Interesting and Odd People you've encountered in Thailand

JJGreen

Who are some of the odd and interesting people who have crossed your path here?

Today on the mrt I sat next to an elderly gentleman... he would doze off...then wake and begin talking to himself while also writing with one finger across the palm of his other hand...then doze off again and repeat.

With the topics that you have created over the course of the last 2 months.

One can draw no other conclusion than you are just a magnet for the oddities, waifs and strays and low lifes that can be found in Thailand.

In almost decade here, I have not came across what you have in 2 months.

Kudos to you :whistling::whistling:

7 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

One can draw no other conclusion than you are just a magnet for the oddities, waifs and strays and low lifes that can be found in Thailand.

I tink you may get a reply like you should get out more Sgt.  :laugh:  :biggrin:

Kudos to you default_whistling.gifdefault_whistling.gif

Maybe u don't recognise interesting and Odd people

I haven't   met so many in Thailand but in the Philippines at least one in three  people I met was either an airline pilot, astronaut, or  a Special Forces  colonel.

Then one day at the Orchid Inn bar a guy sat next to me and during the conversation he pulled out his NASA ID card showing he was indeed an army  colonel.   He admitted he didn't know squat about that over which he was in charge and instead relied on his charges to do the thinking.

All strange to me.

Edited by watcharacters

I was at a birthday party of a fellow Englishman who is a pal of mine in Pattaya and one of the other guests was an elderly American who was also a chum of my pal. Both my pal and this Yank had served in the Korean War in the early 1950s.

The Yank had been a card dealer in Las Vegas for years and told us some interesting and funny stories about his experiences there. Unlike many of his countrymen not once did he mention money, investments or 'real estate'.  

He also showed us some card tricks using our pack of cards not his. These tricks were simply amazing and ones I had never seen before and we were all flabbergasted at his skill and trickery, it was as if we were watching a genuine magician at work.

He was also good company and a bit of a comedian. After his card tricks he asked if any of us fancied playing cards for money with him and the way asked the question was really comical. Naturally we all laughingly refused his invitation.

I recently asked my pal what had become of his card playing friend but apparently he was no longer in Pattaya. He had also spent time in the PI. He was one bloke I'd love to meet up with again.

Edited by yogi100

Does your question extent to foreigners? If so, many of the Australians I've come across have been

nothing short of fascinating. As an American, I consider myself coming from a country of immigrants,, which it is. But, many of the Australians I meet are often direct immigrants themselves, rather than a second/third gen. immigrant, like myself.

They have such interesting stories. I find them confident and always ready for fun....like less repressed Americans, if you will.

A single person? sorry, no. But, on the whole, Oz gets my vote.

Hooroo!

ps...JJ...I like your topics. 

I lived in a moo bahn a few years ago, quite nice place, tidy gardens, well maintained, but there was one house that was a pig's sty by anyone's standards, and the family that lived there were not the cleanest of people, yet they were tolerated because the father could fix absolutely anything. His fame stretched to other villages nearby, and he never had a minute to himself, as he was always fixing a drainpipe or welding a gate.

I had a beer with him one night, very quiet fellow and well mannered.

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Maybe you are a boring old fart! 

19 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I lived in a moo bahn a few years ago, quite nice place, tidy gardens, well maintained, but there was one house that was a pig's sty by anyone's standards, and the family that lived there were not the cleanest of people, yet they were tolerated because the father could fix absolutely anything. His fame stretched to other villages nearby, and he never had a minute to himself, as he was always fixing a drainpipe or welding a gate.

I had a beer with him one night, very quiet fellow and well mannered.

Well he didn't have the time to keep his place clean, did he? All those pesky villagers never giving him any peace, always needing his services for this and that. 

Maybe you are a boring old fart! 

Possibly he repels interesting people

Does your question extent to foreigners?

ps...JJ...I like your topics. 

Yes, anyone u have come across in Thailand ...

And thanks...

I was at a birthday party of a fellow Englishman who is a pal of mine in Pattaya and one of the other guests was an elderly American who was also a chum of my pal. Both my pal and this Yank had served in the Korean War in the early 1950s.

The Yank had been a card dealer in Las Vegas for years and told us some interesting and funny stories about his experiences there. Unlike many of his countrymen not once did he mention money, investments or 'real estate'.  

He also showed us some card tricks using our pack of cards not his. These tricks were simply amazing and ones I had never seen before and we were all flabbergasted at his skill and trickery, it was as if we were watching a genuine magician at work.

He was also good company and a bit of a comedian. After his card tricks he asked if any of us fancied playing cards for money with him and the way asked the question was really comical. Naturally we all laughingly refused his invitation.

I recently asked my pal what had become of his card playing friend but apparently he was no longer in Pattaya. He had also spent time in the PI. He was one bloke I'd love to meet up with again.

I admire the dexterity of the good card trick guys...

When u break it down to a simple 52 Pack of cards being a main prop of tricks for over 100 years...and still entertaining

Take it which ever way you like. I know what it meant.

You are a sweet guy. Following my every thread and posting in them.
Some would say it's stalking but I know u are just enamoured with me.
Private message me your bio and I'll see if I can slot u in for a 15 minute coffee meet up...no promises though dude!

Mercifully no. I have come across few odd people or interesting people in Thailand. But recently, in 10 days I met more interesting people in Hanoi than 10 years in Thailand. Thailand is an easy place to live and travel and not adventurous. That's why generation pantie waist come here to 'party' and oldies come to retire.

I had a nutter worshiping me in the summer in Udon. He stops his push-bike - leaving it in the middle of the road on the prop stand - and runs over to Mr Doing His Laundry for Twenty Baht and starts with the prostrating himself, touching my feet, the whole thing. I'm trying to drag him up and eventually he left. Twenty minutes later, f&&k he's back. He got me twice more the next week. I don't think he was looking for money, but I had to avoid the places where I thought he might get me.  

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Private message me your bio and I'll see if I can slot u in for a 15 minute coffee meet up...no promises though dude!

555 i'd rather get a head job of a buffalo but you carry on having your perverted thoughts if you enjoy.

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Well the truth at last now we know why your in thialand. Beach road seaward side in Pattaya will get your juices flowing.

One of the nicest people i have met in Thailand was a guy called ***** (surname unknown). He came to Thailand from Burma during WW2 and as a child, he ended up becoming a translator for the Japanese occupying force, this was his only way of surviving. After the war he remained based in Thailand. When Vietnam happened, he was there as a translator/interrogator for the Americans. He was a man of no country legally when i met him as he had no paperwork with the exception of a 'world passport' which the American Marines got for him after years of (again) translating during every Cobra Gold exercise. 

Quiet spoken, and i only ever saw him drinking tea, but the stories and recollection the man had was incredible. Perhaps i was just gullible, but i never had reason to doubt anything Robert had to say. His fascination was reading and i used to keep all the papers for him and he had access to our little library in the bar especially the factual historic books.

Last i saw of him, he was moving to Bkk where one of his sons was going to look after him in his old age. A true gentleman, he owned nothing of material value but belonged to a treasure trove of memories.

Edited by cdnvic

No shortage of "Interesting People" in the sticks of Thailand.
The Thai's are and remain "Alien" to us Farangs and vice versa. Makes for "Interesting People".
A Farang, having built a 4 million Bht Mansion for "Wifey" on Family land ("Wifey" is 20 years younger), makes automatically for an "Interesting Person".
Can't complain, I have met a lot of "Interesting People".................
Cheers.