Trump vows to recognise Jerusalem as Israeli capital

webfact

Trump vows to recognise Jerusalem as Israeli capital

606x341_344955.jpg

NEW YORK: -- Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump will recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital if he’s elected. The promise was made during a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. It marks a potential dramatic shift in US policy with it being a highly contentious issue between Israel and the Palestinians.

Palestinians want East Jerusalem, captured by Israel in a 1967 war, as capital of the state they aim to establish alongside Israel in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton also met the Israeli premier where she reportedly stressed that “a strong and secure Israel is vital to the United States because of shared strategic interests and common values.

With latest opinion polls showing Clinton’s lead has narrowed to only 2 percentage points over her rival, the focus is now on the first of three televised presidential debates. An estimated 100 million viewers are expected to tune in for Monday nights face-off in New York.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-26

Let's not get excited about anything trump says. Hopefully he won't win because if he does the entire world will be destabilized. Personally, I agree Jerusalem IS the capital of the state of Israel, but it would be silly to vote only that recognition issue. I suppose this is a cynical trump move to get sway a few more pro-Israel votes (not only Jews) in swing states, especially Florida. 

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Let's not get excited about anything trump says. Hopefully he won't win because if he does the entire world will be destabilized. Personally, I agree Jerusalem IS the capital of the state of Israel, but it would be silly to vote only that recognition issue. I suppose this is a cynical trump move to get sway a few more pro-Israel votes (not only Jews) in swing states, especially Florida. 

I think Trump is an ass...but newsflash..the past 25 years of bad policy has already left the world destabilized. I actually hope he gets elected because that is the only way to break the status quo method of government. He and we will all learn that very few of his promises can be enacted as law and then maybe both parties can come up with some reform solutions we all can live with instead of the same old crap that keeps enriching the power brokers and dividing the country. He is a fool but we need a shakeup and after his failed presidency I hope we will see a true reformer emerge from the shadows.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like a nihilist POV.

Quite the contrary. The country needs reform badly, very badly. Hilary Clinton promises more of the same and Donald Trump is really clueless as to the workings of the domestic and global government. If Clinton is elected, nothing will be accomplished and the Republicans will reject reform in favor of their old ways and the cycle starts again. If Trump is elected there is a very good chance he will be so hogtied by the courts and COngress that almost nothing will get done. My hope then is that some part elders on both sides will try a reformer for a change.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think your theory is INSANE. Playing with fire. The man is DANGEROUS. 

The mere fact that he is the Republican nominee is INSANE. My ideas are not so far fetched. One more hiccup by the HC campaign and he is our next president...momentum is on his side. Look, the country can either reform on its own or face revolution down the road. History is littered with the remnants of great societies. When social systems and infrastructure break down and inequality reaches intolerable levels.

We are heading in the wrong direction. A country divided cannot and will not stand.

hate trump of course, nothing changes there, but here's a good case for Jerusalem:

“I am proud of the generally bipartisan support that Israel has enjoyed from successive Australian governments. But I think we can do more to demonstrate our solidarity. Like many nations, Australia has chosen to locate our embassy in Israel in Tel Aviv. But Tel Aviv is not Israel’s capital city—Jerusalem is. Every nation deserves the right to choose its own capital city. Since 1950, Israel has asserted it is Jerusalem. Since 1967, it has administered the entire city.

“The Israeli government have demonstrated time and time again that they are the best custodians for the religious and historical sites that are of significance to people of many faiths.

“I do not believe that the international community can continue to refuse to recognise their capital city of choice and the clear reality on the ground. It would be a symbolic but important step for Australia to formally recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital city and to move our embassy there.”

Edited by Jingthing

To be fair, Trump's pronouncement is old news.

The US Congress passed the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel. But the law has never been implemented, because of opposition from Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama. There has been no international acknowledgement of the law.1

On the other hand Trump's acknowledgement that Jerusalem has been the eternal capital of the Jewish people for over 3000 years is something novel.2

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The US Congress passed the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel. But the law has never been implemented, because of opposition from Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama. There has been no international acknowledgement of the law.1

On the other hand Trump's acknowledgement that Jerusalem has been the eternal capital of the Jewish people for over 3000 years is something novel.2

You know more than Trump does.  But nevertheless, I'm sure Netanyahu knows that Trump's word is pretty worthless. 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Has any other nominee said that they would recognize Jeruselem as the capital of Israel if elected? As far as I am concerned, this is a pretty brave move. Another legitimate reason to vote for him, besides the Supreme Court picks.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm pro Israel of course, but I'm MUCH more interested in what happens in the capital called WASHINGTON than the capital called JERUSALEM. If trump is president, his dark description of everything in the USA being a "disaster" will get more REAL.

It would be nice if the world recognized Israel's capital as Jerusalem, but practically speaking, it's not that big a deal, even in the context of the Israel - Palestinian conflict which isn't that big a deal compared to what's happening right now in SYRIA. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If trump is president, his dark description of everything in the USA being a "disaster" will get more REAL. 

