Deputy PM confirms current administration has power to dissolve new parliament

rooster59

Deputy PM confirms current administration has power to dissolve new parliament

Jettana Pantana

BANGKOK, 30 September 2016 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said today that the current administration and NCPO will have the power to dissolve the newly elected parliament should it fail to elect a suitable prime minister. 

Mr Wissanu revealed that the Constitutional Court has unanimously agreed to allow the Senate to take part in the selection process of the new prime minister, save for the candidate nomination process. The court also called for the new constitution to clearly state that an unelected prime minister can be nominated within the first 5 years of the new constitution. 

Mr Wissanu added that the current government has the power to dissolve the newly elected parliament should it fail to agree on a new prime minister, as the current government will still have power under article 44 until the day the new government is sworn in.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-01

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did they even need to stifle freedom of speech before the referendum?

It's not like the junta selecting all 250 senators who will then propose an unelected PM who will rule for 8 years—and will simply dissolve the newly elected Parliament if they fail to select the correct unelected PM—is anything even closely resembling the draft constitution which (only 34% of) the population endorsed.

Returning Thailand to democracy - does anyone still believe this?

12 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Don't they mean if you don't elect the pm we want we will dissolve parliament?

And the power to do so, comes from articles various and lots of big guns.

The slide down the slippery slope is gaining momentum.

It should be quite clear to the Thai electorate that they can elect whomever they want, if and when elections are returned, but the military will always have the last word.

They've got the taste and won't be giving up power

so there is actually going to be an effective body that holds any elected government to account

That will be a first in Thailand and IMO is very welcome

nothing like being forced to actually do what you are elected to do

Might I add - I will be the first to call foul with a huge red card if they do anything that interferes with what most reasonable people would regard as normal government affairs 

lets see if an elected government can do what it is supposed to do for the first time in Thai  history

oh yes, some people will be pissed off because their revenue stream is being cut off......I see nothing at all wrong with that

30 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Don't they mean if you don't elect the pm we want we will dissolve parliament?

And the power to do so, comes from articles various and lots of big guns.

The slide down the slippery slope is gaining momentum.

I'm going to post this again because it is great reading if you want to understand TiT, it pretty much sums up what goes on here year after year, now we might have someone to scrutinise any elected government - it Is the constitution that is supposed do that but since any elected government in Thailand can manipulate everything to suit their needs ........................... they believe that because they won and election  then they have the ultimate power to do anything - and there is exactly where the problem is, if these people understood what democracy actually is and if they would also believe that elected or not - they cannot simply do what ever the f     they want - it is not as simple as that - but hey..................................going forward we will have a body of people who's task is to make sure  any future elected government - does its job .........................not easy

anyway - here is a post I made in another thread....pretty much explains who stuff works here in Thailand 

if you understand how corruption works in this country then the only side (as some refer too) that is able to effectively corrupt are those that are in office and hold all the aces (excluding the military - see below)

It goes something like this

1. First and highest priority - win an election by any means to get into government

- Once Elected

2. Remove key people in key jobs and replace them with your cronies/relatives

3. All affiliate organisations and people will take over various concessions local authorities etc (we are redshirt)

4. Dismantle - weaken - reorganise institutions that are meant to combat illegal activities such as corruption, remove people that will not comply

5. Amend the parts of the constitution  that inhibit your ability to corrupt

6. Lie through your teeth and hide irregularities associated with government finance

Once everything is set in place - thieve as much as you can until the people become aware of what you are up too and take to the streets in protest 

Yes the military are likely corrupt also as is almost every person in the country - they are all at it in one way or another

The current PM walks a very thin line, if he attempts to interfere with certain people he may find himself out of a job, fighting corruption in Thailand is no easy task, it needs to be done in steps and for obvious reasons the military are going to be one of the last that needs to eventually be dealt with. Others that come before would be the Judiciary and the police - none of it easy.

One thing is for sure, whoever takes on such a mammoth task needs to be holding all the aces for a very long time, the only type of person that fits the role will be a very powerful military person that has good intensions and the means to see it through.

The only other option would be a civil war were the military are eventually dismantled and someone or some group with good intensions wins - very unlikely - hugely costly and damaging to the country  

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Why did they even need to stifle freedom of speech before the referendum?

It's not like the junta selecting all 250 senators who will then propose an unelected PM who will rule for 8 years—and will simply dissolve the newly elected Parliament if they fail to select the correct unelected PM—is anything even closely resembling the draft constitution which (only 34% of) the population endorsed.

Returning Thailand to democracy - does anyone still believe this?

AFAIK the senate does NOT propose the PM, they only have the right to vote for a candidate IF the house cannot agree.

What a sad state of affairs.  Why even have a charade of an election?  Why waste the time and effort to "elect" a PM?  After all the military did take over so they can do what they want.   Obviously they don't want to understand what an election means.  An election means that's the person!  An election doesn't mean, nope, pick another until you choose who I like!  Are they just planning on doing the election so they can claim some sort of legitimacy? 

46 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

What a sad state of affairs.  Why even have a charade of an election?  Why waste the time and effort to "elect" a PM?  After all the military did take over so they can do what they want.   Obviously they don't want to understand what an election means.  An election means that's the person!  An election doesn't mean, nope, pick another until you choose who I like!  Are they just planning on doing the election so they can claim some sort of legitimacy? 

