"We love you Papa!" - farang repairing potholed road wows Thais!

webfact

"We love you Papa!" - farang repairing potholed road wows Thais!

p1.jpg

Image: Facebook

BANGKOK: -- Pictures and a video of a farang repairing a potholed road are wowing Thais online.

This guy - named only as Mr Peter - is seen on his hands and knees with cement in the middle of the road filling the holes.

Recent pictures to get the authorities attention have featured Thais having a bath in neighborhood potholes - but that was not the answer for this concerned individual!

He is doing something positive to help his local community - and the locals love him for it. And he is reaching into his pockets too.

The video and pictures were posted on the Facebook page of Kusuma Namwong who said that Mr Peter has come to live in Thailand and is helping out the Thai public. Others are chipping in to help too with their time  - fed up with the frequent accidents.

Kusuma said in the comments section that Mr Peter was concerned about relatives and the public having accidents, especially on motorcycles.

Comments were 100% positive with Great! and Amen! ringing out to the original post praising the westerner's spirited work.

One poster said that Thais should check this out adding: "Does it make you feel embarrassed?"

But Bunreuang Sawangwong summed it up best: "We love you Papa!" she enthused.

The post did not mention where the road repairing was taking place.

Source: FB

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-27

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Why don't the local Thais repair it? 

At least our local Thais put broken plastic chairs in the 30cm-deep chuckholes to warn motorists.  After a few motorbikers went over their handlebars.  

4 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It's good the locals appreciate his efforts so let's hope the local authorities do as well because if any officials get their knickers in a twist ... !

Yes, knowing how idiotic and bone-headed officialdom can be here, they might charge him with working without a work permit or with damaging the reputation of Thais!

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, knowing how idiotic and bone-headed officialdom can be here, they might charge him with working without a work permit or with damaging the reputation of Thais!

He's definitely taking away work from Thais who don't/won't do it.  Such a dilemma.  

... he was simply paving a way towards a solution

but there will be a Fine for no permit - as already said...

- a Fine for performing uncertified, unqualified trade work upon a public facility

- a payment to compensate the Roads Dept, to:

•      rip the road up again
  •      test the work he performed
  •      and charge him for the cost of doing the job again

...but they won't actually perform the job

37 minutes ago, nev said:

Good on him I say, at least he is trying to make a difference.

Yeah...and the next time, he may criticize anything about Thailand, he will be sternly reminded, that he is only a guest here and if he doesn't like it, he can go home!

7 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Pathetic. Another old guy unable to accept the way things are done here and the ignorance to try to do it himself.  This is a slap in the face for the local council and from a farang. What on earth is his Thai wife doing, letting do such a thing?

Great! Another old guy doing something for the benefit of his community  and apparently doing it well and receiving 100% support from 2,169,000 people and those in his village.

If the local council  or puyai gave a toss, they would have shown up and had a chat with him and discussed his road mending abilities.  Might even have learned how to repair a local blacktop road. And warned him not to do it again as they lost face big time.

I seriously doubt if he will be deported or seriously reprimanded.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Comments were 100% positive with Great! and Amen! ringing out to the original post praising the westerner's spirited work.

Of course they are, they are all by  Kusuma Namwon's friends.

Put it on the Labour Dept.'s facebook page or the Road Department's site and you'll see some very different responses.

Roads here are not made to last, it how the local government make a livable wage, getting contracts/money to repair the same roads every year.

11 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Of course they are, they are all by  Kusuma Namwon's friends.

Put it on the Labour Dept.'s facebook page or the Road Department's site and you'll see some very different responses.

Roads here are not made to last, it how the local government make a livable wage, getting contracts/money to repair the same roads every year.

So are you seriously telling us that the poor construction, inadequate repairs, serious delays and backlogs to maintenance are deliberate so that the locals have continuous employment. Get real, you know as well as I do that corruption with road construction and maintenance contracts leads to the appalling state of roads in many parts of the Country.

The next time you come off your bike due to a pothole, or the shocks and suspension on your vehicle are needing replacement I'll bet you don't say to yourself "That's O'K', I don't mind forking out all my cash for hospital bills or repairs - the locals have got jobs'

1 minute ago, Toknarok said:

So are you seriously telling us that the poor construction, inadequate repairs, serious delays and backlogs to maintenance are deliberate so that the locals have continuous employment. Get real, you know as well as I do that corruption with road construction and maintenance contracts leads to the appalling state of roads in many parts of the Country.

The next time you come off your bike due to a pothole, or the shocks and suspension on your vehicle are needing replacement I'll bet you don't say to yourself "That's O'K', I don't mind forking out all my cash for hospital bills or repairs - the locals have got jobs'

Of course they are deliberate. They use cheap cement, while charging for more expensive. This is a widely accepted practice.  Don't accept it if you want.

Did I say anywhere that I condone this?

I'm not stupid enough to ride a bike or motorcycle in Thailand.

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

What's up with calling such guys "Papa"?

He is not your damn papa.

A century ago or so, the Africans called the missionaries  "Great White Father."  Maybe same idea....due to his charitable endeavors...  :whistling: