Hong Kong visa run - question

No it doesn't really make sense.

If you have an existing Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) that you have already used to enter Thailand then it has already been used and you can apply for a new SETV whenever you want. The new visa will be valid for 3 months from it's issue date and whenever you enter during that 3 months you will be granted permission to stay for 60 days.

If you haven't already extended your current SETV entry you can extend it by 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

The new visa will be valid for 3 months from it's issue date and whenever you enter during that 3 months you will be granted permission to stay for 60 days.

... So I'm asking specifically about the issue date. Will the issue date be from the expiry date of my last SETV, or from the date I go to the embassy (maybe a couple of days before my last one expires).

I think Beano answered this, but if you know any different please say. 

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

... So I'm asking specifically about the issue date. Will the issue date be from the expiry date of my last SETV, or from the date I go to the embassy (maybe a couple of days before my last one expires).

The new visa will have a new expiration date shown as the enter before date on the sticker.

If you are asking about the 60 day entry from your previous visa it ends on the date you leave the country and the one from your new visa will start on the date you enter the country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

The issue date will be the day you apply for, or the day you collect, the visa. You then have 3 months from that issue date to enter Thailand. Your old, presumably used, visa has no influence over the issue date of the new visa.

• Like 1

Thai Consulate in HK isn't open on public holidays. According to this there is a Chinese public holiday for the whole of next week (the week I am going):

http://www.chinahighlights.com/festivals/china-public-holiday.htm

But the HK government website indicates they only recognise a holiday on Sunday(the 1st)

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/holiday/2016.htm

I wonder if the Thai Consulate will respect the holidays on the mainland, or in HK. Hmmm.....

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, WanderingSEA said:

Same day departure and return from BKK to HKG.

I need to fly to HKG for work and wanted to return the same day. Will this reset my 30 tourist visa upon re-entry? 

Thanks for the help

If you are eligible for a visa exempt entry, and have not received too many already, you will certainly be issued a fresh 30-day visa exempt entry on your return to Thailand. Just in case, make sure you have your boarding passes handy to demonstrate to the immigration official that you have been out of the country. The duration of your trip abroad is not relevant.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are eligible for a visa exempt entry, and have not received too many already, you will certainly be issued a fresh 30-day visa exempt entry on your return to Thailand. Just in case, make sure you have your boarding passes handy to demonstrate to the immigration official that you have been out of the country. The duration of your trip abroad is not relevant.

Thanks for the info! I usually present my boarding pass as part of my passport, but this is usually when I am coming back from a couple days to sometimes months between stays. 

How many is too many? I go back and forth from the US > BKK at least 3x a year since 2013 and stay between 1-2 months (leaving for a couple days during those 1-2 months) 

2017 - exit stamp dated Jan7

2017 - April 10-May20

2017 Oct30-Dec30 (leaving to HKG during that time) 

I've read they are cracking down on visa runs, but I never considered they'd give me a hard time with long gaps in between my stays without a METV Thoughts?

There is no certainty. The immigration officials will probably receive an alert that you have more than 6 previous visa exempt entries. At Suvarnabhumi, at worst, I think they would warn you to "get a visa next time". Probably, though, you will be admitted without comment after a more thorough examination than usual of your passport. If entering through Don Muang, Phucket or Krabi there is a very small chance you could be refused entry and sent back to where you boarded.

In the current climate, it would be safer to stay a couple of days in Hong Kong and to get a single entry tourist visa. Similarly, a tourist visa acquired in advance would be prudent for future trips. While the risk of being denied entry outright is small, I assume the consequences would be unpleasant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is no certainty. The immigration officials will probably receive an alert that you have more than 6 previous visa exempt entries. At Suvarnabhumi, at worst, I think they would warn you to "get a visa next time". Probably, though, you will be admitted without comment after a more thorough examination than usual of your passport. If entering through Don Muang, Phucket or Krabi there is a very small chance you could be refused entry and sent back to where you boarded.

In the current climate, it would be safer to stay a couple of days in Hong Kong and to get a single entry tourist visa. Similarly, a tourist visa acquired in advance would be prudent for future trips. While the risk of being denied entry outright is small, I assume the consequences would be unpleasant.

ThanksBritTim,

I'll be coming through Suvarnabhumi. Interesting that you mention they may get an alert and give my passport a bit longer look over. Last time I came back from Singapore I got that longer than normal look over when re-entering, even after it was 2 weeks being out of Thailand. 

Couple extra days in HKG maybe prudent too. 

Thanks for the advice and info! Much appreciated. 

Cheers