeping or trying to earn a few Baht. Anything done on a small scale, which doesn't directly affect them, generally goes unnoticed. 

As long as the OP doesn't bother them, they more than likely won't bother him. 

I'm not trying to have a go at you, and I understand the legal implications of falang working/farming here, but sometimes all this "official stuff" simply doesn't matter out in the middle of nowhere. 

To the OP: Unfortunately I can't answer your question re prices BUT there is a thread here in the farming section which focuses on chickens. Maybe you can find some info about buying and rasing poultry or possibly even a seller there.

Good luck! 

You will find the prices varies by a large amount. It depends on sex, breed, age, bloodline, appearance of livestock and buyer......mood of seller and  if he needs funds in a hurry.the info is on this forum that you are looking for, just dig it out.

The op is going to struggle  here  basically they is no  ,as we know , a market  for dairy cattle  you get  ,a  Dalart- Nut ,Thai cattle market , where  cattle dealers  get together once a week ,or sometimes every 2 weeks  ,and sell a pick  load of  cattle ,but these  markets  are  about  95%  beef cattle , you might find a few dairy heifers ,your  locale cattle dealer  will probably know of one in your area.

For dairy cattle  you need to find an area  where they   rear /milk  cows ,for a dairy cow a 2ed -3ed calving cow  that is in calf   will be about  35 000 - 40 000 baht , it also  depends on the farm ,one of the best farms in this  area will sell his cows  for  50 000 baht ,as has been said why is he sell the cow ,does she have mastitis  ,is she being milked on all 4 teats ,a bad case  of mastitis  will make a teat  blind ,no milk .

Guy near here  was building a new house ,but it went over  budget, he had to sell  a few in calf  dairy heifers  to  finish the job

Check her feet are they ok (on a good  foot , hoofs should slope 45 degrees to the ground, toes on the ground), is she walking ok ,Thai cows  have big problems  with they feet .

The owner  will say  she is in calf ,get a vet in to check  that she is ,in this area  it is only  1-200 baht to check a cow .and get him to check her udder .

You could buy a  in calf  heifer ,but a heifer in calf  is now 50-55  000 baht , saying around here  now is  2 in calf  heifers 100 000 baht  not cheap .

we buy piglets in from 800bht to 1200bht, we buy 30 every month, so we always have 30 coming in and 30ish being sold,

we buy our feed direct from the feed mill at a fraction of the cost from the feed shops,

baby ducks karkie cambels i think the wife paid 25bht each for day olds,

17 hours ago, djayz said:

Cyberfarang: out in the sticks the vast majority of people don't care (know?) about legalities or falang for that matter. Most of them are either too busy sleeping or trying to earn a few Baht. Anything done on a small scale, which doesn't directly affect them, generally goes unnoticed. 

As long as the OP doesn't bother them, they more than likely won't bother him. 

I'm not trying to have a go at you, and I understand the legal implications of falang working/farming here, but sometimes all this "official stuff" simply doesn't matter out in the middle of nowhere. 

To the OP: Unfortunately I can't answer your question re prices BUT there is a thread here in the farming section which focuses on chickens. Maybe you can find some info about buying and rasing poultry or possibly even a seller there.

Good luck! 

The reason I asked the question is: my girlfriend wants me to buy some land from her cousin and grow lum yai crop. But I would never be dumb enough to invest in something that I can`t own, a produce that I could not openly go out and sell, having worries that someone from the local authority will be snooping around asking questions and having to rely on the complete trust of other people on my investment. 

You say that; no one cares about who owns what and Farlangs out in the sticks, but isn`t that just relying on luck that there will not be any problems.  I say to the OP; think not once, but twice or a dozen times before entering into something that is strictly forbidden to Farlangs in Thailand.

16 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The reason I asked the question is: my girlfriend wants me to buy some land from her cousin and grow lum yai crop. But I would never be dumb enough to invest in something that I can`t own, a produce that I could not openly go out and sell, having worries that someone from the local authority will be snooping around asking questions and having to rely on the complete trust of other people on my investment. 

You say that; no one cares about who owns what and Farlangs out in the sticks, but isn`t that just relying on luck that there will not be any problems.  I say to the OP; think not once, but twice or a dozen times before entering into something that is strictly forbidden to Farlangs in Thailand.

You have some very valid points Cyberfarang. I don't consider it dumb, but risky. But then again, life is full of risks.

As long as the OP doesn't invest more than he/she can afford to lose, it's still an investment like any other. I'm not a risk-lover but I'm also not risk-averse and probably more trusting than most other people. 

Anyways, I honestly don't want to hi-jack the OP's original thread and therefore I'll end with this extract from William F. O'Brian's poem; 

Some say risk nothing, try only for the sure thing, 
Others say nothing gambled nothing gained, 
Go all out for your dream. 
Life can be lived either way, but for me, 
I'd rather try and fail, than never try at all, you see. 

37 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

where on earth did it say i was running a farm, i live in the centre of Bangkok, i was just thinking of buying a family i know, maybe some chicken or a pig maybe, just curious as to the cost of livestock.

Thats the TV  hijack brigade.:shock1:  Baby chicken  or duck 25 to 40 baht each. Piglets 1000 baht each. Cow, 5k for a new born and 25K for mature. Buffalo 35k.

11 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Thats the TV  hijack brigade.:shock1:  Baby chicken  or duck 25 to 40 baht each. Piglets 1000 baht each. Cow, 5k for a new born and 25K for mature. Buffalo 35k.

You will not get  a dairy cow for 25k ,unless  it is only fit for  beef burgers, a Thai native  beef cow  you can get  for 25k ,as I said  a  dairy      cow   in calf  and milking  35-40 k.

Dairy  heifer calves  5k  a bit  high  for a new born  calf  3500- 4k, bull calves now about 1k , new  year  prices go  up .

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2559 at 7:07 AM, jobin said:

Goats are a better bet for milk than a big old cow. But yes, goats are more difficult to contain with a fence.  

It is  ok milking goats, but finding a  local market  to sell the milk ,one  advantage with goats milk  is that it can be kept   frozen ,and sold  at one time ,like a guy near me dose .

Or  making  goats cheese  , another guy near me makes  goats  milk cheese  ,his  main  market  are Bangkok, Chiang Mie, Pattaya,  were  they  is a   farang   market.

Thai  way of rearing goats ,they are kept in a pen  ,and the  owner  takes  them out grazing  during   the day ,owner  stays with them the whole time , or they stay  in the pen the whole time ,and feed is brought to them  .