How dumb is that - do you honestly believe Thailand has ever had an election that wasn't a charade - seriously

and if you want to be educated as to how it developes from there then read my post above

consider yourself educated  

1 hour ago, halloween said:

AFAIK the senate does NOT propose the PM, they only have the right to vote for a candidate IF the house cannot agree.

correct, but others here make stuff up out of pure ignorance and stupidity - all future elected governments  for at least the next 20 years will be held accountable - past constitutions tried to do that - agencies tried to do that - but elected governments tried to dismantle any law- constitution article or agency that stepped in their way, now that is not going to happen because there is an agency that cannot be dismantled that is going to make sure that all future elected governments abide by the law and work in the interests of the people and the country............now you can say all you want about this agency and how it will be run but the bottom line is - if they achieve their goal then what a game changer we are looking at in Thailand right now and going forward - future governments will actually be doing the job they are supposed to be doing

The house AND senate need to have 66% of the vote for a PM. This means that if the entire senate vote one way theonly way the house can have an effect is if 99% vote together for the same candidate. :blink:

Just now, SABloke said:

The house AND senate need to have 66% of the vote for a PM. This means that if the entire senate vote one way theonly way the house can have an effect is if 99% vote together for the same candidate. :blink:

Quietly ignoring that the senate only gets to vote if the house cannot agree to a suitable PM.

18 minutes ago, halloween said:

Quietly ignoring that the senate only gets to vote if the house cannot agree to a suitable PM.

Are you sure? I believe they get to vote the same as the MP's, which was the crux of the additional question in the referendum. It is quite clearly set up to create turmoil so a PM can be appointed.

7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Are you sure? I believe they get to vote the same as the MP's, which was the crux of the additional question in the referendum. It is quite clearly set up to create turmoil so a PM can be appointed.

The selection process is a sequential multi-step arrangement. AFAIK the house attempts to elect a PM, if that fails the senate gets to vote, if an elected MP can't be agreed upon outside candidates are proposed, and if that fails the house is dissolved. All quite logical, and at any time the procedure to the next step can be prevented by electing  a compromise candidate.

4 minutes ago, halloween said:

The selection process is a sequential multi-step arrangement. AFAIK the house attempts to elect a PM, if that fails the senate gets to vote, if an elected MP can't be agreed upon outside candidates are proposed, and if that fails the house is dissolved. All quite logical, and at any time the procedure to the next step can be prevented by electing  a compromise candidate.

It is quite clearly set up that the lower house will not be able to elect an MP, an therefore the Senate will be brought in. This is quite clearly the plan to have an appointed PM. I think you know this though.

The military will control all 250 votes of the Senate, and no doubt will have enough control/bought off enough seats (think of their Buriram/Southern friends) in the lower house to ensure stalemate. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

so there is actually going to be an effective body that holds any elected government to account

That will be a first in Thailand and IMO is very welcome

nothing like being forced to actually do what you are elected to do

Might I add - I will be the first to call foul with a huge red card if they do anything that interferes with what most reasonable people would regard as normal government affairs 

lets see if an elected government can do what it is supposed to do for the first time in Thai  history

oh yes, some people will be pissed off because their revenue stream is being cut off......I see nothing at all wrong with that

"so there is actually going to be an effective body that holds any elected government to account"

Right.  You consider the military an effective body, even though it has never proven itself effective at anything but coups and profiting from corruption.

"Might I add - I will be the first to call foul with a huge red card if they do anything that interferes with what most reasonable people would regard as normal government affairs "

That's good.  Thailand has smedly as there government watchdog.  I'm sure the people are greatly relieved.

correct, but others here make stuff up out of pure ignorance and stupidity - all future elected governments  for at least the next 20 years will be held accountable - past constitutions tried to do that - agencies tried to do that - but elected governments tried to dismantle any law- constitution article or agency that stepped in their way, now that is not going to happen because there is an agency that cannot be dismantled that is going to make sure that all future elected governments abide by the law and work in the interests of the people and the country............now you can say all you want about this agency and how it will be run but the bottom line is - if they achieve their goal then what a game changer we are looking at in Thailand right now and going forward - future governments will actually be doing the job they are supposed to be doing

So naive.

All future governments (for 8 years at least) will be military, and will not be held accountable.

The police and judicial reforms, the two basic reforms required to move this country forward, are not even on the table, nor will they be under this regime.

But keep grasping...

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

It is quite clearly set up that the lower house will not be able to elect an MP, an therefore the Senate will be brought in. This is quite clearly the plan to have an appointed PM. I think you know this though.

The military will control all 250 votes of the Senate, and no doubt will have enough control/bought off enough seats (think of their Buriram/Southern friends) in the lower house to ensure stalemate. 

I know nothing of the sort. The senate will not be involved if the house elects a PM. This would normally be the leader of the largest party in an agreed coalition.

This only thing quite clear is that this is inconvenient to the scare-mongers.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

How dumb is that - do you honestly believe Thailand has ever had an election that wasn't a charade - seriously

and if you want to be educated as to how it developes from there then read my post above

consider yourself educated  

The 2011 election was considered mostly free and fair by independent observers.

24 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wow. he has done it. the end of the coup system. no more pesky coups every 4 years on average. i did not believe it would happen in my lifetime. a great step forward for thailand.

Ah yes the eternal coup now replaces those "pesky" ones. A great step forward hmm look at Burma