It already is real, to some extent. All those new minimum wage jobs do not pay the bills. Speaking honestly about America's problems is one of the reasons that he is doing so well. No one who is honest can say that he has no chance of winning the election anymore.

Just now, Ulysses G. said:

It already is real, to some extent. All those new minimum wage jobs do not pay the bills. Speaking honestly about America's problems is one of the reasons that he is doing so well. No one who is honest can say that he has no chance of winning the election anymore.

To some extent, yes. To his absurdly exaggerated extent ... NO! 

6 minutes ago, Credo said:

Since when does the US President decide what the capital of another country will be?

The capital of Israel IS Jerusalem (that obviously is fully Israel's decision) but that's different than international recognition and embassy locations. Other countries don't decide but recognition or not does have consequences. Such as when an  American baby is born in Jerusalem. 

The president's power on this? Yes, she has it:

http://www.jpost.com/International/US-court-invalidates-law-allowing-US-citizens-born-in-Jerusalem-to-chose-Israel-as-birthplace-on-passports-320804

In the government, the president “exclusively holds the power to determine whether to recognize a foreign sovereign,” Judge Karen Henderson wrote for the panel.

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Elfin said:

All of the embassies are in Tel Aviv for a reason.............:post-4641-1156693976:

BDS

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The capital of Israel IS Jerusalem (that obviously is fully Israel's decision) but that's different than international recognition and embassy locations. Other countries don't decide but recognition or not does have consequences. Such as when an  American baby is born in Jerusalem. 

The president's power on this? Yes, she has it:

http://www.jpost.com/International/US-court-invalidates-law-allowing-US-citizens-born-in-Jerusalem-to-chose-Israel-as-birthplace-on-passports-320804

How can Israel make Jerusalem it's capital when it has NEVER been a LEGAL part of Israel in this and the last century ? When the UN took Palestinian land to create Israel it excluded Jerusalem, which was to become an international city. That is why the embassies are in Tel Aviv. Israel can SAY Jerusalem is its capital, but that doesn't make it legal, any more than the illegal settlements in the west bank are on Israeli land.

The UN has never made Jerusalem part of Israel since, hence Trump can say whatever he likes, but he can't make Jerusalem part of Israel. That is not within the power of the US president.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How can Israel make Jerusalem it's capital when it has NEVER been a LEGAL part of Israel?

West Jeruselem has been part of Israel since 1948 and East Jeruselem is within the 1967 borders that the Palestinians kerp saying they want Israel to retreat to. Not much chance that Israel is going to abandon their eternal capital. The Palestinians rejected the UN solution, so not much to stand on there.

4 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

West Jeruselem has been part of Israel since 1948 and East Jeruselem is within the 1967 borders that the Palestinians kerp saying they want Israel to retreat to. Not much chance that Israel is going to abandon their eternal capital. The Palestinians rejected the UN solution, so not much to stand on there.

It may have been occupied, but that doesn't make it legally part of Israel. The only body that can, is the UN.

If it was internationally recognized as part of Israel the embassies would be there, but they aren't.

8 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

A key Palestinian demand is the Palestinian capital in EAST Jerusalem.

I don't see this being resolved any time soon.

Whoever wins this Presidential election it is likely that by their track record either winner will probably be impeached within the next term of office.  Thats my prediction.

The reason that the Israel and Palestinian conflict does not reach a conclusion is all in the minds of the people that live there. Who really cares except them where the capital of a country is. If they really cared about peace and not clinging to the past then the solution is pretty simple.  Its all just dirt and rocks and we are all just made of dust. But people are going to kill and fight for an idea. The whole conflict is mind made and perpetuated by attachment to something that no one owns.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It may have been occupied, but that doesn't make it legally part of Israel. The only body that can, is the UN.

If it was internationally recognized as part of Israel the embassies would be there, but they aren't.

Tough tittie.  The UN proposal was a non-binding proposal which never materialized. It became immaterial when the Arab states rejected UN Resolution 181 and invaded the brand new State of Israel. There has never been been any agreement, treaty, or international understanding which applies the corpus separatum concept to Jerusalem. The UN is going to have a hard time ever enforcing that one.

Another angle on all this. A peace agreement, IF it's ever signed. Yeah. IF. 

Israel and its supporters often ask why Israel is the only country in the world that’s not allowed to designate its own capital. The answer is that Israel is the only country in the world that places its capital on a patch of holy soil that no other country in the world recognizes as within its sovereign borders. A peace agreement, if it’s ever signed, will surely include recognition of West Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Even the Palestinians say so. Until there’s an agreement, though, there’s no agreement, regardless of what presidential candidates say on the campaign trail.

http://forward.com/opinion/350736/was-benjamin-netanyahus-meeting-with-donald-trump-another-case-of-electoral/?attribution=home-hero-item-text-1